2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) Defender, A few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 06:06 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

My loops arrived yesterday - can't wait to attempt this install.
Matt

Originally Posted by GavinC
Recovery loop install is very easy.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...lation-111063/

It's insane they are not standard on all trims. An absolute must have. Best $200 you can spend. An hour or two install. I'm slow.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Yikes, that looks like an involved install - probably not something I could do in a public park I no garage. On the bright side, it looks to me like the recovery hooks are on the same frame as the tow hitch - thus suggesting they may be able to withstand the same
/similar duress.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by EchorecT7E
Yikes, that looks like an involved install - probably not something I could do in a public park I no garage. On the bright side, it looks to me like the recovery hooks are on the same frame as the tow hitch - thus suggesting they may be able to withstand the same
/similar duress.
I'm very much the novice with this stuff. This is really not a big job. Looks daunting but the bumper comes off easy enough and more importantly goes back on even easier. Quite a fun little project but to each their own.

The following users liked this post:
EchorecT7E (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 11:52 AM
Mudding

I'm very much the novice with this stuff. This is really not a big job. Looks daunting but the bumper comes off easy enough and more importantly goes back on even easier. Quite a fun little project but to each their own.
thanks for the reply. I’m not completely adverse, having done a sunroof replacement on an F150 (no small task). May I ask what tools you needed?

not to stray the conversation, but I’m also considering installing powerfuluk’s front undershield which I’ve read can be done without cutting the braces. I think I’d likely do both at once.

if I gain some confidence working on this car, I think next would be the integrated air compressor. Ruling out the winch for now until my set of traction pads fail me. Maybe I’ll pick up a hi lift if I need a small pull in a pinch.

I don’t have enough experience off roading in this vehicle to really know what I “need” yet in terms of recovery gear with the defender. Seems like you would almost have to try to get this thing stuck (I don’t think Moab level crawling is on my horizon).

Old 11-09-2022, 12:38 PM
Pro Wrench

thanks for the reply. I’m not completely adverse, having done a sunroof replacement on an F150 (no small task). May I ask what tools you needed?

not to stray the conversation, but I’m also considering installing powerfuluk’s front undershield which I’ve read can be done without cutting the braces. I think I’d likely do both at once.

if I gain some confidence working on this car, I think next would be the integrated air compressor. Ruling out the winch for now until my set of traction pads fail me. Maybe I’ll pick up a hi lift if I need a small pull in a pinch.

I don’t have enough experience off roading in this vehicle to really know what I “need” yet in terms of recovery gear with the defender. Seems like you would almost have to try to get this thing stuck (I don’t think Moab level crawling is on my horizon).
You sound a lot more adept than I.

Screwdriver, socket set, a torque wrench (for the bolts on the recovery loops) and a jack. I found jacking up one corner a bit helped me access some of the trickier screws. Might not be needed.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:58 PM
Mudding

You sound a lot more adept than I.

Screwdriver, socket set, a torque wrench (for the bolts on the recovery loops) and a jack. I found jacking up one corner a bit helped me access some of the trickier screws. Might not be needed.
Haha, I don’t think I’m adept at this sorta thing whatsoever, just refused to pay ford $2k to fix a sunroof so ordered a kit and spent a day taking apart the entire interior of that truck. I remember looking it all disassembled with the seats out and roof ripped apart thinking “what have I done”.

great to know on the tools, seems like basic kit. Would the stock scissor Jack work for that job?

Old 11-09-2022, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks for the info, appreciate the response! I’m really enjoying the vehicle as a whole, it’s an awesome machine.

Re: the button lights, it almost looks like discoloration on the transparent “M” part of the button, I can see it to a much lesser extent on the drivers side. Maybe the result of some cleaner used? It’s not on all of them.

The side plastic trim panels are mostly flush, I’m namely referring to the bottom portion. The top with the rubber lining seems flush with the window/rear doors however the bottom half seems to want to stick/jet out a bit. Any ideas there? My side box and ladder look to be factory installed as it’s a 2020, judging by the holes (although maybe that’s a cause of it). I did notice when it rained the other day there was some water coming out when I squeezed the lower portion inward towards the car…

Im going to call my dealer and ask on the winch, it’s something I want but again may not be entirely worth it if the dealer is going to charge $3k in labor. Im also considering fitting the front undershield with exposed hook, but not sure that’s a mod I could do in a shared parking garage.

to that tune, I think I may just use a hitch shackle for now. Seems like an easier option. I was more concerned about the hitch not being able to handle a recovery
I would def not install the winch at the dealer.... they charge ridiculous amounts to do it. Idk where you are but if you find a reputable third party they usually do it for 1/3 of the price and most of the time do a better job. I think my dealer quoted 12k for the LR one and wouldn't do lucky8. Third parties quoted me $3-4K all in.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

thanks for the info on the winch! Did you get the dealer to install it? If so, what were your costs and were you able to mount the lucky 8 one with the exposed recovery-eye undershield? I’ve read they aren’t yet compatible with one another.
Just remembered your original question and that I forgot to answer it. I ordered my truck with the aluminum front skidplate so it came that way from the factory. The Shop didn't mention it being an issue when they installed the winch, and it is still there a year later and bashed in a bit from some tough hits in the San Juans this summer so it must be appropriately mounted.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you use any locktite on frame bolts? I have my package coming from Simon Friday so planning on doing this over Thanksgiving holiday break. I snoozed and loozed to be able to get the sunglass holder :-(

Old 11-10-2022, 09:59 AM
Pro Wrench

Haha, I don’t think I’m adept at this sorta thing whatsoever, just refused to pay ford $2k to fix a sunroof so ordered a kit and spent a day taking apart the entire interior of that truck. I remember looking it all disassembled with the seats out and roof ripped apart thinking “what have I done”.

great to know on the tools, seems like basic kit. Would the stock scissor Jack work for that job?
Yes. Would work fine. I didn't need to raise it much, just took it up a touch to get to one screw that was giving me a minor problem.

Quick Reply: New (to me) Defender, A few questions.