Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 12:51 PM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default OEM Dashcam

I thinking my OEM dealer installed dash-cam is not wired properly. The cam powers up when I open the doors. I think it shouldn’t power up until the car is started??? Anyone have one that can share how yours powers up?

Old 11-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Not sure how much this will help, @Hovdebo but here's my 2 cents worth. First a disclaimer. I don't have them, but I've been lusting for them a while and looking them over while trying to bite the bullet. If you have the JLR variant (VPLKV0134), then they should be "always on" or have that feature. They are designed to record contact with the vehicle when it is parked. Here's the blurb on the description:

With built in parking mode the camera will record events that occur while you are not driving thanks to built in shock sensor and radar sensors.
The camera will record automatically as soon as you unlock the car so you can be sure not to mis any event that you happens while you are driving.

So, I wouldn't sweat it. Sounds like it is working per design. Starts recording once you unlock the vehicle.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:31 AM
Drifting

I was also having battery drain issues and thought maybe the cam powering up was contributing to it. When I went camping for 2 days the battery drained from just opening & closing the doors. Also the sunroof cover would open / close when I unlocked/ locked the doors but I figured out how to turn that off in the climate settings.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I keep one of these in the LoadSpace storage. Keep it topped up before every "trip" I think I may need it on. Haven't used it yet, but I call it my insurance policy. It was a "WireCutter" recommended booster. Good enough for me. I'll let you know if it lets me down.

A Marine buddy once told me that "you can never over blow something up." In the same mindset, if it's rated for 7-Liter diesel engines, it should be good to go for my needs.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by GrouseK9; 11-22-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Not sure how much this will help, @Hovdebo but here's my 2 cents worth. First a disclaimer. I don't have them, but I've been lusting for them a while and looking them over while trying to bite the bullet. If you have the JLR variant (VPLKV0134), then they should be "always on" or have that feature. They are designed to record contact with the vehicle when it is parked. Here's the blurb on the description:

With built in parking mode the camera will record events that occur while you are not driving thanks to built in shock sensor and radar sensors.
The camera will record automatically as soon as you unlock the car so you can be sure not to mis any event that you happens while you are driving.

So, I wouldn't sweat it. Sounds like it is working per design. Starts recording once you unlock the vehicle.
I actually found some settings in the app where you can turn off the radar or park modes. When the door opens it seems to power up for about 5 mins then shuts off, the 12v console plug powers up also (strange) I noticed cause I had my radar plugged in to it. The air compressor is live also when you open the doors, guess I just not used to anything having power until you start the car.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I keep one of these in the LoadSpace storage. Keep it topped up before every "trip" I think I may need it on. Haven't used it yet, but I call it my insurance policy. It was a "WireCutter" recommended booster. Good enough for me. I'll let you know if it lets me down.

A Marine buddy once told me that "you can never over blow something up." In the same mindset, if it's rated for 7-Liter diesel engines, it should be good to go for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
yes, I am going to carry a booster with me & install an onboard charger & plug the car in if the campsite has electricity

Old 11-22-2021, 09:53 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Hovdebo: I’ve been trying to decide on a dash cam for my MY22 Dynamic X-SE, and I’m between the OEM, because of the rear cam and the ability for Live View from an Android or Apple device, and other aftermarket cams which lack the rear cam and the Live View. But I’m hesitant about the OEM because of some of the reviews about balky software. How has your experience been so far? Can you access the claimed features from your smartphone?

Old 11-22-2021, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Hovdebo: I’ve been trying to decide on a dash cam for my MY22 Dynamic X-SE, and I’m between the OEM, because of the rear cam and the ability for Live View from an Android or Apple device, and other aftermarket cams which lack the rear cam and the Live View. But I’m hesitant about the OEM because of some of the reviews about balky software. How has your experience been so far? Can you access the claimed features from your smartphone?
I really can’t say too much about it for now, I just installed the app yesterday. Not sure what the live view is all about, cause the camera needs to be powered up & u need to be in close proximity to access the cams wifi. I got the dealer to install (2 hours labour are given for it) so if something went wrong or malfunction it would be covered under warranty. Message me if their is something
specific you want me to check out for you.

Old 11-23-2021, 04:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
I've had a few aftermarket cams with front, rear, and live view through their apps. $150 Vava has been the most rock-solid so far. Works every single time. Funny because they got kicked off of Amazon for paying for 5-star reviews. I got $40 so, at $110 net, it's been better than the $600 BlackVue I had before it.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:02 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Hovdebo
I really can’t say too much about it for now, I just installed the app yesterday. Not sure what the live view is all about, cause the camera needs to be powered up & u need to be in close proximity to access the cams wifi. I got the dealer to install (2 hours labour are given for it) so if something went wrong or malfunction it would be covered under warranty. Message me if their is something
specific you want me to check out for you.
Hovdebo: I’m interested in the OEM cam because of the Live View capability, which as reported, allows you to ‘watch’ your cams view via the Land Rover Dash Cam app. I’m thinking this is a great option, since you could be away from your vehicle, open the app, view the surroundings, and if there was suspicious activity, you could go to the Remote app, and activate the ‘Flash and Beep’ mode, hopefully dissuading anyone from attempting any nefarious acts. When you are able to get it all up and running, please give an update as to its functionality.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (11-29-2021)

Quick Reply: OEM Dashcam