2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ladder / side steps on Defender 110?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 01:28 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ladder / side steps on Defender 110?

Ordering a Defernder 110 which I will use a cargo box on very often + surf gear in summer. I barely manage on my disco sport so thinking about ladder / side step.

Do any of you that have a ladder / side steps recommend it? The deployable side steps look amazing but the cost is high and I'm worried about reliability (another thing to break).

David

Old 12-05-2021, 01:50 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Side steps

Originally Posted by daviddarmanin
Ordering a Defernder 110 which I will use a cargo box on very often + surf gear in summer. I barely manage on my disco sport so thinking about ladder / side step.

Do any of you that have a ladder / side steps recommend it? The deployable side steps look amazing but the cost is high and I'm worried about reliability (another thing to break).

David
Just received these yesterday, still in the box, with plans to install later this week. Came with trim removal tools, trim clip removal tool and spare trim clips, because they are sacrificial when removing them, and all mounting hardware.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the ladder and it’s an engineering marvel, very robust. It’s a life saver when I need to set up a cargo box. It’s very high getting up there. Highly recommend it. Side steps aren’t needed for food access because you really need to have the doors open as well and use that step area to reach up.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 12-05-2021 at 06:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Laszlo:
4x4 DAVE (12-06-2021), Simon14 (12-08-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:39 AM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

I’ll second the LR ladder. Installed mine after about 6 months with our Defender and it’s awesome. Extremely functional and easy to use. We do some surfing as well, getting the boards secured on the rack is infinitely easier with the ladder.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

check out the Lucky8 ladder. that is the one that I am considering seriously.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwood
check out the Lucky8 ladder. that is the one that I am considering seriously.
I checked out the Lucky8 and liked the look, but it just didn't seem as functional in the end. Smaller foot spaces, confined to organizing anything from the rear of the car, more expensive, and the first step is actually fairly high. At first I thought the LR option looked a little gimmicky in pictures but after seeing it in person it really is a nice setup. The side access gives you the ability to reach just about anywhere on the rack.

Last edited by 4Corsa; 12-07-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Ladders on vehicles/Defenders are as much form as they are function. I respect those who are fond of the JLR version, but I'm too much of an old school LR person for it. I am a huge fan of the Lucky8 (other than the price!) and it works for me. I'm not a small guy (ok, I'm 6'3" and over weight) but have had no problem scampering up the thing. I have much more ability to reach right/left off the rear than just one side or the other. Granted, not the same for the front, but easily reach up there from the front doors when standing on the foot wells. If I need to scamper up there, I've had no issues with the ladder narrowing at the top. Frankly, I'm already up there by the time I need the top step anyway. I think it's more for aesthetics or balance anyway. I recently added a "step" to a toe ring with a quick release **** to make it even easier to go up the ladder or to stand there accessing the back.

There are those who will love the side (though I think we can all pan the Voyager version) and those that like the L8 version. I'm just in the later ladder list.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

A ladder is a great option. A must if you're using the rack as intended.

Side steps are to me, completely without merit. Even in off-road height my kids can clamber in with ease. In access height it's a non-issue for anyone. The steps detract from the clean lines of the Defender to my eye at least, and add nothing to functionality.

To each their own of course. Some folks love the look no doubt. YMMV

Last edited by GavinC; 12-06-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

I actually like the voyager ladder more than either oem or L8. Completely functional and in keeping with the traditional round bar look. As for sidesteps, they truly make no sense if you plan to ever off road. Better to get sliders which can also aid as steps when needed.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 06:35 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
I actually like the voyager ladder more than either oem or L8. Completely functional and in keeping with the traditional round bar look. As for sidesteps, they truly make no sense if you plan to ever off road. Better to get sliders which can also aid as steps when needed.
i agree, i really like the voyager rack and ladder combo. I might like the l8 ladder slightly more but doesnt look like it can fit with the voyager rack, which imo is the best looking rack

Quick Reply: Ladder / side steps on Defender 110?