Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mudflap season and question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 04:37 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Mudflap season and question

I have seen numerous posts in which those who are working on their rigs and have the stock mudflaps complain about the added struggle they cause when making certain additions, repairs, or alterations.

Here is my question as I embark upon the muddy season in Idaho, for my rig, which did not come with stock mudflaps, why should I not install stock mudflaps? I routinely drive off-road or on muddy roads here during the spring run-off and rains and it seems that they would be helpful to keep the rocks off the side of the rig, but I am also considering the complaints I recall seeing.

I appreciate your opinions!

Old 02-26-2024, 04:55 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently installed a set of the classic mud flaps myself. Not sure how they would really interfere with working on the car, aside from maybe getting a floor jack onto the front lift points? If that is the case, I would just go in from the front onto the rubber lift pad.

All the bolts are accessible by removing a few plastic rivets on the wheel liner if they do need to come off for some reason. I didn't even take the wheels off to install them.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

The only thing I have heard with regard to mudflap problems, is that the classic ones can rip off the attachment point if they are pinched between a rock or curb when backing up. I don’t think it is super common but I have seen a few people run into the issue.

I installed the more modern version, which are not known to have that problem, but don’t provide as much protection as they are smaller. Personally I can see the difference after installation. The sides definitely stay cleaner with than they do without.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by AVLDefender
I don’t think it is super common
LOL, I’ve ripped both of my fronts off (Classic mud flaps) offroading, and the big problem is, they either pull the trim piece to which they’re attached off with them (right side did so) or they tear off of it but you had to drill the trim piece to install, so you have to get a replacement trim piece because there are holes in the old trim. Re-Installation of the trim is super easy, at least. Ive left the backs on because if I remove them I have to replace the drilled trim, so why not wait until they tear off themselves, which maybe will never happen.

Right front came off in deep mud I had to winch out of. Left front came off when I went over a very short stump (about 6” high, 6” diameter) with that tire and the stump ripped the flap off.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

I have the classic mud flaps on my CE. I’m not crazy about the looks but it stays cleaner than the other defenders I have owned. If I were off-roading I don’t think I would want them. It’s going to get dirty no matter what.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:47 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, I’ve ripped both of my fronts off (Classic mud flaps) offroading, and the big problem is, they either pull the trim piece to which they’re attached off with them (right side did so) or they tear off of it but you had to drill the trim piece to install, so you have to get a replacement trim piece because there are holes in the old trim. Re-Installation of the trim is super easy, at least. Ive left the backs on because if I remove them I have to replace the drilled trim, so why not wait until they tear off themselves, which maybe will never happen.

Right front came off in deep mud I had to winch out of. Left front came off when I went over a very short stump (about 6” high, 6” diameter) with that tire and the stump ripped the flap off.

NoGaBiker—are you replacing your classics with anything else? This was also a chief concern about the mudflaps. I was worried they may get torn off and cause additional damage, looks like you have the proof.

Old 02-26-2024, 10:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

I have the "modern" mudflaps (the genuine ones, but smaller than the classics, I'm not sure if "modern" is the right word but of the two, the smaller ones...). I have offroaded my truck pretty thoroughly as well and have bigger tires and a 1.5" rod lift. A few thoughts:

-- One of the mudflaps once started to pull that same plastic panel off right behind the front wheel pictured above when I went fast through a water crossing. It didn't come off fully and I popped it back on (with my hand) when off the trail.
-- They do keep dirt and debris off the side of the truck when driving in the rain and mud.
-- The original reason I got the mudflaps was to try and stop the rocks from chipping up the rear forward wheel arches as I've seen on here. And they do help with that. I think the classic ones probably help even more with this onroad.
-- Note: The genuine LR mudflaps are a pain in the rear to install (I did it myself) but it was ultimately fine with some fiddling. Just more complicated than I would have thought.
-- If they were easily 'knocked off" I would have done so by now...

So I'd say "two thumbs up" for them.

At the Whole Foods after a recent trail run - but you can see where the mud flings up aft of the flaps

The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
dshark1 (02-28-2024), The Phantom Menace (05-20-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
I have the "modern" mudflaps (the genuine ones, but smaller than the classics, I'm not sure if "modern" is the right word but of the two, the smaller ones...). I have offroaded my truck pretty thoroughly as well and have bigger tires and a 1.5" rod lift. A few thoughts:

-- One of the mudflaps once started to pull that same plastic panel off right behind the front wheel pictured above when I went fast through a water crossing. It didn't come off fully and I popped it back on (with my hand) when off the trail.
-- They do keep dirt and debris off the side of the truck when driving in the rain and mud.
-- The original reason I got the mudflaps was to try and stop the rocks from chipping up the rear forward wheel arches as I've seen on here. And they do help with that. I think the classic ones probably help even more with this onroad.
-- Note: The genuine LR mudflaps are a pain in the rear to install (I did it myself) but it was ultimately fine with some fiddling. Just more complicated than I would have thought.
-- If they were easily 'knocked off" I would have done so by now...

So I'd say "two thumbs up" for them.

At the Whole Foods after a recent trail run - but you can see where the mud flings up aft of the flaps
My flaps hang down a bit more than those.

Old 02-27-2024, 04:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by MFESQIDAHO
NoGaBiker—are you replacing your classics with anything else? This was also a chief concern about the mudflaps. I was worried they may get torn off and cause additional damage, looks like you have the proof.
Nope. I ran with 1 front and two rears for 6 months or so, because you could never see both fronts at the same time. Then the left front tore off and I was actually pleased, as it caused me to have to do what I wanted to do anyway, which is even things up. Now I just run rears and no fronts. If one of the rears gets torn off, I’ll go ahead and replace the trim panel on the other side as well, since from behind you can see both at the same time. Heading to Moab for 10 days next week so if they’re coming off it’s likely to be soon!