Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing bolt on front under shield

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 05:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Missing bolt on front under shield

I ordered a front accessory undershield (VPLEP0436) for my defender. As with all LR accessories, it was poorly boxed and one of the bolts is missing. I have reached out to a couple dealers and in true/famous LR fashion, have had minimal response. Anyone have any idea of what I can do to replace the bolt short of returning the entire kit? It appears to be a M10x25 Torx bolt as seen in this photo

Im genuinely stymied!

Old 01-15-2022, 05:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am confused, can’t you just go to the hardware store or a speciality screw shop and buy one? Paint it with tasters model paint if necessary

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Bigwood
I am confused, can’t you just go to the hardware store or a speciality screw shop and buy one? Paint it with tasters model paint if necessary

if thats a viable option im totally open to it. I just wasn't sure what else to do

Old 01-15-2022, 06:24 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you buy from a dealer? Call the parts department and they can send you a couple of bolts.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I would definitely go to the local NAPA, OReilly's, Auto Parts, whatever. If you want to find it online, go with McMaster.com. I would bring one of those that you have and compare the length, size, and head. I'm not sure which of these you're missing or I would have sent a McMaster.com link. Shouldn't be too tough. The head might look slightly different, but I would likely get a pair so they matched of the new ones. Note that they are going to be auto grade (beefy) so they won't be as cheap as some brittle piece of metal from a Lowe's/Home Depot/etc. (Don't go there!). Good luck.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I need one too. The port install folks completely cross threaded one in their børked efforts at installing the plate. I hate to imagine what condition the bolts i can't see are in. Nothing accessible was torqued to spec.

I managed to cinch the cross threaded one down but it's not close to how tight as it should be. Disappointing to see such sloppiness from JLR. The plate wasn't even correctly positioned. Not gotten around to getting the bolt yet. It's not critical.

Sucks they didn't supply it for you @heliochrome85

Old 01-16-2022, 09:17 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
I need one too. The port install folks completely cross threaded one in their børked efforts at installing the plate. I hate to imagine what condition the bolts i can't see are in. Nothing accessible was torqued to spec.

I managed to cinch the cross threaded one down but it's not close to how tight as it should be. Disappointing to see such sloppiness from JLR. The plate wasn't even correctly positioned. Not gotten around to getting the bolt yet. It's not critical.

Sucks they didn't supply it for you @heliochrome85
Solution for your cross threaded bolt. I had to remove the rear cargo door panel while installing front and rear dash cams, and I also removed it before tinting the rear glass, in order to give the tint shop better access for a cleaner install. I managed to put one of the bolts on crooked, and it too, became cross threaded. The worst thing to do is try to force it, and once I realized it wasn’t happening, I stopped attempting and went to the local hardware store, got a 6mm tap and with a drop of oil, gently cleaned up the threads and it went in smoothly. Quick fix, $5.99. I also bought a die in case the bolt was damaged along with the receiver threads. $7 for that, but didn’t use it, so will return it. Try that for your problem.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Solution for your cross threaded bolt. I had to remove the rear cargo door panel while installing front and rear dash cams, and I also removed it before tinting the rear glass, in order to give the tint shop better access for a cleaner install. I managed to put one of the bolts on crooked, and it too, became cross threaded. The worst thing to do is try to force it, and once I realized it wasn’t happening, I stopped attempting and went to the local hardware store, got a 6mm tap and with a drop of oil, gently cleaned up the threads and it went in smoothly. Quick fix, $5.99. I also bought a die in case the bolt was damaged along with the receiver threads. $7 for that, but didn’t use it, so will return it. Try that for your problem.
Thanks Chuck

The nut itself in the body is fine I think. The bolt is just completely stuffed up. It had been forced in at quite a severe angle. I have a thread tapper but not a 6mm one. There's a good place near me here that I've gotten bolts from before (two m8s for the roof rack that snapped at below torque force). I always feel guilty buying the small amounts I get as last time they charged me nothing, another time $2 for something else on my Acura. Pretty great service.

Tacoma Screw if anyone is interested. Great bunch of folks.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I would definitely go to the local NAPA, OReilly's, Auto Parts, whatever. If you want to find it online, go with McMaster.com. I would bring one of those that you have and compare the length, size, and head. I'm not sure which of these you're missing or I would have sent a McMaster.com link. Shouldn't be too tough. The head might look slightly different, but I would likely get a pair so they matched of the new ones. Note that they are going to be auto grade (beefy) so they won't be as cheap as some brittle piece of metal from a Lowe's/Home Depot/etc. (Don't go there!). Good luck.

I am looking for the BOLT E

Old 01-21-2022, 08:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I'd likely go with these in 25 length and call it a day: https://www.mcmaster.com/bolts/metri...d-torx-screws/
EDIT: Scroll to the bottom. M10 is the size, 1.5mm is the threading and then look for the row that starts with 25 length. The threading size is the only "maybe". So thread it in slowly. There's a 99% chance it's right, but don't F' it up in case JLR has some #%$# different threading!<g>

If the head doesn't appear wide enough, I'd just snug a stainless washer under there and then bet anyone $50 that they would never notice the difference if I were you.

Here's the washers. https://www.mcmaster.com/washers/was...rpose-washers/

You likely will find it somewhere else cheaper or less shipping. But, in my experience this place nails everything I ever need and there isn't any BS in quality.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 01-21-2022 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GavinC (01-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Missing bolt on front under shield