Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian Speaker Grilles Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 05:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 435 Likes on 203 Posts

Some screenshots

There is an Anti rattle clip behind. You can unclip it from behind.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:39 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

took majority of the day installing sound deadening and acoustic foam to the front doors. Planning to get a full audio system upgrade and couldn’t swallow the ridiculous labor charges for sound deadening and worrying about someone breaking something.

figure i would do a better job and take more care

i also had some rattles and wanted to address it while the panels were off.

i laid two layers of sound deadening purchased off amazon. Brand is called Siless. work perfectly. on top of the sound deadening i added a layer of siless acoustic foam. prob way over did it but more is better with sound deadening

i ordered tesa tape to rewrap some cables and reduce some other rattles.

Tesa tape is really hard to cut and kind of hard to use.

i did also have grills not full y bent and installed. bent those back and instead of using the tesa tape i cut small pieces of the sound deadening and put it on

road noise has greatly been reduce and the speakers up front sound such much better. no rattles anywhere even with the music up.

i would highly recommend the upgrade. it wasn’t hard to remove everything

The following users liked this post:
Ronin Defender (12-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 12:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

@Ehloo - cool - which Siless product did you get? (thickness // product name -- I see a few different options on Amazon)

Last edited by nashvegas; 07-04-2022 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:44 PM
Winching

i bought two packs of the silver 2mm, 1 pack of the black and one roll of the closed cell.

i have completed three doors and my rear trunk space, almost out of silver and have plenty of the black

the black is only 2mm where the silver is 3. used the black on the door cars where it might be visible. when you cut the black you end up seeing silver on the cuts. if i did it again i would just do all silver

the siless stuff has very high ratings and i would agree. very easy to use and does a very good job.

i prob used way too much but figure more couldn’t hurt beside the extra weight.

they do make the hybrid which is 5mm and includes that layer of closed cell foam. that would of been cheaper.

takes a little figuring out how to template and get the right coverage but once you figure it out it goes fairly quick. took me about 2 hours for each door. i did a total of 3 layers on each door. 2 of the silver and one of the close cell

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by nashvegas
@Ehloo - cool - which Siless product did you get? (thickness // product name -- I see a few different options on Amazon)

Old 12-04-2022, 04:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

The best part about this thread is that I rediscovered my love of Radiohead from college days. The port side rear door panel is the only one causing vibrations in my vehicle ... JLR replaced the speaker and did a pretty good job in bending back the metal and slapping on insulation tape but... Radiohead still rattled. Not Thom Yorke that is, his vocals won't ever sound bad, but that vibration on certain bassy tracks was still there. So off I went with the torx, removing the panels and slapping on the tesa tape on every piece, rewinding back to 'Everything in its right place' or 'Lucky' and retesting...it's better now but not perfect. I even went back to Black Sabbath Orchid. Now I'm not usually one to winge about a sound system or soft close, or lack of 10+ USB ports but when my daughter mentions the vibrations coming from the door I've got to do try and do something about it. "First world problem" Thanks @nashvegas for the trip down memory lane...

Old 12-04-2022, 03:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Ya... I've noticed in cold weather, my passenger door lower speaker still is rattling (seems to go away in summer when it's hot). But the Tesa tape thing did fix the other speakers that were rattly from new.

My next plan is to take the panel off again and try using some sort of black sikaflex type adhesive. I wonder if I put on the back of the grill where the metal tabs bend over, in a nice bead. I'm *sure* mine is still the grille rattling and not the speaker.

(the only prob with this is, I probably shoot my self in foot for warranty claim on that door panel then... but the dealer never seemed keen to fix a rattling speaker anyways by replacing the panel, so maybe it's fine)

Radiohead is indeed a good way to test this!

Old 12-04-2022, 06:54 PM
Winching

door cars shouldn’t be removed too many times. things get worse.

sound deadening makes a huge difference. eliminates vibrations that cause distortion. i highly recommend and it really made the cabin quieter

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Ya... I've noticed in cold weather, my passenger door lower speaker still is rattling (seems to go away in summer when it's hot). But the Tesa tape thing did fix the other speakers that were rattly from new.

My next plan is to take the panel off again and try using some sort of black sikaflex type adhesive. I wonder if I put on the back of the grill where the metal tabs bend over, in a nice bead. I'm *sure* mine is still the grille rattling and not the speaker.

(the only prob with this is, I probably shoot my self in foot for warranty claim on that door panel then... but the dealer never seemed keen to fix a rattling speaker anyways by replacing the panel, so maybe it's fine)

Radiohead is indeed a good way to test this!

Old 12-25-2022, 03:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I wanted to tackle this and ordered some tesa tape and a dynamat kit. My vibration got worse during the cold.

Long story short, I found the most rattling not at my rear driver side speaker, which is where I thought it was.
Feeling the panels I located it close to the seatbelt mount, driver side, just by my head when I am driving.
After pressing and flexing this panel I heard a pretty loud, crack/pop sound.

I was using Rihanna, Umbrella, because it was a consistent trigger of the vibration.
That panel setting, pretty much solved it.
I ended up not using my supplies, and not even taking anything apart.

I still plan to do a bit of work, but the noise is so much less now I am going to delay till spring/summer.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:29 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

it's a bit of a joke that the upgraded Meridian sounds so cheap.. That said, my comparison point is the 4k upgraded stereo in my rs6 avant which is probably the best system I have ever had after a fleet of maxed out 7 series.... I love my D90x but the stereo is meh.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:03 PM
Winching

the QC is pretty terrible. lots of the rattles you hear is poor in stallion of the panels.

when taking mine apart i found a couple tabs not fully pushed in.

it’s not easy but the sound deadening is worth the work. beside better sound quality it greatly reduced road noise and made the cabin much quieter

Originally Posted by Brock Samson
I wanted to tackle this and ordered some tesa tape and a dynamat kit. My vibration got worse during the cold.

Long story short, I found the most rattling not at my rear driver side speaker, which is where I thought it was.
Feeling the panels I located it close to the seatbelt mount, driver side, just by my head when I am driving.
After pressing and flexing this panel I heard a pretty loud, crack/pop sound.

I was using Rihanna, Umbrella, because it was a consistent trigger of the vibration.
That panel setting, pretty much solved it.
I ended up not using my supplies, and not even taking anything apart.

I still plan to do a bit of work, but the noise is so much less now I am going to delay till spring/summer.

The following users liked this post:
Brock Samson (12-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Meridian Speaker Grilles Rattling