2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor issues at delivery-Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 04:39 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Minor issues at delivery-Need advice.

So ... 9 months passed and my defender is finally here. I have not yet completed the deal... as there have been a couple of issues.
1. The dealer is trying to stiff me with $3400 of paint protection crap.
2. There are some quality issues with the vehicle.

I am not 100% sure as to what to do from here. Sucks to have a brand new vehicle that requires paint. Any advice as to where to go from here.

Weird rust spot on the rear bumper... that doesn't seem like it comes off

Scratches on the fender

There is a dent in the hood, (hard to see, and the paint is scratched.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts

Frustrating, isn't it. Here's my take:

1) The fender scratch looks 110% like it can be buffed out. Have them do it.

2) The stain on the rear bumper is actually from something leeching out of the spare tire mounted above it. Apparently it sort of comes off, but not entirely. We were hearing lots about this in 2020-2021 so it appears the issue has been fixed largely, but ... clearly not totally fixed, as you've got it on a new one with the issue! Easy - I would have them replace the bumper insert (here's the parts diagram). It's a simple replaceable part so not a big deal. The issue is the tire may still keep dripping gook,. People were trying solvents like acetone etc with some degree of success but either way let them do it instead of you stripping off the paint and then... well you know it's on you not them.

3) The hood - is that the little depression with two marks on either end? Ugh that stinks. I don't know if I'd reject the car over it but I'd send it to their body shop before delivery and have them fix it. Should be fixable. This is the only one of those issues that would irritate me as I'd agree a repaint on a hood is undesirable on a new car.

Also PS if the dealer had a brain they would have addressed all of this before you saw the car... sigh.

Last edited by nashvegas; 07-11-2022 at 04:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
GavinC (07-11-2022), MERCTwister (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:04 PM
Mudding

How does it work for JLR? Do I have to accept delivery before they fix the issues? Or do they fix the issues first?

Thank you for the info on the tire sitch.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmk8
So ... 9 months passed and my defender is finally here. I have not yet completed the deal... as there have been a couple of issues.
1. The dealer is trying to stiff me with $3400 of paint protection crap.
2. There are some quality issues with the vehicle.

I am not 100% sure as to what to do from here. Sucks to have a brand new vehicle that requires paint. Any advice as to where to go from here.

Weird rust spot on the rear bumper... that doesn't seem like it comes off

Scratches on the fender

There is a dent in the hood, (hard to see, and the paint is scratched.
sorry to hear this. Given the paint situation I’m guessing you have some negotiating leverage on the paint protection given that they either haven’t done the “protection” yet or did it and ignored the scratches and dent. I wish I had better advice.

Given the timing on your delivery I also wanted to make sure you are getting your original MSRP pricing. JLR is pricing new deliveries sticker at the current (MY 23.5) MSRP not the MSRP at time of order. If they have done this you should request a rebate of the increase. It sounds like you ordered before 3/31/22. They are rebating almost 90% of the increased amount ($2000 of the $2300 increase on the X-Dynamic).

good luck

Old 07-11-2022, 05:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Don't take delivery until they fix it, decline the forced paint protection, and start a case with JLR-USA.

The following users liked this post:
MattF (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:56 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Don't take delivery until they fix it, decline the forced paint protection, and start a case with JLR-USA.
10-4. I mean I am going to give the dealer a chance to make it right. But overall not a happy camper at the moment. They are acting like they are doing me a favor with this transaction because they “now mark up”

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 06:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

You're in a bind. Refuse delivery and they will just sell it on to a less picky customer. That said, I would not take delivery of a vehicle I was not happy with. Choose wisely.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:27 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I feel your pain a little. I just took delivery of my truck this evening and when I got home in the garage found 2 tennis ball swirl spots in the hood. You wouldn’t see then unless I pointed them out at an angle but they bother me. Dealer already aware and wants to see if it’s something that can be fixed with detailing before considering other options. Disappointing yes but the truck is still awesome. So much more so seeing in person.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@maxmk8 - Was typing fast yesterday. Absolutely right. Work with them and play nice. But be firm. I wouldn't rock the boat or "fail the attitude test" until they refused to sell it to you without the "paint protection". As @mlw911 experienced, I wouldn't balk at taking it home and they work on the paint problems with the detail/sublets later.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts

You might also try to get them to "throw in" some accessories, that are really expensive, like the Expedition Rack, or rear air compressor, or something fun. Just a thought.

I've had dealers throw accessories at me when I had a new spendy Rover and was having issues right at delivery.

Quick Reply: Minor issues at delivery-Need advice.