2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Online Pack with Data Plan has expired. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 11:32 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I am still 4-5 months away from a year and was curious what mine says. I don't even have an expiration listed anymore. It used to have the same date as the Navigation which I thought was odd because it was 4 years out. I didn't add the online pack with WiFi with my build because the dealer told me it was just the subscription and I could pay for it later. So, I've never had the Wifi hotspot (but how many people have got it to work anyway, lol) but all my apps have always worked.

Anyway, no solution, just more questions I suppose.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

My dad once told me - you never know what kind of insurance you have until you need to file a claim. I think the same is true with all the JLR data plans. I think there are so many things in play here and so many different "options" that are all kind of confusing to me. I'm sure that is highly intentional as a pricing policy. It could be that the terminology is inconsistently used. It's likely my limited intellectual capacity. Anyway: what are we talking about here?

Data Plan - As I understand it there are two. One is the data plan that you can add to the vehicle to have an internal hotspot & data. The other is to flow all of the Nav, monitors, incontrol, etc. The former I don't have, the later I do. I care about the later and have no clue when that's going to shut down or the cost to continue to use their in car nav. Not a big deal, as I much prefer CarPlay based apps.
Connected Nav Pro - Is this the same as the above or separate?
Remote - Is this the remote fob or is this the inControl? If I have to do a subscription for the actual Fob I will lose my "crap" as I think this is unique. The later will be a bummer, but depends on pricing.
Wifi - I haven't tried this, but is it just possible to route things through my phone's hotspot? I suspect this will work with the PiviPro apps but not the Nav.

Oh well, likely something I won't put enough brain cells into it until it impacts me down the line. Any insights would be appreciated, though.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@umbertob - Just read your post. If you have the wireless charger, you can put your phone on it and it has a built in cell booster. I use a wallet style case on mine so I never use it. But if you want to boost your cell phone reception and have the charger, that may work for you.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Like it or not, in the future, features are built into every car and only enabled through subscription. Everything from autonomy, infotainment, HP increases, off-road modes, and safety features will be pay-as-you go.

It's the only way they'll make up the reduced maintenance demand in the transition to EV.

The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (09-29-2021), Mechano2020 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 02:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Remote - Is this the remote fob or is this the inControl? If I have to do a subscription for the actual Fob I will lose my "crap" as I think this is unique. The later will be a bummer, but depends on pricing.
Wifi - I haven't tried this, but is it just possible to route things through my phone's hotspot? I suspect this will work with the PiviPro apps but not the Nav.

Oh well, likely something I won't put enough brain cells into it until it impacts me down the line. Any insights would be appreciated, though.
That is a very good catch, valid point. You probably won't have remote start without a data plan. However, you will still be able to do tracking - where the vehicle is ( that is the other part of data which comes with the vehicle ).
Remote lock and unlock, will also not work without a data plan.
I never thought of that ....

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 05:41 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

So I called, the CSR at first offered to re-send me the email she said I should have received a month or so before my plan's expiration a few weeks ago, but after keeping me on hold for a couple of minutes she caught up and found out no such emails are being sent to customers with Pivi Pro in their vehicles anymore, since Land Rover still hasn't figured out how to get customers to pay for renewal fees of their Online Pack and Data plans. She assigned a case # to my request and a "Level 2" CSR should call me back tomorrow morning. She anticipates I will most likely receive a complimentary renewal, courtesy of Land Rover, until they eventually get their s**t together,, which at this point I hope they never do.

The following 5 users liked this post by umbertob:
Chief65 (10-01-2021), GrouseK9 (10-01-2021), Juancl (10-01-2021), Rychlr (09-30-2021), _Allegedly (09-30-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

That's interesting, and probably why my expiration date disappeared.

Damn, I really wish I had added the hotspot when I placed my order...

Old 10-01-2021, 11:44 AM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick4
That's interesting, and probably why my expiration date disappeared.

Damn, I really wish I had added the hotspot when I placed my order...
Mine has the data plan and hotspot, and the expiration date has also disappeared.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
So I called, the CSR at first offered to re-send me the email she said I should have received a month or so before my plan's expiration a few weeks ago, but after keeping me on hold for a couple of minutes she caught up and found out no such emails are being sent to customers with Pivi Pro in their vehicles anymore, since Land Rover still hasn't figured out how to get customers to pay for renewal fees of their Online Pack and Data plans. She assigned a case # to my request and a "Level 2" CSR should call me back tomorrow morning. She anticipates I will most likely receive a complimentary renewal, courtesy of Land Rover, until they eventually get their s**t together,, which at this point I hope they never do.
Yes, I got the same answer from JLR N.A. ... so ... in a way, this is good that they take care of this issue. Enjoy while it last !

Old 10-01-2021, 09:10 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Not as easy as flipping a switch to resume my data plan, it appears my system may have issues and the case # has been turned into a tech support ticket. Text of the email I received tonight for my "level 2" CSR (he tried reaching out by phone earlier but I couldn't answer.):
Hello Mr. Xxxxxxcc

I hope you are well.

I apologize for missing you today. I asked Jim to pass on your case status, we're opened a technical support ticket to confirm the issues.

My understanding is the Wi-Fi hotspot in your vehicle has stopped working, and this is following an expiry notice.

The PIVI system does not currently have a method for renewal. We haven't released one yet, and are providing complementary extensions to customers. We will contact customers with further instructions relating to subscription expiry and the method of renewal once implemented, but no action is needed by customers as of now.

Being that the hotspot isn't working, and the renewal is automatic and complimentary, I opened the ticket because the non-functional nature lets me know we have a different issue.

The technical support team has investigated and are requesting the following:

Has customer wifi /data within vehicle stopped working? (confirm it is not working please)

When did customer first notice this?

Could we have a date/timestamp of when customer last tried to use data/wifi?

Please let me know at your earliest convenience so we can continue troubleshooting with our technical support team.

Thank you for being a Land Rover customer.

Best,

Alfredo F.

Customer Relationship Centre
I supplied them the info they need via return email. We'll see what happens next... As recently as tonight, no Wi-Fi, I can connect devices to in-car hotspot but there is no internet, native music apps are all stuck."buffering" forever... Weather app continues working normally though, which is kind of puzzling as, in theory, that app should also be tied to the data plan, no?

Quick Reply: Online Pack with Data Plan has expired. Now what?