Sponsored by:

Low coolant 2 months after service

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:38 PM
hl6
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low coolant 2 months after service

I have 23MY Defender 110 X-Dynamic for 2 years. Everything works fine except the coolant system. I noticed coolant below the min line after 1 year of ownership. No warning light and the temperature gauge looks normal. The dealer service shop said there was no leaking and topped off the coolant. I had my first 21k-mile service 2 months ago, and I checked the coolant was low and the service shop topped off. Now I'm seeing coolant below the min bar again. I went to the dealer this morning but still, they ran the pressure check and didn't find the leak. They said the Defender engine runs at higher temperatures and consumes more coolant. It's normal to add coolant every 2 - 3 months.

Does anyone have the same experience? Should I go to another shop for a diagnosis?

The following users liked this post:
Bella (09-25-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 11:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Where are you located? Does the climate play into the issue?

Old 03-27-2024, 06:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

You probably have a really small leak that may be too small to find and the leaked coolant is evaporating rather than dripping. I had a leak like this and they finally found it in one of the intercooler lines. My faster coolant leak was the lower radiator hose where it meets the engine block.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:51 AM
hl6
4wd High

Originally Posted by Nuckle
Where are you located? Does the climate play into the issue?
I'm near the Washington D.C. area. Mild weather. And I drive 10k miles a year.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:58 AM
hl6
4wd High

Originally Posted by PaulLR
You probably have a really small leak that may be too small to find and the leaked coolant is evaporating rather than dripping. I had a leak like this and they finally found it in one of the intercooler lines. My faster coolant leak was the lower radiator hose where it meets the engine block.
That sounds even terrible. Isn't coolant poisonous? If the leaked coolant evaporated, the A/C blew those right into the cabin. Did you find it at the dealer service or 3rd party service shop? I'm not sure why the dealer doesn't want to fully check the leaking issue.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by hl6
That sounds even terrible. Isn't coolant poisonous? If the leaked coolant evaporated, the A/C blew those right into the cabin. Did you find it at the dealer service or 3rd party service shop? I'm not sure why the dealer doesn't want to fully check the leaking issue.
Coolant is poisonous if your spouse feeds you a daily dose in your food. That story was on Dateline or 20/20. The intercooler lines are down behind the front bumper so I'm not concerned about a small drop of evaporated coolant. Dealer found and repaired both leaks.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:03 AM
Winching
Received 226 Likes on 163 Posts

Mine has a tiny leak around the water pump. Let them check it out. It is a well known issue and a competent dealer can get to the bottom of this.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Please search my prior posts about coolant leaks.

i had a small leak that passed testing numerous times.

they don’t use that much coolant. Maybe a slight top off once a year at most.

you have a leak you need to find.

The following users liked this post:
Can_Glu (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Usually, pressure tests are done when the engine is cool. In my case, it held pressure for 2 hours. After a 20 min test drive to get things hot, there was a faint smell of coolant. They had to remove the belly skids and wash out the dirt before they could find a small leak at the turbocharger.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:35 PM
hl6
4wd High

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
Usually, pressure tests are done when the engine is cool. In my case, it held pressure for 2 hours. After a 20 min test drive to get things hot, there was a faint smell of coolant. They had to remove the belly skids and wash out the dirt before they could find a small leak at the turbocharger.
I felt the dealer wouldn't want to do a full check for some reason. They just keep saying it's normal and let me add water next time if I see it low again. I will check with another dealer then. Is this because it's under warranty and the dealer can not charge me anything if they perform a full check? So frustrated that I explicitly said there was a leak but they kept asking me to just leave it and top off the coolant.

Quick Reply: Low coolant 2 months after service