Sponsored by:

New owner software question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 10:50 AM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New owner software question

Hi,

Just picked up a defender. The dealer said all software is updated, but I had no CarPlay, dealer didn’t seem to know CarPlay was available.

on the software update screen where I thought I would be able to see what software is running now it says:

”vehicle software up to date”

and then blank information for both “name” and “installed” u see the title “last installed software update”

what am I missing here to understand what software I have?

what should I do next to get an update or problem solve this?

- car is connected to AT&T
- it is connected to my home wifi network in the garage
- it does not broadcast a WiFi name for my phone to find and connect to
- my phone is connected to the vehicle via Bluetooth

thanks!

Old 03-12-2022, 05:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

You will probably have to wait for the OTA (over the air) update, I know when I 1st got my car it said "Software up to Date" but I soon got the Pivi Pro update to 3.0 which then enabled the wireless carplay features. Some people have has their dealer force the update but I'm guessing if yours didn't even know about Carplay there's not a lot of hope there. It is just a case and waiting for it unfortunately.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:31 AM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by teej
Hi,

Just picked up a defender. The dealer said all software is updated, but I had no CarPlay, dealer didn’t seem to know CarPlay was available.

on the software update screen where I thought I would be able to see what software is running now it says:

”vehicle software up to date”

and then blank information for both “name” and “installed” u see the title “last installed software update”

what am I missing here to understand what software I have?

what should I do next to get an update or problem solve this?

- car is connected to AT&T
- it is connected to my home wifi network in the garage
- it does not broadcast a WiFi name for my phone to find and connect to
- my phone is connected to the vehicle via Bluetooth

thanks!
Can you confirm what happens if you connect the phone directly using an Apple approved cable?

What software version are you running on your iPhone and what generation do you have?

Old 03-13-2022, 06:37 AM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The defender has a built in charger next to the console you lay your phone, no need to use a charger cable, when I got mine as someone mentioned it took a little while to upload everything.
AT&T is installed for three months
hope this helps

Old 03-13-2022, 09:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Dealer salesperson didn’t know Land Rovers come with CarPlay now? Seriously? Hard to believe (not you; I mean, hard to believe the guy who told you that.)

I get that they often don’t know the engine size or how the off-road modes work or how many speeds the transmission has, but I thought they spent days drilling on all that infotainment $h!t, since that seems to be what sells cars these days, and CarPlay is not exactly an obscure outlier in the segment.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
ballandchain (03-13-2022), GrouseK9 (03-13-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 11:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Dealer salesperson didn’t know Land Rovers come with CarPlay now? Seriously? Hard to believe
When I picked up mine a few weeks ago the salesman told me it didn't have wireless car play while pairing my phone - and then wireless car play kicked on

So yeah, they're not all that up to date on current features

Old 03-14-2022, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by castle
When I picked up mine a few weeks ago the salesman told me it didn't have wireless car play while pairing my phone - and then wireless car play kicked on

So yeah, they're not all that up to date on current features
Is yours a 23? I don't think my 2022 X-Dynamic SE has wireless carplay. In fact, I added a wireless dongle that plugs into the CarPlay USB port in order to get wireless CarPlay. If I have it it must have to be activated some way because it doesn't connect to my phone automatically (even though the phone is paired with the car through BT.)

At any rate, the dongle worked about 80% of the time, but the 20% was annoying enough that I just went back to plugging it in. Easy enough.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:46 AM
Overlanding

Mine is also a 22 X-Dynamic SE. Are you fully updated on the Pivi-Pro?
I think that was a new feature in the latest update

Old 03-14-2022, 11:47 AM
Overlanding

And - I had one of those dongles on my 2018 Q7. It worked, but took quite a while to work. In the Defender it's really quick to recognize the phone and switch over to carplay

Old 03-14-2022, 12:17 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by castle
Mine is also a 22 X-Dynamic SE. Are you fully updated on the Pivi-Pro?
I think that was a new feature in the latest update
Hmmm... I have gotten over the air updates before, but I can't swear that I'm at the newest level. But in August of 21 my truck didn't have the wireless feature. I guess if it's there now via update I need to do something to make it pair to my phone. I'll check it out. Glad to hear it connects fast and seamlessly when you have it.

Quick Reply: New owner software question