Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on the ClearSight Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 06:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Opinions on the ClearSight Mirror

I am ordering a 2022 Defender and was wondering about the ClearSight mirror which is now a paid option as opposed to being included. What is everyone's opinion on it, is it worth it, if so how do you use it in the real world? I think it is cool but can't think of a good use day to day compared to the normal rear view mirror unless you are pulling a trailer. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

LOVE IT.

Complete, unobstructed views behind you all the time.

No spare tire, luggage, or other interference.

One of my favorite features.

One of the unexpected benefits is that you also never really have to adjust it. The angle doesn't really effect the display.

The irony is I catch myself looking for myself or the kids at least once every time I drive it and shout out "vampire" which stands for the damn thing makes me think I'm a vampire.

Last edited by Kev M; 04-16-2021 at 06:12 PM.
angelboing (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Tried it on a test drive and found out it wasn't for me at all. I went from it being a must have to there's no way I'd use this nearly as much as I expected.

For me it didn't work well as an 'always on' rear view mirror, it was much too jittery on the rough roads around my area and the reflections on a sunny day were making it difficult to see much of anything to be honest. When backing up out of a parking space I tried to use it and even that wasn't such a good experience as it was difficult to judge how far away objects really were. Then I looked down and saw the vehicle already has a great backup camera right in front of me with more accurate distance perspective so at the end of the day I went home and configured my subsequent builds leaving it off.

With that being said, if money is no object go for it. You can always switch it off and then use it if / when needed, I just don't quite know when that would be. Someone said it may be that I need reading glasses so for me it wouldn't be a good fit, that could be, I do use readers but I don't need anything for distance at all so I wouldn't be driving with readers on. If you use readers you might want to test drive with the mirror, a lot of the dealer stock vehicles seemed to have this option on them.

Oh, and regarding it being a paid option, I think it always was unless you optioned in the jumpseat where it becomes a must have with the view blocked.

Last edited by Chief65; 04-16-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
Tried it on a test drive and found out it wasn't for me at all. I went from it being a must have to there's no way I'd use this nearly as much as I expected.

For me it didn't work well as an 'always on' rear view mirror, it was much too jittery on the rough roads around my area and the reflections on a sunny day were making it difficult to see much of anything to be honest. When backing up out of a parking space I tried to use it and even that wasn't such a good experience as it was difficult to judge how far away objects really were. Then I looked down and saw the vehicle already has a great backup camera right in front of me with more accurate distance perspective so at the end of the day I went home and configured my subsequent builds leaving it off.

With that being said, if money is no object go for it. You can always switch it off and then use it if / when needed, I just don't quite know when that would be. Someone said it may be that I need reading glasses so for me it wouldn't be a good fit, that could be, I do use readers but I don't need anything for distance at all so I wouldn't be driving with readers on. If you use readers you might want to test drive with the mirror, a lot of the dealer stock vehicles seemed to have this option on them.

Oh, and regarding it being a paid option, I think it always was unless you optioned in the jumpseat where it becomes a must have with the view blocked.
I had the complete opposite experience. I thought it was gimmicky but now I use it constantly. I’ve had zero glare/issue on sunny days from any angle. Never jittered once, so I’m not sure what you were seeing or maybe the sample you tried was defective. I have zero issues with judging distance and it gives me a better field of vision than the normal. The clear view is always, well, clear while my back window is constantly dirty and the spare tire takes up a massive amount of the field of vision. I wouldn’t hesitate, it’s really that good.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2020Defend3r:
Chief65 (04-16-2021), Kev M (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Let me add that it took a minute to get used to.

The perspective is from the roof of the vehicle and so there's a slight change in depth perception. It's a little creepy how well you can see drivers behind you at a stop.

There's no reason to use it backing up as there's a much better resource in the media display and the backup camera with the predictive lines.

But that's the closest thing I've found to a disadvantage.

We've not had a any problems with it shaking/blurring in the slightest (sounds like a fault) or with glare. Though as stated you can flick a lever and it acts like a regular mirror.

Chief65 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

I have it on another vehicle and realized two things:

1. It works really well as a replacement for a rear view mirror in a vehicle with obstructed view and makes it much safer.

2. I am a lot more vain than I thought I was. I never realized how often I checked myself out in the mirror until I wasn't able to.

Last edited by soulsea; 04-16-2021 at 07:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by soulsea:
Chief65 (04-16-2021), Kev M (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Defend3r
I had the complete opposite experience. I thought it was gimmicky but now I use it constantly. I’ve had zero glare/issue on sunny days from any angle. Never jittered once, so I’m not sure what you were seeing or maybe the sample you tried was defective. I have zero issues with judging distance and it gives me a better field of vision than the normal. The clear view is always, well, clear while my back window is constantly dirty and the spare tire takes up a massive amount of the field of vision. I wouldn’t hesitate, it’s really that good.
Yea I don't know, could be a defective one or my eyes are bad, but I would say with any of these features always test drive it first if possible, at these prices things add up fast. I watched shedlock2000's six month frank review on Youtube the other day and I believe he said he wouldn't spend anyone's money on that mirror but if it works well for some people who option it on I guess that's all that really matters.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chief65
Yea I don't know, could be a defective one or my eyes are bad, but I would say with any of these features always test drive it first if possible, at these prices things add up fast. I watched shedlock2000's six month frank review on Youtube the other day and I believe he said he wouldn't spend anyone's money on that mirror but if it works well for some people who option it on I guess that's all that really matters.
You speak some real wisdom there.

It doesn't matter that I love it and you hate it to anyone else.

They have to find out for themselves how THEY feel.

Really the rest is all bunk.

👍

It's one of the reason I don't bother paying any attention to "reviews".

Chief65 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I have it on mine. I find the “best” position for the mirror in Clearview mode is not the same as while it is in mirror mode. For me at night I ended up seeing both the camera view and the mirror view. I think it has something to do with the fact I wear reading glasses.

I changed the position to read better as a screen and it works great.

Chief65 (04-17-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to admit I have the ClearSight on my current Defender a 2020 First Edition, and I have tried it but not found it that useful. I thought maybe I was not using it to the best of its abilities as it seems like a very cool feature (my kids think it is awesome). So thanks for all the feedback and it is not a big cost option to add in a new build so maybe having the option for it is worth it in the end. I did notice on a recent road trip it was distracting, like a having a TV on all the time, using it on the interstate.

Chief65 (04-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Opinions on the ClearSight Mirror