Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Less photogenic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 09:42 AM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Less photogenic?

i love the look of the defenders. the heritage. the uniqueness. but do you agree that its not as photogenic?

online, the pics of the defender look great. but when you see one up close in real life, the defender is more amazing than pictures can capture. maybe its the roundness and curves that photos arent able to capture.

i just bought a defender from a dealer out of state since that was the spec i wanted. i didnt even test drive one or go to my local dealer to see it. after i bought it (it ships to me next week) i went to the local dealer since they had an expedition roof rack in stock. i saw a version of the defender i bought in the parts dept parking lot (white p300 w steelies) and just gazed at it in amazement. every angle, every curve, every dimension was just absolutely stunning.

am i the only one that thinks this?

The following 2 users liked this post by gmachine:
angelboing (02-06-2021), mln (02-06-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

It does seem a common refrain in reviews and real-life impressions that pictures don’t capture the scale of the new Defender at all. It can look like a much smaller vehicle in pictures and almost cute. And then you’re out on the road looking down on Yukons! There are even some preposterous articles trying to argue some kind of comparison to the Bronco Sport, which make no sense unless you did no research other than looking at a few stock images. This image evokes something altogether different than most media pictures, since you get the scale.

The following 6 users liked this post by patpatriot6:
angelboing (02-07-2021), gmachine (02-07-2021), Moretti (02-07-2021), PNW DEFENDER (02-07-2021), tictalk67 (02-07-2021), TrioLRowner (02-07-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:16 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

While driving the new defender I feel as if I am in the command position and sitting above SUVs and trucks.

The first time I saw one in person it blew me away. Much more impressive than the photos I had seen.

The following users liked this post:
gmachine (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 03:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
It does seem a common refrain in reviews and real-life impressions that pictures don’t capture the scale of the new Defender at all. It can look like a much smaller vehicle in pictures and almost cute. And then you’re out on the road looking down on Yukons! There are even some preposterous articles trying to argue some kind of comparison to the Bronco Sport, which make no sense unless you did no research other than looking at a few stock images. This image evokes something altogether different than most media pictures, since you get the scale.

I have both of these vehicles in my top ten for possible leases this year but having seen the Defender up close on the lot it was clear to me these are entirely different classes of vehicle. The defender is essentially a truck and the bronco sport is a CUV with maybe some old style LR roof flair at half the price. I really don't want to be riding around enveloped in Ford plastic again if I can avoid it but let's face it the Bronco sport is loaded at 37k and you don't get much of a LR for 37k, a base Disco sport at best. I stopped by the Benz & Alfa dealerships on the way home from dropping off the kids today, wow, if you want photogenic the Stelvio rocks.

Last edited by Chief65; 02-07-2021 at 03:38 PM.
gmachine (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 03:45 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Chief65
I have both of these vehicles in my top ten for possible leases this year but having seen the Defender up close on the lot it was clear to me these are entirely different classes of vehicle. The defender is essentially a truck and the bronco sport is a CUV with maybe some old style LR roof flair at half the price. I really don't want to be riding around enveloped in Ford plastic again if I can avoid it but let's face it the Bronco sport is loaded at 37k and you don't get much of a LR for 37k, a base Disco sport at best. I stopped by the Benz & Alfa dealerships on the way home from dropping off the kids today, wow, if you want photogenic the Stelvio rocks.
will be interesting to see how the (real) full size bronco stacks up in comparison but in pics, the bronco just lacks the refinement of a defender. its so cluttered imo.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by gmachine
will be interesting to see how the (real) full size bronco stacks up in comparison but in pics, the bronco just lacks the refinement of a defender. its so cluttered imo.
Same here, I was surprised to see how the pricing stacks up, I thought the full sized bronco would start out far more expensive than the bronco sport but that isn't really the case. The impression I'm getting from the full-sized Bronco interior-wise seems like a very tall flat dashboard, which I personally don't like at all, it's like standing at the counter at McDonalds taking orders, nothing really refined about it. IMO the Defender is a much nicer vehicle but the Bronco is at least worth a look at the price.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:45 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Chief65
Same here, I was surprised to see how the pricing stacks up, I thought the full sized bronco would start out far more expensive than the bronco sport but that isn't really the case. The impression I'm getting from the full-sized Bronco interior-wise seems like a very tall flat dashboard, which I personally don't like at all, it's like standing at the counter at McDonalds taking orders, nothing really refined about it. IMO the Defender is a much nicer vehicle but the Bronco is at least worth a look at the price.
thats a great analogy. i mean, nothing wrong with a big mac but the defender just has more of a design aesthetic versus the bronco. i do love the look and heritage of the full size bronco tho. 20 years from now both will still be iconic.

Chief65 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 01:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

I've been back-and-forth between Bronco and Defender for the past several months. I had a first-day Bronco First Edition reservation that I will be cancelling -- I placed a build order for a P300 several days ago. The Bronco looks cool, especially with the 35" Sasquatch package. I don't care about removable doors/roof (which is a big reason to go Bronco), and I felt that the Bronco interior was kind-of meh (especially compared to the Defender). The ultimate clincher for me is that I've always wanted another Rover after selling my '03 Discovery. I know there will likely be some gremlins (hopefully not too many!), but that's part of the fun/charm of driving something unique like the Defender.

gmachine (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

Agree. Photos don't the Defender justice. Much better in person. Photos don't capture the size or angles up close. It dwarves a Jeep.

gmachine (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
I've been back-and-forth between Bronco and Defender for the past several months. I had a first-day Bronco First Edition reservation that I will be cancelling -- I placed a build order for a P300 several days ago. The Bronco looks cool, especially with the 35" Sasquatch package. I don't care about removable doors/roof (which is a big reason to go Bronco), and I felt that the Bronco interior was kind-of meh (especially compared to the Defender). The ultimate clincher for me is that I've always wanted another Rover after selling my '03 Discovery. I know there will likely be some gremlins (hopefully not too many!), but that's part of the fun/charm of driving something unique like the Defender.
I'm right with you, I'll be 53 in July and have no patience left for 'meh' interiors anymore. IMO you made a good choice.

Quick Reply: Less photogenic?