Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open vs electronic differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 04:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Open vs electronic differential

So in the build sheet it says “027DH Open Differential with Torque Vectoring by Braking” and when trying to build the defender it has “electronic differential with torque vectoring by braking”.

anyone know what is the difference here between open vs electronic?

Old 03-15-2023, 08:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

samdef:

This is a new and very pertinent question. The marketing folks at JLR are on a new lower-the-cost campaign it seems.

Could you please either scan and attach your order sheet or let us know which vehicle model and options who have specified?

This does a good job of explaining the facts of the situation ... but does not include history or context:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...explains/38379

"Brake-based torque vectoring makes use of the car's existing braking and stability control systems to enable a cost-effective form of torque vectoring, imitating the far more expensive active differential-based systems."

We can write more, as necessary.

Enjoy!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-15-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Open is standard. 027DC is the e diff if that's what you're asking.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

There a now two eDiffs, it seems.

The expensive one with two clutches and no direct, 100% correlation with braking ... and the less expensive one which electronically acts as a limited-slip differential in concert with two wheel braking on the inner wheels.

The expensive one provides the opportunity for the differential to act at zero vehicle velocity (launch control) -- useful off road. The less expensive one can only act with the wheels rolling and in concert with the brakes (slows the vehicle in every case).

-------------
Enjoy !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-15-2023 at 10:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mdgs (03-16-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 09:52 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
There a now two eDiffs, it seems.

The expensive one with two clutches and no direct, 100% correlation with braking ... and the less expensive one which electronically acts as a limited-slip differential in concert with two wheel braking on the inner wheels.

The expensive one provides the opportunity for the differential to act at zero vehicle velocity (launch control) -- useful off road. The less expensive one can only act with the wheels rolling and in concert with the brakes (slows the vehicle in every case).

----------------
My editorial comment is that JLR marketing is purposely confusing people. Which subjectively strikes me as shameless, disingenuous and not greatly helpful.

-------------
Enjoy !
Open diff what you always got when you didn't pay for the e diff option. This is from '21.

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...nd/land-rover/

Old 03-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Allegedly:

Very interesting ... so the torque vectoring by braking is not new. Good to know. Thanks.

I edited out my grumpy comment in my prior post. I am still sore with JLR for putting "19 wheels on their premier off-road vehicles as standard (an assumption which I fell for >10 years ago) -- and not telling people clearly that off-road tires in the tire marketplace are not available at that size.

So, the "open differential with with torque vectoring by braking" must have logic which precludes the use of inner wheel braking when turning at low-speeds, and /or off-road, and reverts to the open diff.,acting as limited-slip differential logic of the LR4 gen. (individual braking at each of the four wheels).

Old 03-15-2023, 10:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Allegedly:

I am still sore with JLR for...
So many possibilities

The following 3 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
ficklma1 (03-15-2023), jusmax88 (03-15-2023), TrioLRowner (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 07:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Sure. Here is a screenshot from build sheet.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Also do you know if we can tell e-diff is available from the screen? I'm assuming these are software controlled.

Old 03-16-2023, 11:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

samdef:

Yes, they are software controlled -- no direct driver invention. To upgrade to a rear ediff , you must purchase the OFF-ROAD PACK. Per Allegedly, your build detail would then carry the code of 027DC. As well, you would see a locking rear-diff icon actively changing color on the 4x4 screen when driving.

Looking at your specification sheet, particularly the 22" wheels and the premium interior upgrade, it appears you are probably not looking to go off-road too often, nor deeply. If correct, you will not miss having the eDiff (unless you will be driving very aggressively and fast on-road -- race lap torque vectoring).

There are several long threads discussing the relative advantages / unnecessariness of the "Rear eDiff". Basically, if comes down to it is only worth the extra cost if you are intending to off-road in challenging conditions, often. Lots of discussions on wheel sizes, off-road tires, winches, rock sliders, roo bars, and braking caliper changes accompany that conversation.

Enjoy!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-16-2023 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VillaDazzler (03-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Open vs electronic differential