Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New defender meridian audio upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drjam
Understood with not willing to spend the money but whatever your budget, my suggestion would be to invest in a quality subwoofer, if speakers are your target. The factory sub speaker and what its housed in under the driver's seat is appalling in setup. The truck is GREAT , have fun with it!! Sound system, though, is so disappointing. To reiterate it's my HUMBLE suggestion. Others may feel differently as to what to improve basically.

Any clue as to where and how powerful the amp is?

Old 03-11-2024, 08:54 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if im understanding your question correctly, depends on your spec. its either a factory amp of 400w or 700w system. in either case, its located on the drivers side rear, on the interior of the quarter panel. If referring to the sub speaker, its located directly under the drivers seat (easy to get to). i believe its an inferior 9 inch speaker which uses the chassis as its enclosure. craziest thing, awful design for good musicl!!

and also... money is always well spent with sound deadening materials as mentioned by many others on these posts. factory does absolutely zero when it comes to proper sound proofing insulation with our defenders.

Last edited by drjam; 03-11-2024 at 09:06 PM. Reason: adding
Old 03-11-2024, 10:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

if im understanding your question correctly, depends on your spec. its either a factory amp of 400w or 700w system. in either case, its located on the drivers side rear, on the interior of the quarter panel. If referring to the sub speaker, its located directly under the drivers seat (easy to get to). i believe its an inferior 9 inch speaker which uses the chassis as its enclosure. craziest thing, awful design for good musicl!!

and also... money is always well spent with sound deadening materials as mentioned by many others on these posts. factory does absolutely zero when it comes to proper sound proofing insulation with our defenders.
Thanks, I do think it is the smaller of the two.
I am also gathering from a good source it is all fiber optic wirning which also presents a challenge to retrofit.
I guess I will proceed slowly and see what I find.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:01 PM
Drifting

you're welcome . good luck !!!

Old 08-14-2024, 09:22 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Not sure what genre of music youre listening to but I have a 23.5MY P400X with the Meridian Surround system and it sounds perfectly fine. I would hardly call it an 'inferior' sound system. Maybe its just a better system in the 110 versus the 90. I rented a RRS P400E last week with the same sound system and it too sounded perfectly fine.

Hey there... have a 23' D90 V8 with the supposed upgraded meridian surround system. Love, love my Defender ride but extremely disappointed with audio ranging from quality of sound to all the vibrations and rattles inside the cabin along with the ASD (audio sound design) feature that interferes/competes with the music through the speakers. I'm certain those of you who enjoy music are experiencing this, as I'm sure it's across the board with meridian install for the new Defenders. I know and realize they concentrate on the off road capabilities, but this is totally inadequate to have a such an inferior sound system that boasts 700 watts ,14 speakers and powerful subwoofer.
Would love to see any comments, suggestions and/or resolutions to make it better. Has truly become an intolerable listening pleasure.

The following 2 users liked this post by therift72:
Defendher (08-16-2024), JMF20 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by therift72
Not sure what genre of music youre listening to but I have a 23.5MY P400X with the Meridian Surround system and it sounds perfectly fine. I would hardly call it an 'inferior' sound system. Maybe its just a better system in the 110 versus the 90. I rented a RRS P400E last week with the same sound system and it too sounded perfectly fine.
there may be something to the 110's having been sound quality. the 90 is brutal with rattles and vibrations. the power of the system is good, no argument there. its the speakers that the factory use. HORRIBLBY cheap no doubt 110 or 90. subwoofer is awful. shouldnt be on high end vehicel but i think all manufactures do that because they can get away with whats behind the walls. Also the severe lack of sound deadening as well.
I listen to rock, alternative rock mostly.

Old 08-16-2024, 08:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 260 Likes on 157 Posts

there may be something to the 110's having been sound quality. the 90 is brutal with rattles and vibrations. the power of the system is good, no argument there. its the speakers that the factory use. HORRIBLBY cheap no doubt 110 or 90. subwoofer is awful. shouldnt be on high end vehicel but i think all manufactures do that because they can get away with whats behind the walls. Also the severe lack of sound deadening as well.
I have the 400w system in mine and I think it sounds pretty good. Nowhere near as good as the 825w Meridian Surround in my old Disco 5, but its not bad. I will say the speaker quality is worse on the Defender than on the Discovery. That had 8" front door woofers that were made with a fabric/composite material, while the Defender gets 6.5" paper cone door woofers. The tweeters on all JLR products are pretty high quality, as they are an aluminum-dome tweeter. The D5 also had the options of Meridian Trifield, Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DTS Neo:6. The Dolby setting had a bit more bass with a pronounced soundstage - ideal for when using the screen as a TV/movie player for non-US spec cars, and the DTS had a narrower soundstage, but sounded better for music. Meridian Trifield was my favorite, as it blends the center and side channels so you are truly surrounded in sound. The vocals were right in front of you, and you could clearly hear every instrument. Its a shame that JLR doesn't use the better hardware anymore, as it made a hell of a difference.

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 01:47 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I played alternative rock in my car this morning and think I figured out the problem with the sound - alternative rock sounds ****ing awful.

The following 2 users liked this post by therift72:
CincyRovers (08-16-2024), D110Xd (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 05:10 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

@drjam
What did you do untill now on your 90 to improve ?

​​​​​

Last edited by Defendit..; 08-16-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:08 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by therift72
I have a 24MY P400 110 XSE and was bracing for the worst system ever due to this thread. However, I find it about the same as my Audi SQ7 Prestige with upgraded Bose. Neither is ground breaking but they're not terrible. Audio systems seem like an afterthought in luxury vehicles these days (Audi, Porsche, and Defender all about the same) unless you want to spend 6-8K for Burmester that Porsche and Mercedes offer.

I have the Meridian option selected and the Bass set well below the middle. The Sub I have set a couple notches above middle, and the Treble a few notches below full. Will take a screen shot if I think of it and maybe people can try that configuration as well. I listen to mostly Indie and classic rock.

Last edited by jrjunior41; 08-16-2024 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: New defender meridian audio upgrade?