2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you consider this over a Defender?
Yes, $96k, sure
2.63%
I would have at $78k but not now
52.63%
I never would have considered it
42.11%
Why am I here?
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Major Defender Competitor Scores Own Goal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 08:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Is there a reason why you can't have both?

Sell your junk Defender and get the Rivian. More people will stare at your Rivian than they will the Defender. See, that right there just sold you.

Fine, I'll be polite. Get the Rivian. I can tell you want it by your statements above and you are correct. It will be better than the Defender in every single way. Come back to this thread in a year and thank me.

Last edited by stillruns; 03-02-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Is there a reason why you can't have both?

Sell your junk Defender and get the Rivian. More people will stare at your Rivian than they will the Defender. See, that right there just sold you.

Fine, I'll be polite. Get the Rivian. I can tell you want it by your statements above and you are correct. It will be better than the Defender in every single way. Come back to this thread in a year and thank me.
Pay attention tuna sandwich. The Rivian was a backup plan for me in case the Defender order took too long. Fast forward a year and I'm very happy with the Defender while the Rivian is getting pushed back yet again which probably means I won't be thanking you for anything in a year or even two.

Wait, do you really plan to still be here in a year? You're a leaky bag of misery. Won't you visit the forest by then?

Last edited by _Allegedly; 03-02-2022 at 10:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GavinC (03-02-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 08:40 AM
Pro Wrench

MAJOR UPDATE FROM RIVIAN!

We're sorry! Stop screaming at us and stop cancelling your orders!

We're still raising the price but your original price will be honored. You get a $96k stickered vehicle for $78k.

​​​​

Kev M (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 08:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I got that email this morning. Amazing. Almost makes me feel like I should take the truck when its ready! Imagine what the price will be in 2023. I will probably be saving 20-25%.

_Allegedly (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Waterloo
I got that email this morning. Amazing. Almost makes me feel like I should take the truck when its ready! Imagine what the price will be in 2023. I will probably be saving 20-25%.
No kidding. There's no way I'm giving up the pre-order now. Are they going to try to get us to sign something saying we won't flip it?

Old 03-03-2022, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

My friend has a R1S on order and I asked him this question but he didn't know. For pre-orders was there any stated price lock-in or price protection? Not defending Rivian's manner in which they announced the price change. Just curious did they ever state pricing could be subject to change?

The place I work has seen a few price hikes across the board in the past year. Each time we gave customers a month or more warning and it also didn't impact gear already ordered.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by rutiger
My friend has a R1S on order and I asked him this question but he didn't know. For pre-orders was there any stated price lock-in or price protection? Not defending Rivian's manner in which they announced the price change. Just curious did they ever state pricing could be subject to change?

The place I work has seen a few price hikes across the board in the past year. Each time we gave customers a month or more warning and it also didn't impact gear already ordered.
Yes, it was very clear during the ordering process that prices, packages, specs, etc. were subject to change. Delivery fees were not yet announced but you knew there would be one. I think we were all expecting a little bump or 2 but not a total package change with 20+% increases.

The message from RJ has always been that they are "building trust" and that they will be fair.

They screwed up. They could have pushed it a bit higher and most would understand. It was too just much at once.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Are you able to make adult decisions own your own or do you need reinforcement form forum members? Not saying our forum members aren't educated or wise, certainly so. You seem to be having a hard time?

I love tuna. Love it. Making a sammich now. If you need advice or guidance on how to make the perfect tune sandwich, i will gladly share my recipe with you. In other words, I am extending an olive branch. And by the way, olive oil is part of my recipe. It doesn't disappoint.

Last edited by stillruns; 03-03-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:13 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I thought hard about putting in an order for an R1S a while back, but I just couldn't get over the size of this thing. My '22 D5 is already big. By the time these things are actually shipping to consumers for newer orders, we should have a better idea of what JLR's hyrbrid/BEV powertrains will be and I'm OK with the fact I never placed an order.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,169 Likes on 627 Posts

What is ironic is that a good percentage of the Rivian's sold will get flipped quickly and the owners will make 10-20-30 grand on them. Just like Broncos, Defenders, and everything else good right now.

So Rivian wasn't wrong... but I do see it as a cash grab on the primary market.

_Allegedly (03-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Major Defender Competitor Scores Own Goal