Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky8 Winch Tray Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 09:50 PM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Defendit..
All about pedestrian, cyclist in case of an accident.
So the winch tray will be behind.

I like this one, can be used with almost any winch

Which winch tray is this one. I love the clean install with no cutting off the bumper

The following users liked this post:
Bigwood (01-06-2022)
Old 10-25-2021, 01:56 AM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts
Old 10-25-2021, 08:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Location: Summer in Upstate NY, Winter in South Florida, Spring and Fall in Kentucky
Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

Any reports/reviews on this winch mount for the new Defenders? How much of project is it to install ?… What modifications are necessary?

Old 10-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

4x4Dave and Gurka01:

This winch is out of a supplier in the EU -- it just came on the market and no one on this forum has shared their experience with it, to my recollection.

There are a couple of things I would confirm before considering it:

1) depth of the winch tray -- it looks a bit less deep than the OEM and Lucky8 trays, and may be designed for a specific EU winch. The Warn OEM winch just fit into the depth of the OEM tray (which was designed for the Warn?). Also check the mounting hole locations to ensure your winch will fit. The width looks similar to the Lucky8 tray, so may also not accomodate the wi-fi winch (which I think is an unnecessary complication, but others may feel otherwise).

2) I suspect this install may not work with the V8 or potentially the P400, as both (may?) have a pusher cooling fan mounted in front of the primary radiator (not behind it). Something important to check on. (I suspect, looking at the picture, there is not enough room).

3) The mounting to the vehicle, width, location and overall approach is very similar to the Lucky8 winch tray. I am looking forward to hearing from a Lucky8 user how low is cut the front of that tray - this EU version being flat at the bottom is an interesting (and maybe less stiff -- for good or ill) approach?

What we need is someone in the EU to purchase this one and share their experience, hopefully.

-----------------------------------

The question was asked earlier as to why the bumper is just not replaced with an ARB one and the winch moved to it -- similar to on a Toyota Forerunner, etc.

Sarek has successfully tackled the task and the picture on this new EU winch installation is very helpful to show the challenges of trying to replicate what the OEM bumper accomplishes:

1) light weight -- Sarek's first bumper was Steel, their second Aluminum. As noted in other comments the weight may make a difference in how the sporty, zoom-zoom Defender drives.

2) Only one hard point for mounting anything up front, which is not even actually at the front of the vehicle. You can see the only structural point of contact able to carry a metal bumper or a winch or anything else which is not plastic -- it is the eight bolts (3 visible in the photo) back into the vehicle -- basically > foot away from the OEM front of the vehicle. NOT similar to a CJ - derived Jeep, certainly.

3) Electronic functioning -- the OEM bumper houses in specific locations all the cameras and sensors. A very compelling reason to keep the OEM bumper.

4) Carry-throughs which consume the bumper planform area -- the license plate; fog lamps; cooling for brakes for zoom-zoom driving (you see it on the left of the photo); cooling for up to two added, substantial radiators (you see this Defender has one on the right of the photo -- mine has two, one on each side); and the headlights, which as a % of the front planform are quite greedy of space.

5) Aesthetics - the curviness of the bumper as it approaches aft towards the front wheels and suspension closes down the useable space behind it (drastically) in service of supporting the look of the vehicle -- unlike many truck frame 4x4s. My look at the comparative compactness of suspensions suggests the idea that the very creative design of the front suspensions (very very compact) helps the designers get away from the flat-front look of previous Off-road capable vehicles -- which loses for us the dead space normally available for customization.

Enjoy !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-25-2021 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Well written, @TrioLRowner . I suspect most folks will miss #3. There are a crazy number of sensors. I never watched enough of the video/series to tell if Simon actually discovered one behind the Land Rover badging on the front. But there's more than meets the eye.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

My LK8/Zeon 12S is going on tomorrow. It will be the first for the LR and Defender-specialty shop north of Atlanta that's doing it. They're reading/watching installation manuals/videos in preparation. I warned them about the "bricking" phenomenon with TFL's dealer. Fingers crossed!

Also getting little bitty P300 brakes in back at the same time.

The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GrouseK9 (10-25-2021), TrioLRowner (01-06-2022), warkeld (02-04-2022)
Old 10-25-2021, 04:33 PM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

What's the deal with smaller brakes? Second time I've seen the reference.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Trauma:

For off-roading, the smaller the wheels (and the bigger the resulting rubber sidewall) the better. 15 to 18 inch wheels are standard for off-road use across vehicle brands and geographies. To obtain 18" wheels on a Defender (no smaller are available), the buyer must either purchase a 4 cylinder engine and receive small brake calipers from the factory or purchase a larger engine (P400 in U.S.) and replace the stock larger calipers with third party ones small enough to use 18 inch wheels.

The stock wheel sizes from JLR for the large engines are 19" (difficult to find a global supply of off-road tires), 20", or 22" (not practically suitable for serious off-road driving)

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-25-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

What wheels you plan on putting under there?

Old 10-25-2021, 06:55 PM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Kinda figured smaller wheels, but coming from Jeeps, the biggest I've had (and have) is 17, (Saharas 18"), So never really thought about it - but a 22 would be pretty stupid - even on the street it would ride like crap anyway.

Quick Reply: Lucky8 Winch Tray Install