Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover ADM's

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts
Default Land Rover ADM's

I have to start by saying this is a little off-topic but it involves an LR dealer and it's inspired by my new Defender.

​​​​​​My wife loves mine and decided last week that she wants a new car too. She wants a new Range Rover Autobiography. I called the local dealer and left a message with the receptionist for a call back.

I somehow got 2 calls back. Both calls were basically me asking, "I want one. Are you selling at sticker?"

The first guy said no, $20k ADM. I politely said "no thanks."

The next day another guy calls back and he says no markup. I told him the guy yesterday said $20k. He tells me that's because the salesperson has the OPTION to markup... for a bonus.

Okay, bad dealership.

Then I call about the other car she wants. A Taycan. I know. Drastically different. I love my speed demon wife.

The first guy says no markup but we can't get allocation. His boss is at the next desk arguing about... charging an ADM. Again, my sales guy tells me they have the discretion to wave it and he always does.

I call yet another Porsche dealership and get a guy on the phone. "We have allocation for April delivery". I'm like great. He says, buuuut it's $10k markup.

I go in there today to drive one and figure I'll buy at sticker but I'll walk on an ADM. Long story longer... my wife loves it and we configure it. The salesman says, let me print it and give you a written quote. NO ADM. Never even mentioned. So I tell him "we'll take it" but I have to ask.... "It's optional. We get a little better commission but I want you to buy from me again."

First of all, that's a great salesperson to conduct himself that way. He was a hell of a nice guy. I imagine he has a loyal following.

Second, WTH is going on? I just assumed the dealerships made the decisions and it's maybe negotiable with the sales manager or GM but not just so random.

Then I run into it at 3 dealerships in a week. We're being played with like bunnies.

Also, the Taycan is one hell of a car. Frost blue with a chalk white and stark black interior really nice tech. Gorgeous car. Murders a Tesla and it will be here in just 9 weeks.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GavinC (02-04-2022), GrouseK9 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 08:54 PM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting anecdote, thanks for sharing. What region are you in? I feel like the dealers are better aligned in very high cost areas than more normal metros.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Bjs1234
Interesting anecdote, thanks for sharing. What region are you in? I feel like the dealers are better aligned in very high cost areas than more normal metros.
Orlando. You're probably right about that.

The following users liked this post:
Bjs1234 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 12:49 AM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I have to start by saying this is a little off-topic but it involves an LR dealer and it's inspired by my new Defender.

​​​​​​My wife loves mine and decided last week that she wants a new car too. She wants a new Range Rover Autobiography. I called the local dealer and left a message with the receptionist for a call back.

I somehow got 2 calls back. Both calls were basically me asking, "I want one. Are you selling at sticker?"

The next day another guy calls back and he says no markup. I told him the guy yesterday said $20k. He tells me that's because the salesperson has the OPTION to markup... for a bonus.

Okay, bad dealership.

Then I call about the other car she wants. A Taycan. I know. Drastically different. I love my speed demon wife.

The first guy says no markup but we can't get allocation. His boss is at the next desk arguing about... charging an ADM. Again, my sales guy tells me they have the discretion to wave it and he always does.

I call yet another Porsche dealership and get a guy on the phone. "We have allocation for April delivery". I'm like great. He says, buuuut it's $10k markup.

I go in there today to drive one and figure I'll buy at sticker but I'll walk on an ADM. Long story longer... my wife loves it and we configure it. The salesman says, let me print it and give you a written quote. NO ADM. Never even mentioned. So I tell him "we'll take it" but I have to ask.... "It's optional. We get a little better commission but I want you to buy from me again."

First of all, that's a great salesperson to conduct himself that way. He was a hell of a nice guy. I imagine he has a loyal following.

Second, WTH is going on? I just assumed the dealerships made the decisions and it's maybe negotiable with the sales manager or GM but not just so random.

Then I run into it at 3 dealerships in a week. We're being played with like bunnies.

