2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Build Tool - packs vs. individual accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 03:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LR Build Tool - packs vs. individual accessories?

I'm a bit puzzled. The local dealer (I must mention that this one happens to be in a place where people just might walk in, see something they like, pay cash and drive out) was, how do I say this, quick to assert very forcefully that no, individual accessories can't be had, and what's available on the Land Rover build site is what I get, and that the dealer doesn't have access to a more detailed build tool.

This raises all sorts of alarms in my head - totally contrary to what I've seen with just about every other brand I dealt with. I look at Accessory Fitting Instructions, remembering other people mentioning ordering accessories, and none of that is available for at least P400 trims. On the other hand, if I try to build the Defender for, say, a UK market, all those accessories are selectable individually.

So I wonder, is it my local dealer being, how do I say this, optimized to sell with minimum effort, or it is a general policy of LR in US to avoid hassle and just sell packs, and if I want individual accessories then I must buy them separately and either pay them to install them or do it myself?

Old 01-16-2023, 05:02 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

It is cheaper to buy them installed than buy the part then have it installed by dealer. Just go with the packs even down to mudflaps or wheel trims.

Old 01-16-2023, 06:35 AM
Mudding
Received 130 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
It is cheaper to buy them installed than buy the part then have it installed by dealer. Just go with the packs even down to mudflaps or wheel trims.
I think that’s not what he’s asking. When I ordered my 110S, I chose specific accessories rather than any of the “packs.” Each of the packs had things I didn’t want. When you include the accessories in a factory order, they are installed either at the factory or at the port of entry (for the US, that’s Baltimore).

That is much cheaper than ordering the part later to have your dealer install it. Most accessories can be ordered individually as shown on the online build tool.

Here’s an example that kind of makes both points, ironically.

When I placed my order (Nov 2021), it was not possible to order the rear tow loops unless you also got a “pack” that included the black roof. I didn’t want the black roof, so I ordered the parts separately from PowerfulUK. I then paid my dealer to install them. Total cost: 99 GBP plus shipping; plus another $600 for dealer installation.

Since then they have been added as an orderable option. “Black exposed rear recovery eyes” for $250.

If you can select the part from the online build tool, the dealer can add it to your order. And that’s a lot cheaper than paying the dealer to install it later.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:56 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

IIRC, it depends on the accessory. Some only come in packs, if you want it as part of your order. If you don’t mind doing the install yourself, it’ll be cheaper and better to order all the accessories individually from the many online retailers.

If this is the dealer you’re gong to buy from, I’d shop their service dept too. If/when you do have problems, a helpful, knowledgeable and skilled service dept can make all the difference.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Mike_F
I think that’s not what he’s asking. When I ordered my 110S, I chose specific accessories rather than any of the “packs.” Each of the packs had things I didn’t want. When you include the accessories in a factory order, they are installed either at the factory or at the port of entry (for the US, that’s Baltimore).
That is still the same way with other markets, but it seems that in US this option is gone, and you can only order packs, not individual accessories.

That is much cheaper than ordering the part later to have your dealer install it. Most accessories can be ordered individually as shown on the online build tool.
I'm curious, how did you get to your build tool? It looks that there may be multiple versions with different entry points. The one I'm using starts at https://www.landroverusa.com/build-your-own/index.html and eventually allows to save your build and retrieve it later at https://my.landroverusa.com/my-builds.

Here’s an example that kind of makes both points, ironically.

When I placed my order (Nov 2021), it was not possible to order the rear tow loops unless you also got a “pack” that included the black roof. I didn’t want the black roof, so I ordered the parts separately from PowerfulUK. I then paid my dealer to install them. Total cost: 99 GBP plus shipping; plus another $600 for dealer installation.

Since then they have been added as an orderable option. “Black exposed rear recovery eyes” for $250.

If you can select the part from the online build tool, the dealer can add it to your order. And that’s a lot cheaper than paying the dealer to install it later.
Also ironically, this particular part is orderable for SE and X, but it is not accessible for X-Dynamic SE - though the gallery does show them (and maybe even black) for the latter, and doesn't show them on the picture for the former even though the accessory is selected.

I don't see individual option names, either. I saw two on the forum (047EB, Solar Attenuating Windscreen, and 022GB, Three Zone Climate) - but there's not a mention of these codes anywhere I've seen so far.

Another thing - the build summary is not consistent. For SE, it shows both "manually controlled steering column" and "electrically controlled steering column", with the latter being a part of a pack. Comparison on "My Builds" page is also a bit off.

