2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which options to configure in, and which to buy elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 01:52 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Which options to configure in, and which to buy elsewhere?

Heeding the warnings given to me elsewhere...

The list is pretty simple, actually. In order of being in the build list:
  • Raised Air Intake
  • Expedition Roof Rack & Ladder
  • Side-Mounted Gear Carrier (still not sure if I want this, or I'd rather have a MOLLE plate instead)
  • Wheel Arch Protection VPLEP0380
  • Front Undershield & Expedition System (VPLEP0436 & VPLE110FEP01)
  • Loadspace Partition Net LR133503
  • Loadspace Rails VPLES0543
  • Fire Extinguisher VPLYS0430
  • Integrated Air Compressor VPLES0617
The first three come with Explorer Pack, which also includes useless to me mudflaps.

Three main considerations, in no particular order:
  • Price
  • Time to delivery
  • Where it gets installed. If it gets done on the factory, I'm happy as a dog. If at the dealership, not so much. I've had tons of bad luck with dealer service on the same campus JLR dealership is owned by so I don't know if I trust them to do things right, but then again I'm not too much excited to rip and cut into a new vehicle so I'd rather reach a sensible compromise here. But if there's a third party product that is better than the stock - I'd happily consider it.
Not to get up twice, what are the usual places to get the components from? (I did find a couple that seem to have 20-40% lower prices than the stock while apparently being legit, just don't want to list them here not to give any bias or false advertisement)

Any words of wisdom?

Old 06-22-2024, 08:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Are you wanting to have all factory accessories?

The reason I ask is your #1 consideration was price.

A lot on that list is installed at the dealer when it gets there if you add it to the build list.

Old 06-22-2024, 08:23 AM
Winching
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

I think all the options you listed will be installed by the selling dealer. They are not difficult to install and I would not worry about them being done by the factory. Just get what you want. There are tons of aftermarket products out there.

Old 06-22-2024, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

The most complicated OE option to install is the Warn winch on the front bumper, but even that isn’t handled at the plant — in the US, at least, it was handled in Brunswick, GA by contractors working for JLR, at the port of entry. Since it was about $5000 for the mounting kit and winch, and it wasn’t going to be factory built anyway, and when I got mine parts weren’t even available, it made sense to go aftermarket all the way.

The point being, if some unknown 3rd party is going to be installing things at the port of entry or at your dealership, I don’t see any big reason to order it with the truck unless a) minimum hassle is a consideration (you won’t have to think about it — when you pick up your truck it has everything on it), or b) you are financing it and want to finance the options also.

The following users liked this post:
paule (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 12:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

I’d not have the dealer install anything. Most of those are dealer installed.

rack is very useful. Good bit if kit. Simple install. Easy to buy anywhere.

OEM ladder works great until it doesn’t. Mine snapped with me on it. I’d go aftermarket. Same cheap materials but without the LR badging and pricing. 250 v 1100 or so.

RAI serves no useful purpose unless you find yourself in dusty desert settings on a regular basis. It’s not watertight and adds nothing. Will be a hassle to remove when your windshield breaks. All downside. No benefits.

Ladder and gear carrier are simple install. As is the rack. DIY.

I had the front undershield installed at port. They did a terrible job. Cross threaded the bolts. $1000 including installation costs. Useful kit but I had to reinstall the plate myself. Not a big job. Replaced it with another after it got sufficiently bashed.

Aircompressor. Better options for less $ exist. I’d pass.

The following 4 users liked this post by GavinC:
DaveCNB (09-02-2024), Huc (06-22-2024), Joh66 (08-28-2024), paule (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 01:54 PM
Huc
Mudding
Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

For warranty purposes - I had the dealer install all of the options you noted. It was equally helpful with respect to windshield replacement glass claims. Our State Farm glass coverage covers the additional costs to remove the Raised Air Intake (RAI) and reinstall as it was part of the original vehicle purchase [Edit: I do have to pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement]. That's worth double checking should it affect your insurance windshield coverage. I don't recall itemized cost but it was enough to make me be glad I asked the question ahead of time!

Overall, I agree (RAI) value is certainly subjective to driving conditions. Given the dusty conditions we encounter regularly here in many area of Colorado, and Utah, I've found the RAI very helpful in that regard. I fondly (#sarcasm ) asking the dealer to change the Air Filter at the first service (±22K). Asking them if they replaced the Air Filter - they said it's "not necessary & not part of routine schedule so wasn't checked", I went home and checked it, a flashlight couldn't push through. 'Nuff said... local conditions and common sense should prevail. Related, I'm often asked what I carry in the exterior lunch box and it's: cabin air filter + engine air filter + engine oil + 50/50 bottle of premixed engine coolant + assorted odds and sods like gloves, rags, etc.. Well, that and I have a pick and pluck foam insert I've cobbled together for when I choose to back libations and proper glasses for events :-D

The front under shield I had installed by a trusted third party vendor along with rock rails.

