Sponsored by:

Larger Tires - Info and Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 02:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Larger Tires - Info and Feedback

Fellow Members,

I have searched the boards but have not been really able to locate much on this, surprisingly. I just put on 1.5" Johnson Rods on my 110 P300 and plan to upgrade to ~33" tires. I plan to get BF Goodrich K02, as I have always had those tires and like them. With that said, it seems that the only ones available in that size are Load Range E (10-Ply), which each weigh 20 pounds more than the GoodYears that came on the car. Adding 20 pounds of unsprung and rotating weight seems like it would add quite a bit of sluggishness to the car, but I also have no experience with this.

Can anyone chime in that has installed these tires or similar on their P300 and tell me if you noticed a profound difference in gas mileage, drivability, sluggishness, etc? Before I spend the money on tires I would love another opinion or few.

Also, other than re-gearing, is there a solution out there to recalibrate the speedometer to ensure accurate speed and odometer readings? I had a tuner in my Jeep that easily allowed this change in a few moments. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-10-2022, 07:35 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

I have 265/70/18 General X3s on my 110S. They are 10-ply e load mud terrains. I’m sure on a dyno there is a hp difference at the wheel, but I truly don’t notice any difference in noise/comfort
/handling at equivalent psi (so psi that gives close to the oem load rating, obv im not running at 80 psi). Mpg is probably down, but i cant tell how much since i’ve been off road pretty much every day since getting these mounted.

no lift rods. 32.6” diameter 60 lbs each

Last edited by Mcdooogs; 05-11-2022 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:51 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

I’m using BFG-KO2 285/65r18:
E load
32.5” diameter
58.2lbs

I don’t notice any difference with power but there is a fuel penalty of 1 or 2 MPG. Consider part of that may be due to the increased height with the lift rods.
Speedometer is off by 1 mile per hour (actual speed is +1). Not an issue.

Last edited by dj200; 05-11-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:43 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

adding rotational weight as you mentioned is the worst possible weight to add. one of the reason why forged ultra light wheels on sports cars are so expensive

i went from oem Michellin street tires to a larger K02 on a aftermarket flow forge wheel. i saved around 5 pounds per wheel which helped a little offset the tire weight.

i felt a difference off the line and getting the car to slow down. didn’t think too much into it as you have too sacrifice if you want the off road performance

that being said, i had decided the time off road is minimal and went with a less aggressive tire, lighter weight and less noise on my new settup. I am still undecided but in between the Nitto Terra Grappler or BFG Trail Terrian.

QUOTE=wkcwkc;824623]Fellow Members,

I have searched the boards but have not been really able to locate much on this, surprisingly. I just put on 1.5" Johnson Rods on my 110 P300 and plan to upgrade to ~33" tires. I plan to get BF Goodrich K02, as I have always had those tires and like them. With that said, it seems that the only ones available in that size are Load Range E (10-Ply), which each weigh 20 pounds more than the GoodYears that came on the car. Adding 20 pounds of unsprung and rotating weight seems like it would add quite a bit of sluggishness to the car, but I also have no experience with this.

Can anyone chime in that has installed these tires or similar on their P300 and tell me if you noticed a profound difference in gas mileage, drivability, sluggishness, etc? Before I spend the money on tires I would love another opinion or few.

Also, other than re-gearing, is there a solution out there to recalibrate the speedometer to ensure accurate speed and odometer readings? I had a tuner in my Jeep that easily allowed this change in a few moments. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Old 05-11-2022, 03:52 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by wkcwkc
Fellow Members,

Also, other than re-gearing, is there a solution out there to recalibrate the speedometer to ensure accurate speed and odometer readings? I had a tuner in my Jeep that easily allowed this change in a few moments. Thanks in advance!
This is why we use the Goodyear tyres for the off-road packages and for extra duty (Duratrac) as the have very low weights relative to their size. The K02 is a fine tyre but you will notice that it slows you down a touch and carries a minor mileage penalty.

I know people in the US love trying to fit 33"+ tyres to their vehicles but it's really not necessary. The factory diameter with a good tyre will see you through everything.

