Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Requesting Build Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 07:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Newbie Requesting Build Feedback

I am getting ready to replace my 2014 BMW 328i M-Sport with a 2022 Defender 110S. As I have two 911s, I dont need something fast, and feel that the 4-Cyl is much more in keeping with the Defender's character. I have driven both the 4 and the 6 extensively and dont feel like the 15k upcharge is worth it for a bit more power. I was planning on placing this order a few months ago, but the local LR dealer really turned me off at the last minute with mandatory $400 nitrogen filled tires, $1500 paint protection package and $1000 Rear wheel cover charges. This is what I have settled on in regards to my build.

For those who have their cars already, are there options that you wish you had gotten? Are there accessories you think are worth it? I plan on taking this on the trails here in the North Carolina/ South Carolina/ Georgia area, and would like some future proof capability for eventual trips to Moab and such.

https://build.landrover/23F7D22A

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (06-23-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 09:04 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Not far off what I ended up getting. Was not in a position to order (first time in my life I've actually needed a vehicle with short notice). Mine is Pangaea, but the white roof and steelies make me very, very happy. I also agree with you on the 4cyl...it's a big floaty thing, 300hp is way more than enough. Have not once wished I had more power or torque.

I would have loved to have off road pack and towing pack but I could only find them in stupid high option cars (again, sort of anti to the cars character), and also 3rd row would have been nice to have. I will likely add towing package later, and realistically will never need the off road pack.

Mine was a shade under 60k (2021 model) and at that price point these things are a really nice value, I think. I could never option one to 80k+ personally, but to each their own.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:05 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
Not far off what I ended up getting. Was not in a position to order (first time in my life I've actually needed a vehicle with short notice). Mine is Pangaea, but the white roof and steelies make me very, very happy. I also agree with you on the 4cyl...it's a big floaty thing, 300hp is way more than enough. Have not once wished I had more power or torque.

I would have loved to have off road pack and towing pack but I could only find them in stupid high option cars (again, sort of anti to the cars character), and also 3rd row would have been nice to have. I will likely add towing package later, and realistically will never need the off road pack.

Mine was a shade under 60k (2021 model) and at that price point these things are a really nice value, I think. I could never option one to 80k+ personally, but to each their own.
Oh and accessories: Classic Mud Flaps!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling

love the classic mudflaps. I was thinking wheel well protectors, mudflaps and sunshield.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by heliochrome85
I am getting ready to replace my 2014 BMW 328i M-Sport with a 2022 Defender 110S. As I have two 911s, I dont need something fast, and feel that the 4-Cyl is much more in keeping with the Defender's character. I have driven both the 4 and the 6 extensively and dont feel like the 15k upcharge is worth it for a bit more power. I was planning on placing this order a few months ago, but the local LR dealer really turned me off at the last minute with mandatory $400 nitrogen filled tires, $1500 paint protection package and $1000 Rear wheel cover charges. This is what I have settled on in regards to my build.

For those who have their cars already, are there options that you wish you had gotten? Are there accessories you think are worth it? I plan on taking this on the trails here in the North Carolina/ South Carolina/ Georgia area, and would like some future proof capability for eventual trips to Moab and such.

https://build.landrover/23F7D22A

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
You specified the big three factory options correctly to go off-road where you note, which is very good: off-road pack, towing pack, air suspension. The other items you will likely need for trails will be post-factory add-ons.

I hope you found a different dealer. Which one attempted to mandate nitrogen filled tires (what is the purpose by the way?), paint protection and rear wheel cover -- so I may avoid this dealer? Thanks.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Definitely find another dealer. Especially if ordering. Even if you have to travel for it. You hit the big three. One thing to caveat is that the Dealer installed options can result in hidden labor charges. Some report them to be extortionarily high. Is that a word? You get it. Make sure you get a Purchase Order of the final (installed) costs.

I waffled on the 4 v. 6-cylinder. In the end it was less about the power than my perception that the 6 will have a higher resale value. But that's out the window. Right now, the resale value on these things is INSANE. So, in this case, I don't think there are bad options around # of cylinders, just whichever you prefer.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Glad I got the tow hitch so I can use my hitch mounted 1UP bike rack.

The center console cooler is great. Much bigger than the one we had in our LR4. Can fit a couple of water bottles and sandwiches. Also has 2 different temperature settings. Nice to have on longer trips.

I have never liked heads-up displays. I find them distracting and don't like the big projection hole in the dashboard. But I'm probably in the minority regarding that option.

Last edited by PaulLR; 06-21-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Sounds like a great build.

I guess I get the 4-cyl vs 6-cyl thing, because my primary ride is a Jeep that's got 100 hp less than our P400. But the P400 is sublime, I really like the power.

Then again white roof and wheels, especially 18's look and probably perform great so I get this build.

I'm also not a head's up display kinda guy. But that's me.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

As a serial 911/Turbo/GT3 owner (and currently GT4, which I swear I like best of all!) I find your perspective interesting. I felt like the 4 cyl was insufficient, given the truck's girth. And I have a 2-door 6-speed manual JK Wrangler with 268 hp (although at 3800 pounds or so it's a lot lighter than a 110) and I'm fine with that power, but that's mainly because the JK is such a bad, bad road vehicle anyway.

As far as "eventual trips" to Utah, I'd check every off-road related box there is: Off Road Pack (074QA), Air Suspension (014AB), Tow Pack (028HB) (Which includes Advanced Off Road Pack, which has Terrain Response 2 (088IA), All Terrain Progress Control (095CB), and Configurable Terrain Response (184AC). You can select those with Advanced Off Road Pack without the tow package, but I have always towed a small trailer to Moab with extra wheels/tires when going out for several weeks at a time in the Jeep, and would like to have that capability if I want it for the Defender.

I also added console refrigerator, as mentioned above. The various body protection packs are a good idea. I got Basic Interior Protection and Storage Pack (DF002), Exterior Protection Pack (DF007), Chequer Body Protection (DF0CB), Undershield (DF0US). I also added Clearsite RVM (031BS), which should be nice if the back of the truck is loaded.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (06-21-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
As a serial 911/Turbo/GT3 owner (and currently GT4, which I swear I like best of all!) I find your perspective interesting. I felt like the 4 cyl was insufficient, given the truck's girth. And I have a 2-door 6-speed manual JK Wrangler with 268 hp (although at 3800 pounds or so it's a lot lighter than a 110) and I'm fine with that power, but that's mainly because the JK is such a bad, bad road vehicle anyway.

Good luck!

My guess is that you enjoy more power than me in general. Considering the poor quality roads as well as poorer quality drivers here in SC, I don't know where more power would benefit me. The Defender has fairly good driving dynamics for an SUV, but it is no Cayenne or X5M, and thus I dont know if I want more power in it,. I figured the 4 Cyl was the best match to its overall lumbering character.

Quick Reply: Newbie Requesting Build Feedback