Sponsored by:

Looking for no drill mud flaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Question Looking for no drill mud flaps

Hi all,

Do mud flaps exist that don't require drilling into the lower portion of the bumpers? I can't seem to source them.

Thank you

Old 10-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

The LR OEM versions only have 2, maybe 3, bolts coming out of them and a lot of auto tape. If you want, just take some sort of oscillating tool and trim them down and then your favorite auto trim tape (3M for me) and call it a day. I'm not aware of anyone who does it because it likely won't handle much abuse/use, but maybe they are out there.

'Bolts' are likely an "over statement". They are quite small/thin. More like machine screws.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
The LR OEM versions only have 2, maybe 3, bolts coming out of them and a lot of auto tape. If you want, just take some sort of oscillating tool and trim them down and then your favorite auto trim tape (3M for me) and call it a day. I'm not aware of anyone who does it because it likely won't handle much abuse/use, but maybe they are out there.

'Bolts' are likely an "over statement". They are quite small/thin. More like machine screws.
Thank you. I just don’t have the cahoonies to drill any holes anywhere in my new D90

Old 10-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

A friend of mine told me long ago: You only care until the first ding!

The following users liked this post:
Moretti (10-06-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
A friend of mine told me long ago: You only care until the first ding!
lol, I’ve heard that one before

Old 10-04-2021, 02:16 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

They supply a template with the mud flaps, I installed mine my myself a couple weeks ago. It definitely feels wrong drilling into your new pride and joy, but honestly it's hard to screw it up. Just take your time cutting out and lining up the template, and just tape it in place. There is some play in the exact positioning too, so even if you are a bit off it doesn't matter. I was way more careful than I needed to be, even went and bought metric drill bits. Also note that you are just drilling into relatively easy to replace plastic trim pieces. Even that rear bumper piece is just the corner trim cover, it does come off the bumper (I know as I also just pulled my bumper apart to paint the silver parts black), so I assume can be bought separately, not that you will need to!

Old 10-04-2021, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Amazon Amazon

I found these on Amazon, they are identical to some offered by Land Rover parts companies in the UK. Looks like they use 3M tape and the existing wheel well liner plastic pop rivets.........Hmmm

Old 10-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
https://www.amazon.com/Mudguard-Fend...%2C301&sr=8-8&

I found these on Amazon, they are identical to some offered by Land Rover parts companies in the UK. Looks like they use 3M tape and the existing wheel well liner plastic pop rivets.........Hmmm
very interesting, there must be a reason land rover didn't go this way. I guess worst case if they do fall off all you really loose are a few little plastic clips. You might want to try aliexpress.com as well, they may have more styles/options, as that listing looks like its straight out of china.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:53 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

i have the original flaps and they hang pretty low. i suspect they would get caught on rocks and other objects if you take it wheeling. the bolts make sense

Originally Posted by Iceman153
very interesting, there must be a reason land rover didn't go this way. I guess worst case if they do fall off all you really loose are a few little plastic clips. You might want to try aliexpress.com as well, they may have more styles/options, as that listing looks like its straight out of china.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
i have the original flaps and they hang pretty low. i suspect they would get caught on rocks and other objects if you take it wheeling. the bolts make sense
I also think they’re pliable enough where they won’t cause damage or rip off per se. Also, although the Defender is capable who’d ever rock crawl one except for die hards with major mods.

Anyway 3M would never ever work, the plastic is porous and wouldn’t hold at all.

Quick Reply: Looking for no drill mud flaps