The following 4 users liked this post by The Insider:
AussieAdventures (05-12-2022), catman (05-11-2022), GrouseK9 (05-12-2022), mopadzi (05-16-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 05:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Oddly enough. The BFG KO2 in the OEM size. 255/70 R18 is one of the few LT D rated tyres in that range and just slightly heavier than the Duratracs. Quite a bit cheaper too. Every other BFG in the 32" are E rated it seems.
265/70R18, (~32.6")
265/65R18 (~32")
275/55R20 (~32")

Maybe that's not all that odd. It just seems like a strange outlier in a sea of E rated AT's. Granted, the Adentures and Duratracs are XL load rated.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Insider
This is why we use the Goodyear tyres for the off-road packages and for extra duty (Duratrac) as the have very low weights relative to their size. The K02 is a fine tyre but you will notice that it slows you down a touch and carries a minor mileage penalty.

I know people in the US love trying to fit 33"+ tyres to their vehicles but it's really not necessary. The factory diameter with a good tyre will see you through everything.
sorry but the oem AT Goodyears have very weak sidewalls. i cant recommend hitting up any real rocky trails with them

The following users liked this post:
dj200 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider

Another problem in Europe with the Duratrac is that unfortunately (as I understand) in many countries you cannot drive them legally or risk insurance issues due to the lower speed rating than the car's max speed.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I've done a few questionable mods to my Defender already (depending on your style preferences). But I have to say, the MOST impactful thing I've done (noise, mpg, handling) has not been the tires, but the PowerfulUk Molle plates. I put them on early and was too naive to know better before I got used to them. Used them when overlanding and enjoy them. But they are now DEFINITELY on my "only add when going on a trek" list. Once I saw Simon on a subsequent video with them off, I started to become skeptical that they were the largest contributor to the handling/noise/mpg issues. I will readily admit that the 285/65-18 EDIT: 285/60-18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers are NOTHING compared to those. I'm also thinking of just going Clark Kent. Pull the roof rack "stuff" off, pull the Molle plates, switch tires when not needed. Pour it on when I have a weekend trip. I recognize that I am fortunate to have pneumatic tools, floor jack and the storage space to keep a change of tires. Now the stock wheelset may get the Duratrac's in OEM specs simply because my vain self has got to have something to look at!

If you're still reading and interested in the Molle plates (Link): They use the mounting points of the ladder & lunch box. I didn't want either. Didn't buy them when I ordered my Defender. So, I had to drill thru the lower trim (below the windows). I had a strong suspicion that I would want to go back to stock if I ever sold my true love. So, for $100 I ordered a set of the trim. Woo hoo! They defaulted to matt black so didn't even paint them. The molle plates covered it. So now, I just remove 3 hex bolts, pop off the trim, pop back on the original trim and life is good. Again, I'm a fan for overlanding/camping, but will absolutely spend the 10 minutes to switch them when not camping for a weekend now that I realize their noise impact.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-13-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I've done a few questionable mods to my Defender already (depending on your style preferences). But I have to say, the MOST impactful thing I've done (noise, mpg, handling) has not been the tires, but the PowerfulUk Molle plates. I put them on early and was too naive to know better before I got used to them. Used them when overlanding and enjoy them. But they are now DEFINITELY on my "only add when going on a trek" list. Once I saw Simon on a subsequent video with them off, I started to become skeptical that they were the largest contributor to the handling/noise/mpg issues. I will readily admit that the 285/65-18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers are NOTHING compared to those. I'm also thinking of just going Clark Kent. Pull the roof rack "stuff" off, pull the Molle plates, switch tires when not needed. Pour it on when I have a weekend trip. I recognize that I am fortunate to have pneumatic tools, floor jack and the storage space to keep a change of tires. Now the stock wheelset may get the Duratrac's in OEM specs simply because my vain self has got to have something to look at!

If you're still reading and interested in the Molle plates (Link): They use the mounting points of the ladder & lunch box. I didn't want either. Didn't buy them when I ordered my Defender. So, I had to drill thru the lower trim (below the windows). I had a strong suspicion that I would want to go back to stock if I ever sold my true love. So, for $100 I ordered a set of the trim. Woo hoo! They defaulted to matt black so didn't even paint them. The molle plates covered it. So now, I just remove 3 hex bolts, pop off the trim, pop back on the original trim and life is good. Again, I'm a fan for overlanding/camping, but will absolutely spend the 10 minutes to switch them when not camping for a weekend now that I realize their noise impact.
great insight! I wonder if that holds true for that double rotopax driver side mount that lucky 8 sells. I want it, but not if it’s crazy loud

Quick Reply: Larger Tires - Info and Feedback