Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance schedule

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 07:24 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance schedule

Hi all - just got a P400 D90 a couple weeks ago and wondering what the maintenance schedule is. The dealership claimed to maintain the warranty the car must be serviced once a year but I’ve seen other info that says it only needs an oil change after 20k miles. I prepaid for the 3 year maintenance package but wondering if that was a mistake and sold to me under false pretenses? I like to get my cars serviced at the dealership for the first 3-4 years so usually buying this prepaid maintenance package offers a 40% discount over a la carte servicing but perhaps wrong this time. Any help appreciated!

Old 05-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 05-03-2021, 09:08 PM
4th Gear

Yep I checked that. Unfortunately it doesn’t say in there

Old 05-03-2021, 11:21 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Don't you have a "Passport to Service" chapter in your owner's handbook, or a separate "Passport to Service" booklet (depending on market / model year you may have either) among the literature supplied with your new Defender? Service schedules and related time / mileage intervals should be printed in there. Or, download the Land Rover iGuide app on your phone and look for the "Passport to Service - Maintenance and Service" section. Unless you operate under what Land Rover describes as "arduous conditions" (e.g. frequent short trips, off-roading or trailer towing, driving in dusty conditions or in extremely high or low temperatures - in which case you should cut the intervals in half), recommended service intervals for your engine are every 2 years or 21K miles, whichever occurs first. So, 3 years of prepaid maintenance - assuming no mileage restrictions - may just buy you a single scheduled service (the first one), unless you drive a lot of miles in those 3 years.

Last edited by umbertob; 05-03-2021 at 11:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kev M (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought the service package also. When I looked closely, the LR portion was about 1k and the wear and tear maintenance agreement 3k. I was sold on brakes and rotors alone would cost the amount of the warranty.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:59 PM
4th Gear
Default Still confused

Going back to this, still can’t get a straight answer for the service intervals and it’s not in this “Passport to Service” from what I can tell - unless I’m just missing it, doesn’t shot anything about interval. Selling dealer told me they see one service at 21k or 2 years and then another oil change at 3 years. I called a service department for another dealer and they said the second service is 4 years and 42k miles. So I have no idea here - paid $950 for the 3 years of maintenance and the 2 year service sounds like it will be $800-900. Not sure if there is actually a service at year 3 or not. Very frustrating, anyone who can confirm the second service out there? Thanks!

Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 PM
4th Gear

Actually I see now the Passport to Service says 2 years and then 4 years. I think Land Rover has messed up with this maintenance contract - the contract says there is a service in year 3 but also says if there are discrepancies the Passport to Service prevails! Sounds like prepaid maintenance is a pass till this is figured out!

Old 05-15-2021, 07:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for keeping everyone informed. On my 2022 order I committed to 4 years prepaid maint with my dealer and from following various threads I was hoping to get at least two service intervals out of it. I never expected there would be so few intervals. I had been wondering recently if at the 4 year mark it would make sense (or if it's even an option) to purchase additional years. I'd like to hold onto the vehicle for at least 6 years but thought 4 years would be a good time to make some hard decisions about whether it makes sense to hang in there or bail out, depending upon a variety of things such as how many problems (if any) I've had with the vehicle, I'm easy on my brakes but still suspect the upcoming brake job for $2300 or whatever I was quoted would likely be imminent by that time etc.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

A few things:

1. GENUINE FILTERS or branded genuine filters (So like, Mahle/Mann, whichever is needed for your vehicle). Crappy filters can and will destroy your engine. Also whatever you do, NEVER put compressed air on your engine intake air filter. This destroys the element. Just...replace.
2. I'm doing 30k on diffs and transfer case oil change. They are small capacities and these are big+powerful vehicles. Changing the fluid often is a good idea.
3. 60k transmission. ZF transmissions have proven to be very stout but lets keep them that way.
4. Balance and rotate tires. Check for bent rims. This will save your suspension+wheel bearings. Bent wheels are sneaky and unless you ask to the tire shop to check, no one will look for that. But if you ever have a vibration you can't track down, check there. Bent wheels will cause wheel bearings and bushings to wear out early.
5. Don't park under trees. Crap gets into your sunroof drains and clogs up. This is a bad time.
6. ONLY USE AGM or other sealed batteries in these vehicles. Do not get a traditional lead acid battery. Why? Simple. Ye Olde lead acid batteries can...spill acid. So now you gonna have acid all over your interior/possibly wiring harnesses. This is a bad time.
8. I'm doing 7-8k on oil change but the 15k or whatever they say is a terrible idea.
9. 100k I'd be looking at brake fluid. No one ever complained about having good brakes.
10. 100k, be looking at cooling system refurbishment. So Water pump, thermostat, flush radiator+heater core, new hoses.
11. On the note of cooling system, DO NOT MIX COOLANTS. Read the book and make sure you add proper coolant (as required) if you gonna do a top up. If you mix coolant, they can chemically react and cause crystals to form. Solids in the cooling system is a bad time.

But really, all this is true for most vehicles. Changing fluids will keep you ahead of the game. If the Ingenium is like all the other rovers for the past 10 years, you gotta get a vacuum oil remover to change the oil. Its so easy, its criminal. So plan on getting one of those and changing your own oil. This will save you time and money. I don't know about anyone else, but my dealer can't change engine oil in under 3 hours. With the vacuum machine, I can be done and everything put away in under 45 minutes. Heck it takes me 50 minutes to drive to the dealership and back. No getting on the ground, no laying in pools of oil. Simple.

But overall, as issues pop up, get them fixed early. This will take care of you in the long run.

The following 2 users liked this post by LR Max:
ba_ (04-08-2024), Bearcat306 (01-23-2024)
Old 07-11-2021, 06:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LR Max

I'm doing 7-8k on oil change but the 15k or whatever they say is a terrible idea.
9. 100k I'd be looking at brake fluid. No one ever complained about having good brakes.
This is a weird disconnect to me.

There are a number of manufacturers who suggest 2 year or so brake fluid flushes.

There are a ton of manufacturers who think oil changes are fine with large volumes of high quality synthetics with lots of additives are good for at least 10k.

If you're so paranoid that you'd change the oil in 1/3 the OEM recommendations and diner I than most OEMs why the hell would you leave the brake fluid for 5x longer than the conservative brands?!?

Me, I already said I'm not skeered.

Quick Reply: Maintenance schedule