Also, the Taycan is one hell of a car. Frost blue with a chalk white and stark black interior really nice tech. Gorgeous car. Murders a Tesla and it will be here in just 9 weeks.
curious how it murders a tesla ? Other than interior quality of course. Just sold my model S LR with the yoke… greatest sedan I ever had but it was a quick way to make some money in this market

Old 02-05-2022, 07:27 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Orlando. You're probably right about that.
I'm working with the Orlando dealerships and have been curious about others' experiences. I haven't ventured down to the Millennia dealership but spoke with the manager at Land Rover Orlando at length and he had made it sound like the new dealership down south had become increasingly aggressive about ADMs, and they wouldn't be doing that for new car orders, but that unfortunately they had to "play the game" with any used car/new stock and there would be significant markup. He had made it sound like he felt high ADMs weren't very sustainable for new customer growth. Makes sense to me but this market is just simply crazy right now.

At the current rate, I feel like the Grenadier may arrive before my Defender order. I placed an order for a Bronco over a year ago and nothing but crickets. My wife jokes we are going to end up with a driveway full of new cars....there are worse things.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by maxmk8
curious how it murders a tesla ? Other than interior quality of course. Just sold my model S LR with the yoke… greatest sedan I ever had but it was a quick way to make some money in this market
Part of it is material quality, paint, fit, and finish. Admittedly, it needs the $4700 full-leather pack to get rid of some cringe vinyl on the dash and doors but it really is put together well. The rest is subjective. The styling, drive feel, and overall presence of this car is just more enjoyable to me than a Tesla.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Part of it is material quality, paint, fit, and finish. Admittedly, it needs the $4700 full-leather pack to get rid of some cringe vinyl on the dash and doors but it really is put together well. The rest is subjective. The styling, drive feel, and overall presence of this car is just more enjoyable to me than a Tesla.
Which Taycan do you have?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by KidWagon2
I'm working with the Orlando dealerships and have been curious about others' experiences. I haven't ventured down to the Millennia dealership but spoke with the manager at Land Rover Orlando at length and he had made it sound like the new dealership down south had become increasingly aggressive about ADMs, and they wouldn't be doing that for new car orders, but that unfortunately they had to "play the game" with any used car/new stock and there would be significant markup. He had made it sound like he felt high ADMs weren't very sustainable for new customer growth. Makes sense to me but this market is just simply crazy right now.

At the current rate, I feel like the Grenadier may arrive before my Defender order. I placed an order for a Bronco over a year ago and nothing but crickets. My wife jokes we are going to end up with a driveway full of new cars....there are worse things.
That manager at Maitland, if he's the guy I'm thinking of (drives a silver Defender), he's the only one that seems to be good at that dealership.

If you go to South Orlando, Abner is a pretty good guy. He sold my wife her F-Pace when it first came out. He offered a Defender at sticker a couple weeks before they added LR and moved from Millenia. They are now way down by Hunter's Creek. Nice new dealership but absolutely terrible location. My order from another dealership was delayed so I almost did it but they just didn't have what I wanted.

KidWagon2 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 08:55 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Which Taycan do you have?
Ordering the 4S with Mission-E wheels/upgraded brakes, full leather, premium pack, glass roof, and a couple other options.

TestnDoc (02-16-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 09:07 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Okay, bad dealership.

So, very similar experiences on Defender and Audi..

Defender- in the market seeing both AMD and a ton of nonsense being added. Ceramic coating, added accessories, mandatory maintenance, and good old nitro tires. This one particular dealership has started a detailing business and they option it up with ceramic etc to add another 5-10k to the car- and none of that goes to the sales person for commission calculations. Net net,was seeing 90s in various configs hitting their lot at 20-25k over msrp. Get out of here. Ordered a loaded D90 X at MSRP with a Feb build date.

Audi- have been in the market for RS 6 Avant and / or RS Etron GT since 'nam. Put an exclusive order in for the Etron 9 months ago- and have heard nothing. Saw an Avant that hit the lot- MSRP'd at 125k, dealer says "we have a bid on it for 155" so I told them good luck.

In the first case, that dealership is really doing a disservice to the sales team. They jack the prices up and take all the spoils- and screw the sales people. I know two that have left and they gave me the inside story.

On audi, its an order in purgatory. I really liked the Taycan w the mission e wheels, etc- but I hated the usability of the screens, especially the zillion hops to work air conditioning. It is a ridiculous car- and my wife drives a Porsche. The dealership knows that they roll people in and out of cars all day long and they want to keep their customers happy. Audi could learn a thing or two...

Sick garage btw!!!

Quick Reply: Land Rover ADM's