2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Defender potential problem. Need thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 09:18 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Defender potential problem. Need thoughts.

Hey all - bear with me on this. I purchased a 2023 Defender 130 Friday. Drive great Friday and Saturday-awesome vehicle. I installed the remote app Saturday night and Sunday (today) and tried out the remote climate control. I set the heat from in my home and 10 minutes later I got in, drove to the gas station. Turned the car off and parked- pumped my gas.

I got back in the car and the car would start but the gear shifter would not light up and I could not get the car into drive. After sitting in the car freaking out for 30 minutes it magically lit back up, I shifted into drive and got my *** home. I parked in my driveway and turned the car off and it again was doing this. I messed with it for 45 minutes and nothing. Everything turns on but shifter won't light and I can't drive.

After sitting and thinking for a bit - I decided to turn the climate back on remotely, but then remotely turn it off. I did that, went back outside and it started right up and I was able to drive again. Now every time I turn the car on it's good.

Fluke? Remote app issue? Anyone else experience this?

I'm bringing it up to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven’t tried remote heating/cooling yet. I’m wondering if the issue has anything to do with the 130 not recognizing your key fob when you get back into your truck. Similar to if you remote started the truck with the fob but got into the 130 w/o the key fob (say you left it on the kitchen counter or something); I’m assuming you couldn’t put it into gear and drive away, right?

Old 01-29-2023, 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiman01
I haven’t tried remote heating/cooling yet. I’m wondering if the issue has anything to do with the 130 not recognizing your key fob when you get back into your truck. Similar to if you remote started the truck with the fob but got into the 130 w/o the key fob (say you left it on the kitchen counter or something); I’m assuming you couldn’t put it into gear and drive away, right?
Logical

I use remote start daily with no issues but the above seems logical. I am sure your dealer will sort it out.

The following users liked this post:
Huc (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 11:50 PM
Huc
Mudding
Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm +1 w/Nuckle
I use remote start frequently here in Denver with the recent cold weather. Nary a problem with it.

My process:
1. Vehicle locked
2. key fob in my pocket + me out of sight of vehicle (eg a coffee shop etc)
2. Remote start app on my iPhone connects + starts vehicle + lets me set temperature
3. Do NOTHING with key fob - walk up to vehicle and unlock door w/key in my pocket + press door button for unlock and access
4. Foot on brake + put in gear + drive away (not pressing start button upon entry)
note: my wife has even been able to use her iPhone to remotely unlock the vehicle, get in, and wait for me as we stroll back to the vehicle. Did that as a test and it worked which was a surprise.

I post the above since I wonder if there's a sequence of events that's causing a glitch? This is my first remote start vehicle and I messed up the first few times with odd results I truly don't recall specifics of but your note sounded familiar. However, now I've got the pattern down and I've had consistent predictable results.

As was posted previously - seems like a dealer visit will likely sort it out - but this doesn't sound like a remote app issue.

The following users liked this post:
MattF (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Definite software issue. I haven't heard of this one yet but I bet since you have a new 130, I'd bet new software, new bug

Or perhaps an issue or problem with the gearshift selector/switchpack (or wiring to it/canbus) that prevents it from booting up.

Last edited by nashvegas; 01-30-2023 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a video of the issue with your phone. Take note of as many details about your process, ambient/situational information, and how to duplicate the issue as you possibly can. Bring all keys if you have multiple, including activity. Make sure both your phone and app are fully up to date.

Dealer diagnostic tech here (not JLR). All of this info will be extremely helpful to both the technician and LR if/when the issue is escalated to them. If they have to write new software or patch current software, this info will be key.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:09 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiman01
Thanks everyone. I will report back on what they say. If I can replicate it, I will definitely take a video. The weird part is the car actually turns on completely. It’s just an issue with the shifter. Very strange.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:41 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting. Again having not used it before, I assumed the vehicle engine would automatically turn on to avoid draining the battery when remote setting the temp.

Last edited by Jiman01; 01-30-2023 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-30-2023, 07:38 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm wondering if there was a software update running while you were waiting for it to warm up. I've had a few odd, electrical issues that go away pretty quickly and I always think there must be an update running somewhere. I have a '22 D110 P400 and sometimes the audio will just mute itself. When I press the radio **** down, the sound comes back. Yesterday, I couldn't get music to play from the radio on any source. Then it went away.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:42 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

did you press the brakes? do you need to press the brakes in order for it to recognize you're ready to drive?

Quick Reply: New Defender potential problem. Need thoughts.