Last edited by Huc; 06-22-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2024, 02:21 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
RAI serves no useful purpose unless you find yourself in dusty desert settings on a regular basis.
That's exactly where I am, in the desert Fine dust quite similar to Moab that will get through air filters, I'd rather have less of it reach them to begin with.

I had the front undershield installed at port. They did a terrible job. Cross threaded the bolts.
That's what scares me sleepless. If installing the part involves drilling a body member, and they botch it... they will never tell me, and I'll find out years if not decades later when the effects of that spread beyond repair (and, of course, beyond warranty, and, of course, "we didn't do it").

$1000 including installation costs. Useful kit but I had to reinstall the plate myself. Not a big job. Replaced it with another after it got sufficiently bashed.
From the docs I read, I remember that it's not just the undershield that is affected but there are more front end reinforcements.

Aircompressor. Better options for less $ exist. I’d pass.
I already have a portable compressor I was quite happy with when I had the Jeep, but gawd, it's such a hassle to have it in the cargo, take it out and put it back in at the end of the trail, when all you want to do is get to a bed and fall asleep The "integrated" part costs more to me than the money I'll spend on it.

What integrated (or, rather, integrable?) compressors worth attention are out there?

Old 06-22-2024, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

As far as the air compressor, for the p300 I think it makes sense but if you have the p400 I would do the Saltek ARB twin compressor. The only reason I don't want to do it for my p300 is you have to move coolant lines and that freaks me out if I have any type of coolant or overheating issues. I worry they would blame it on the moved lines. With the p400 it's a better compressor and plug-n-play from my understanding.

Old 06-22-2024, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadiable Paradox
That's exactly where I am, in the desert Fine dust quite similar to Moab that will get through air filters, I'd rather have less of it reach them to begin with.

That's what scares me sleepless. If installing the part involves drilling a body member, and they botch it... they will never tell me, and I'll find out years if not decades later when the effects of that spread beyond repair (and, of course, beyond warranty, and, of course, "we didn't do it").

From the docs I read, I remember that it's not just the undershield that is affected but there are more front end reinforcements.

I already have a portable compressor I was quite happy with when I had the Jeep, but gawd, it's such a hassle to have it in the cargo, take it out and put it back in at the end of the trail, when all you want to do is get to a bed and fall asleep The "integrated" part costs more to me than the money I'll spend on it.

What integrated (or, rather, integrable?) compressors worth attention are out there?
RAI seems like it would be useful for you. There are also two snorkel options now. Bravo and NDM offer a plastic and steel one respectively. Watertight seal to air-box.

Yes the front under-shield comes with a beefier cross member too. I didn't have to replace that part. Just the plate which i got from a breakers yard. As a stand alone item I think it was/is reasonable value. Now that they've bundled into the front expedition something or other. Essentially some slightly different front plastic bits and a velcro attached plastic front I'd pass. Price wise north of $2500 there are much better steel front bumpers for similar. Far better IMO.

An integrated compressor is very nice to have. ARB would be my choice. You can always un-integrate it down the line when you sell. Bullet proof reliable kit with some easy ways to integrate it. Airing up with folks who have the LR integrated compressor: my bog-standard, ARB in a tool-box, single cycle compressor is faster.

Old 08-28-2024, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel

Originally Posted by Huc
For warranty purposes - I had the dealer install all of the options you noted. It was equally helpful with respect to windshield replacement glass claims. Our State Farm glass coverage covers the additional costs to remove the Raised Air Intake (RAI) and reinstall as it was part of the original vehicle purchase [Edit: I do have to pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement]. That's worth double checking should it affect your insurance windshield coverage. I don't recall itemized cost but it was enough to make me be glad I asked the question ahead of time!

Overall, I agree (RAI) value is certainly subjective to driving conditions. Given the dusty conditions we encounter regularly here in many area of Colorado, and Utah, I've found the RAI very helpful in that regard. I fondly (#sarcasm ) asking the dealer to change the Air Filter at the first service (±22K). Asking them if they replaced the Air Filter - they said it's "not necessary & not part of routine schedule so wasn't checked", I went home and checked it, a flashlight couldn't push through. 'Nuff said... local conditions and common sense should prevail. Related, I'm often asked what I carry in the exterior lunch box and it's: cabin air filter + engine air filter + engine oil + 50/50 bottle of premixed engine coolant + assorted odds and sods like gloves, rags, etc.. Well, that and I have a pick and pluck foam insert I've cobbled together for when I choose to back libations and proper glasses for events :-D

The front under shield I had installed by a trusted third party vendor along with rock rails.
I'm getting the windshield replaced on my 2020 defender 110 and I have the snorkel. I was also concerned about the fine dust on Southern Utah trails. I regret getting the snorkel because it has to be removed in order to replace the windshield. To remove the snorkel the door has to be removed at a $900 cost. So I won't be having the snorkel put back on.

Quick Reply: Which options to configure in, and which to buy elsewhere?