And the last for now - I remember seeing an "export as PDF" option somewhere, but all I see now is "personalized brochure" which wants my PII in return for... I don't really know what.

Old 01-18-2023, 12:33 PM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going through this right now as well. I was told that there was no way to order any a la carte accessories for installation at the port unless it's on the build site like the mud flaps. They're telling me that it's either getting a package or have the dealer order the individual item (sometimes at a markup from the LR site), and then paying the dealer's hourly rate for install.

A great example of this is the Front Undershield (VPLEP0436). The only package that includes it is the Urban Pack (for some F*#@ing reason) which is $1600 on the USA build site. That particular part is $904 on the LR site (link here). One dealer will honor that price and another wants to charge me an extra $300. And then I'm being told it's either 2 hours to install at $225/hr from one dealer or 5 hours to install at $100 from the other. All in, both cases get you close to the $1600 for the Urban Pack.

Wit hall of that said, I haven't been able to get a good answer for what would happen if you want two packs and there are overlaps between the two. You should get a discount on one of the packs, but this seems to be more than dealers can handle. The build site actually doesn't allow you to select more than one of the four initial Accessory Packs. It's also not smart enough to tell you things like you don't need the mud flaps if you're getting a pack that includes them.

If anyone has a dealer in NY state that can help me cut through all of this BS, I would be happy to hear about it. It's really frustrating.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by M.C. Shirt
I'm going through this right now as well.
Looks like all of the US does.

A great example of this is the Front Undershield (VPLEP0436).
If it helps, X is the only trim where this can be ordered as an individual option. I'm considering getting it despite the whole package being about $10K more expensive than comparable SE and X-Dynamic SE builds, because it's the only trim that includes Terrain Response 2 (how effective it is is another question altogether, hopefully someone will chip in ). ClearSight rear view mirror is another thing that is only available (among "standard options") in this trim, along with the HUD being a standard option, so it may just balance out the price increase.

Of course, there are other individual options... If it helps, here's one of the lists: LAND ROVER ACCESSORY FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

Wit hall of that said, I haven't been able to get a good answer
(phrase intentionally cut off in the middle) that was the summary of my experience, too. This forum was much more useful than dealers' answers; it appears that with 12+ months waiting lists there's not much incentive to step out of the way and accommodate customers' requests.

It's really frustrating.
Because they can (C) With all the shortages everywhere, it's the seller's market. The climax of my experience during this vehicle search was at a local Toyota dealership, where the junior greeter who was all helpful and getting in my face, suddenly has become ice cold and said "My time is valuable, you'll find me right there if you need me" and walked away as soon as I said "I'm doing my homework and will not be buying a vehicle today". The background for this was an empty parking lot, devoid of both customers and cars for sale - they didn't have *anything* decent in inventory at all, just like with JLR, it was all "order unseen" and wait.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling

...and by the way, I could swear that I saw the integrated air compressor among the individual options about a week or so ago when I started configuring my builds, but I can't see it now, nor does it come as a standard option. Maybe I'm delusional and it wasn't there, either way, I sense an uphill battle, or some DIY from the get go.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:21 PM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Mr. Paradox. It's good to know I'm not the only one pulling my hear out with this. The X is great to make sure you get all of the goodies, but it's out of my price range. All I'm looking for is an S model where I can get the Wheel Arch Protection and Front Undershield without having to get an Accessory Pack or hosed by the dealers. Even the stupid Interior Protection pack comes with a damn' Cargo Carrier which is just a stupid LR branded trunk organizer!!!

I've resigned myself to having to get the Country Pack and an a la carte Undershield. That comes out to be about the same price is if I wanted to order the arch protection, floor/cargo mats, and undershiled a la carte with markups and/or installation.

I'm not really handy at all. I could probably swing installing the wheel arch protection, but I draw the line at pulling off panels or drilling. I'm also 45 minutes from the closest dealer, so I don't want to have to pick up the car and then take it to a second location for a few days to have the accessories installed.

Anyone want a cargo space partition? Mine will be sitting in the garage.

Last edited by M.C. Shirt; 01-18-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:56 PM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Kind’ve off topic, but I’ve noticed a lot of off-roading parks require front and rear tow hooks, does the Defender technically have a front tow hook for these purposes? Or do I have to pay for 5 hours of labor before I can go to an off-roading park in my 70K LAND ROVER DEFENDER?

I know the hook is there, just wondering if anyone has ever been denied due to it being hidden?

Quick Reply: LR Build Tool - packs vs. individual accessories?