Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lucky 8 video: Old Florida Rd

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
True, but winching doesn’t appreciably change that. If anything, it makes it worse because it tends to snug a truck down on its front springs, but with air suspension I don’t know if that happens or not — would assume it does.
NoGA -- that's a very interesting technical question.

My bet is that if you winch with a downward vector, applied evenly to both the front airbags, the airbags will attempt to maintain its elevation amount and run the air compressor to do so. This I would consider to be an advantage of air springs off-road, I suppose.

The disadvantage (other than remote operation reliability) is that the airbag contents (air) and compressor are subject to over-heating in challenging cycling up down up down conditions. As compared to the LR4 (D4), the New Defender has a reserve of air and compressor capability which is much larger. But, even so, it is expected in difficult conditions to be able to drive the air bag system to the point of it saying NO MAS ... and giving up a warning saying the same.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hmmmm... I don't know if Lucky 8 was focused on hawking their new winch tray and so went to it when they didn't need to, or if the 110 really wouldn't get up those two rocks without a winch pull. But they sure didn't look like climbs that would require all that stacking and winching. I guess the lack of articulation is really a bigger deal that you might think.

Also... at the beginning he says the 110 is on 35s; sure don't look like 35s to me, and I didn't know they would fit given the size of wheelwells as well as many other things. Did he misspeak or can you fit 35s on a 110 with a 2" air-suspension rod lift?

I notice the winch tray is not on their site yet that I could see.
Properly focused on showing off their winch I hope they sell many ........

Old 05-14-2021, 10:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dj200
Here’s another one on 35’s with details on the build.
By TFLoffroad featuring Denver Land Rover.

Wow...

Old 05-14-2021, 10:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Properly focused on showing off their winch I hope they sell many ........

Me too! I can't believe how hard it appears to be to install a winch on a Defender, given how many times I installed one on various Jeeps, both on OEM bumper:

And on various aftermarket bumpers that attached quite easily:

Obviously I knew this coming in and still chose the qualities I believe the Defender has that make it better for me now than a Wrangler. But It sure seems like those qualities could have been preserved while still building a platform with proper accessible recovery points and either an easily designed aftermarket winch attachment solution, or the ability to have your Defender assembled at the factory with a proper Warn Zeon 12k installed out front.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

NoGa:

Lucky 8 is working on a new metal bumper for the Defender. It will be there unhidden winch version, I think.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Very good to hear.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:02 PM
Ipe
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For what its worth, Old Florida Road (OFR) is no slouch. I've done it in my Hummer H3 (when I didn't know any better), and then in my JKUR (at first with a 4" lift on 35's and later on a 3" lift and 37's). The obstacle in question is pretty hard. The rocks are way bigger than what the camera shows you, and there are trees and a drop off on the left and a rock wall on the right. Oh, and the second rock is crowned so it likes to spit you to the sides. This video:

is of some seriously built jeeps. The first six minutes are on that obstacle. You be the judge on how easy it looks. Winching was the right choice. The ONLY vehicles that I've seen clear that obstacle with no issues was a pair of old WWII ******* Jeeps, lifted on 35's. They went right up but everything else drags the belly. The ******* also looked like they were about to go over on their backs but the old coots driving them acted like it was no sweat.