2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering another Defender - What exactly do you get with the X model?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 06:37 AM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Ordering another Defender - What exactly do you get with the X model?

With used car pricing being the way it is, I’ve been toying with the idea of selling my 2021 HSE X-Dynamic and ordering another Defender to replace it. This would all hinge on being able to spec and order one without a markup. I understand that the HSE model is no longer in the lineup and I’ve build several SE’s to as close as I can spec to my current set up. However, every time I build a X the price is $8,000ish more than the SE that’s spec’d similarly.

For reference my 2021 has the upgraded Windsor leather with the textile seat surrounds, all off road packages and towing. Basically everything but the cold climate package because I don’t care for, or need, a heated windshield. The 2023 SE I’ve built is the same (interior upgraded to the X leather options, convenience packs and off road packages selected). So what else comes with the X that justifies the additional premium?

Not sure if I’ll actually go through with the deal or not. At this point I’m on the list to order (not financially obligated yet) and have been told it’ll likely be December 2022 before it would be delivered. Taxes in South Carolina are minimal so I could potentially have owned my 2021 for two years and 25,000 miles for the price of $5-8,000. At least this is how it’s working out in my optimistic head…

Old 04-10-2022, 07:00 AM
Mudding

Is the Clearsight mirror only included on the X model and up now? There are some other minor trim ‘upgrades/differences’ between the SE and X. Just trying to understand what bigger options are forfeited with the SE that I’m not aware of. And before someone says to ask the dealer, I’ve found too often in the past that I’m more knowledgeable than most sales reps when it comes to their models. Perhaps that’s the curse with being an enthusiast.

For reference here’s a comparison of the few models I’ve built at this point:

Old 04-10-2022, 10:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

I'm very curious about this as well and want to do it to get a different exterior color combo. Not as much "what comes with the packages" but what just isn't available anymore.

I currently have X-Dynamic, HSE with Clearsight, fridge, large screen, digital cluster, air suspension, etc. etc.

I would absolutely not want to give up Clearsight, the digital gauges, or the large screen. I've also seen rumors that rear soft-close is going away.

Any real definite info on availability of HUD, Clearsight, large screen, and digital gauge cluster?

​​​​​

Old 04-10-2022, 10:28 AM
Pro Wrench

This is the X package:

*No thanks on the black hood, especially with Carpathian, I much prefer Robustec. Orange calipers seemed obnoxious in person. Smoked tail lights are "meh" to me on Carpathian as well.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 04-10-2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

With the X you get everything except the V8 engine ... basically. Still a few option boxes you can tick but it's the highest spec I think in NA other than V8.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,294 Likes on 948 Posts

I like the l'orange tow hooks and red calipers on the X. But then I also like white letters on tyre-sidewalls so my opinion is questionable at best.

Does the X come with a clear protective coating on the front? Met a bloke with an X who had that. He may have done that himself as his rig was tricked out with a lot of cool stuff.

I've picked up a few stone chips on the front so don't worry about that anymore. I can see the appeal though.

Seems like you get a lot with the X.

X-dynamic is a completely redundant trim to my eye.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
This is the X package:

*No thanks on the black hood, especially with Carpathian, I much prefer Robustec. Orange calipers seemed obnoxious in person. Smoked tail lights are "meh" to me on Carpathian as well.

I suppose the point I’m trying to make is I can option most (if not all) of these options into the X-Dynamic. I get that the X has a few cosmetic options not available on the lower end modes.

When I ordered my HSE the SE wouldn’t allow you to option in the nicer seats, upgraded stereo, and a few other options. The X at the time came with the skid plate as standard.

I use the Clearsight mirror fairly frequently, and if the digital dash is limited to the X then that’s another thing. Otherwise it appears I get everything I want just optioning the X-Dynamic. At one point I read about 18 way adjustable seats but I don’t see them in the available options for either model.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by 4Corsa
I suppose the point I’m trying to make is I can option most (if not all) of these options into the X-Dynamic. I get that the X has a few cosmetic options not available on the lower end modes.

When I ordered my HSE the SE wouldn’t allow you to option in the nicer seats, upgraded stereo, and a few other options. The X at the time came with the skid plate as standard.

I use the Clearsight mirror fairly frequently, and if the digital dash is limited to the X then that’s another thing. Otherwise it appears I get everything I want just optioning the X-Dynamic. At one point I read about 18 way adjustable seats but I don’t see them in the available options for either model.
I think we're thinking the same thing but I didn't really articulate it well. That's what I did when I ordered my '22. It worked out really well. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem possible again at this time. The SE seems stripped out and a few options I wouldn't want to give up are just not available.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

@4Corsa - The US Website is absolute CRAP to try to find anything. It is a gorgeous, immersive site that is visually well done. But if you want to get to hard information, good luck. For instance, you can't even get the MY2023 brochure any longer for the Defender. In fact, the vehicle doesn't even show up. What you want are the Options & Buyers guides. I have the complete collections for MY22 and earlier, but still working on the MY23. @bakerman posted a few screen shots from it, but I haven't seen a link.

The options for the X and the SE should be "roughly" the same from MY23 to MY22, so if you want a MY22 version, here goes: (First Attachment)

Here's the Options for the MY23 so it should give you details, but not the "voice over". (Second Attachment)

Pro-Tip: For each MY (or at least YOUR MY), you should acquire the Brochure (used to be available on the LR site); Order Guide and the Specs & Price. Those three docs will tell you EVERYTHING you want to know. Well, the fourth I would get for an owned vehicle is the PRINTED copy of the Owner's manual. There is more in there than in the iManual and EVERYONE will admit that the Search makes it TOO tough to find anything.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
22MY Defender Order Guide.pdf (12.73 MB, 134 views)
File Type: pdf

Last edited by GrouseK9; 04-11-2022 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mopadzi (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 12:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@4Corsa - The US Website is absolute CRAP to try to find anything. It is a gorgeous, immersive site that is visually well done. But if you want to get to hard information, good luck. For instance, you can't even get the MY2023 brochure any longer for the Defender. In fact, the vehicle doesn't even show up. What you want are the Options & Buyers guides. I have the complete collections for MY22 and earlier, but still working on the MY23. @bakerman posted a few screen shots from it, but I haven't seen a link.

The options for the X and the SE should be "roughly" the same from MY23 to MY22, so if you want a MY22 version, here goes: (First Attachment)

Here's the Options for the MY23 so it should give you details, but not the "voice over". (Second Attachment)

Pro-Tip: For each MY (or at least YOUR MY), you should acquire the Brochure (used to be available on the LR site); Order Guide and the Specs & Price. Those three docs will tell you EVERYTHING you want to know. Well, the fourth I would get for an owned vehicle is the PRINTED copy of the Owner's manual. There is more in there than in the iManual and EVERYONE will admit that the Search makes it TOO tough to find anything.
This is great information. I have the digital Defender brochure for my model year, glad I downloaded it while it was available. The Options and Buyers guide for 2023 models would be wonderful. Would be nice if they were easier to find as answers just about any questions when comparing models.

Quick Reply: Ordering another Defender - What exactly do you get with the X model?