2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mud Flaps/Wheel Arch Protection Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 12:46 PM
Mudding
Received 130 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Mud Flaps/Wheel Arch Protection Necessary?

Was pretty set on not adding mud flaps or wheel arch protection, but wondering if highway driving will cause the rear wheel arch on my 90 to be pelted by rocks and damaged?

I don’t really like the look of the classic mud laps so it’s between the modern mud flaps, the wheel arch protection, or maybe the chequered plastic wheel arch protection pieces that go in front of the rear and front arches since they are much cheaper than the full wheel arch protection.

Last edited by jusmax88; 08-20-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 252 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88
Was pretty set on not adding mud flaps or wheel arch protection, but wondering if highway driving will cause the rear wheel arch on my 90 to be pelted by rocks and damaged?

I don’t really like the look of the classic mud laps so it’s between the modern mud flaps, the wheel arch protection, or maybe the chequered plastic wheel arch protection pieces that go in front of the rear and front arches since they are much cheaper than the full wheel arch protection.
I went with the mud flaps (non-classic) so I can't say how risky it is without them on-road. Looks aside I don't think you will gain much extra from the beefier arches on the highway. Anything is possible with rocks I suppose, your call. I look at the arches as becoming more of a must-have if you're planning a lot of off-roading with others and the terrain is a concern.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,251 Likes on 671 Posts

I added the standard (smaller) mudflaps before I noticed any rock chips … and they are great.

And when I offroad with them (I kind of have thrashed my X a few times… very impressed w it btw) and there are no issues with these mudflaps getting ripped off etc.

That said, mud *does* still fly up the side of the car in front of the rear wheels so it’s not full protection.

I do not have the wide fender flares - altho I think they look great, like my D2’s. Mostly I did not get the fender flares because I have an X model with gloss black trims…. and it seemed difficult to get the extended flares painted glossy black to match. Sidenote, the mudflaps look awesome with the gloss trims, I know people have commented on that but I think they look very cool. But if I had a non-glossy trimmed car I would 100% get the wider plastic fender flares.

I now have around 14,000 miles on the truck and about 1000-2000 miles ago I noticed what I would call significant rock chipping on the bottom gloss black panel of the rear doors. From a couple high speed highway trips to Nevada and back. Grrr. So much for the mudflaps preventing that, which was my hope.

… So I bought new bottom gloss black trim pieces from JLR for about $800 (3 per side between wheels). They come pre-painted. Ripped off the old ones, then had the new ones PPF’d and reinstalled front mudflaps (annoying installation btw!!), the PPF was so I wouldn’t have to worry about it. Costly but now I’m happy as a clam.

Also I have a set of the checker plate protective pieces sitting in a box in the garage, I haven’t installed them and may never do it…

Last edited by nashvegas; 08-20-2022 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jusmax88 (09-16-2022)