Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 09:58 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
On 2020s, the only model that included the locking rear diff and torque vectoring by braking as standard equipment was the Defender X. Although 2021s are no longer featured in the "Build Your Own' section on LRUSA's web site, I think I remember the off-road package (which includes the rear lockers) still being optional on every trim but the X. Salespeople just talk out of their a** most of the times, so they sound knowledgeable to the average Joe or Jill walking in their showroom, instead of spending 5 minutes researching when they just don't know the answer.
It's like one of the those options in the L320 RRS. Rear lockers are free, XM radio is free and you're SOL if it didn't come with.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Another point --- selecting the electronic active differential or the off-road pack does not bring with it the terrain response 2 nor ATPC -- but those two items IMO really are overkill for anything but spending a lot of time off-road. You really do not need them for what you describe. They are costy, of course !!

But, you do receive both those items with the tow package, which I assume you are purchasing. ATPC will help with your slippery boat ramps -- a bit.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-29-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MNDefender
Thanks. When I configured mine 2021 online it was a no cost option but the dealer wasn’t able to select it at the dealership. They spoke with some other reps at the dealership and then came back saying it was a standard feature for the 2021 model. Needless to say, I’m skeptical.
I went through this too. The e-diff and torque vectoring by braking is not a stand-alone-option for the 2021MY( unlike 2020). I could only get it if I added the off-road-package on my 2021MY-110SE.

The off-road-package also gets you the off-road-tires. The $0-free on the build-website is deceiving. The official dealer-order-sheet will not show the e-diff option unless the off-road-package is added (per my dealer). I won’t be doing off-roaring and don’t want the off-raid tires so I left it off.

The following users liked this post:
Tartan (10-31-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I would recommend to get it. I've done some black diamond rated trails without it on mine and so far I haven't had any issues, but I would still recommend getting it.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

So I called and talked to the dealer, apparently they called the distribution center to confirm. According to them, the torque vectoring by braking/ediff is a standard feature in the 2021 X-Dynamic package. I guess I’ll find out in Jan when I it scheduled to arrive if that’s actually the case.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

So, the optional $1550 off-road pack for the 2021 X-Dynamic buys you all-terrain tires instead of all-seasons and a power socket in the trunk? I'm sorry, I know what the dealer told you but that doesn't make sense based on option prices for that trim. If the e-diff is important to you, I'd insist in seeing a copy of your confirmed order as soon as they have one on hand. Rear locking diff and torque vectoring by braking are not features you can add later.

The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
PaulLR (10-30-2020), TrioLRowner (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the build sheet, it doesn’t list torque vectoring nor ediff. As per the dealer it’s because it’s a standard option. I told them it was a no cost option online, they tried to configure in the dealer portal and then called “distribution” to confirm the X-Dynamic has it. I’ve reconfirmed with them a few times and both times they’ve confirmed that my build will have it. Hopefully I’m not SOL come Jan!

Old 10-30-2020, 10:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

When the car arrives the window sticker should call it out. If you do not see the words "Electronic Active Differential", then you are NOT in a good place. If it were me, I would go as far as to the visit the dealer's lot between now and then to find some incoming Defender window stickers, with AND without those words. (It is not good we are forced to this action).

Before exiting the lot with your Defender, on your receiving test drive, you can confirm it by: selecting an off-road mode, likely grass/snow/gravel and putting the 4x4 info screen on the main display. You will see two locks in a green circle, one for center and one for the rear locking differentials.

You should see the green circles turn light brown, progressively in a clock wise fashion, as you drive on slippery surfaces. When the differential is entirely locked the unlocked symbol will switch to a locked one in dark brown. On the rear diff, this will only occur when driving straight ahead (put one side of the car on sloped wet grass and one on asphalt). If you turn the vehicle, you should see the rear diff. unlocking and the picture unwinding counter clockwise, as the clutches on the rear axle are allowed to slip.

I think there is no easier method to confirm you have the rear electronic active differential.

ALSO, MAYBE VISIT ANOTHER DEALER(S) AND ASK THEM AND LOOK AT THE WINDOW STICKERS ON THEIR LOTS?

Good luck !!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-30-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: adding a sentence
Old 10-30-2020, 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

I just went through the ordering process and my dealer said the Electronic Active Differential is standard on the X but NOT on the X-Dynamic. On the X-Dynamic you need to order the offroad pack to get it. This matches-up with the Land Rover build site as well. It shows the EAD as standard on the X model only.

I ordered an X-Dynamic and my build sheet does list the offroad pack as a $1550 option with the words "Electronic Active Differential with Torque Vectoring by Braking" right under it.

MNDefender, I would be sure your salesperson gets this right and you get what you want. Worst case, if you can't change your build at this point, have them order you another one with exactly what you want. Somebody else will buy your first order when it arrives.

Last edited by PaulLR; 10-30-2020 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Congratulations Paul! What specs / color / options? What is the ETA?

Quick Reply: Locking rear diff