Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry/Start Not Reliable

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 07:59 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keyless Entry/Start Not Reliable

My keyless entry doesn't work very well. After the car has been locked for over 20 minutes (sleep mode), you have to push the button on the door handle many times for the Defender to unlock. The same upon entering the car, often you can't use the push button start until it recognizes the key (15 to 30 seconds). This only occurs when the keyfob is in my front pant pocket. If the keyfob is in my hand or I use the buttons on the fob, everything works normally.

I took it in for service to troubleshoot it. I got the dreaded, "We couldn't reproduce the problem." response. Later I found out the Technician had the keyfob in his hand or breast pocket when testing. I did tell them it only happens when I have it in my pant's pocket. Also, left a note in the car explaining the problem to the Technician.

Anyone else have this issue. The dealer said they had 2 other Defenders in for the same problem. Imagine that. Maybe I'll just sew special key pockets to all my shirts.

The following users liked this post:
noor440 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 08:13 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My keyless entry seems to be cursed with the same issue. It feels like a crapshoot whenever I walk up to open using the button on the driver's door. Often it's easier just to unlock via the rear passenger door. It seems like it's maybe related to the proximity sensor not picking up the key when in my right pant pocket as I approach the car from the rear and then press the door button.

For me, it's 80:20 whether it works. Locking works every time. If I am parallel with the middle of the door it seems to work better. (Maybe that's wishful thinking that it's not just LR unreliable tech at work).

However, zero issues with push-button start.

Last edited by gwelland; 04-04-2021 at 05:25 AM.
Kev M (05-02-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 11:45 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Same issues here. The start button problem seems to be getting more common for me which is more annoying than the door issue.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:39 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I've noticed some irregularities when unlocking, front door button not working, rear button working. Never had an issue with the start button,

noor440 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same issue with both the unlock of the front driver's door and the start/stop button. Only happens when unlocking the door and starting the vehicle. It's at the dealer now to address the "emergency steering and emergency braking unavailable" issue which has been happening since the day I picked it up. I need to tell them about the unlocking issue as well. It is annoying.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

yeah, it's weird how it's only flaky on the unlock side. it locks first time every time for me. super annoying.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:23 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've have the same issue, I've noticed if I have nothing else in the pocket other than the key, it works a lot more reliably. But that's not a solution, I've never had this issue with any other car. I'll tell the dealer when I take it in next time

Old 05-02-2021, 04:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gwelland
My keyless entry seems to be cursed with the same issue. It feels like a crapshoot whenever I walk up to open using the button on the driver's door. Often it's easier just to unlock via the rear passenger door. It seems like it's maybe related to the proximity sensor not picking up the key when in my right pant pocket as I approach the car from the rear and then press the door button.

For me, it's 80:20 whether it works. Locking works every time. If I am parallel with the middle of the door it seems to work better. (Maybe that's wishful thinking that it's not just LR unreliable tech at work).

However, zero issues with push-button start.
Just really noticed this with the doors this week

Very often won't unlock when I push the driver's door button but will for the driver's side rear passenger door.

Hit or miss with the keyless start but have often had to pull it out of my pocket.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine works perfectly every time

Old 05-03-2021, 05:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Same issues for me. Driver door button has random moods of working and not working. Won't start with the fob in my left pants pocket, prefers I keep it in my right pants pocket. Maybe intentional to honor the tradition of British auto electronics.

Our LR4 fobs work great, from really far away. Can lock/unlock from 100 yards away. LR4 senses when you are close and unlocks when you pull on any door handle. No button to push. You can put an LR4 key fob in a duffle bag in the way back and it starts perfectly. Amazing LR was able to take a step back in fob technology with a new model.

noor440 (05-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry/Start Not Reliable