2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which (Defender 2) model do you own?
P300 (turbo 4-cyl)
45.45%
P400 (turbo 6-cyl)
54.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Owners Poll - P300 vs P400

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 05:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Owners Poll - P300 vs P400

As I wait for my 2022 Defender order to be placed (and also for the new 2022MY configurator to go live on Landrover.com), I continue to waffle on my decision to go P300. With that in mind, I thought it would be interesting to poll how many owners on here have P300 vs P400.

Please only vote if you are a current owner. I may create another poll for folks who are considering or have pending orders.

Thanks!
Ed

Last edited by RedAustinIX; 02-20-2021 at 05:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tnt_nz (11-04-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

For me, the biggest factor was simply that for the last 7 years I was used to driving a 375 HP V8 LR4 that I loved. The P400 has very similar power without the V8 growl. I'm really happy with my decision. If you are coming from a less powerful vehicle, the P300 may be a perfect fit for you.

tnt_nz (11-04-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 12:34 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm guessing this thread might get a lot of views over time as folks do their research. No matter what you read here, I encourage anyone considering a Defender to test drive the vehicle before you buy it. So much is personal, and you'll see opinions on any side of any issue in these forums. There is no objectively wrong answer on any particular option that the manufacturer offers -- the only thing that matters in the end is what works for you.

I didn't want to go through the order process and found a dealer stock P300 that I loved. On paper, I never would have expected the P300 to be enough power. It felt great on the road during a test drive, and I haven't regretted it. I don't tow anything -- if you do.... just get the P400. I don't rock crawl or do highly technical offroading -- if you do... just the get the P400. I don't have elevation concerns on the East Coast -- if you do... just get the P400. If you're an aggressive highway weaver or love passing folks on 2 lane roads with questionable passing openings... just get the P400. If the abstract concept of horsepower is important to you -- either for peace of mind or bragging rights -- just get the P400. Beyond these more aggressive power usage scenarios.... you'll be more than fine.

One thing that I've always appreciated about LR vehicles is the Sport mode. I love that Sport is instantly available with quick tap left of the shifter in the Defender (better than older LR rotary gear shifter, which are still way better than other systems where you need to cycle through a variety of settings like how Terrain Response works just to get to Sport) . I love that the vehicle dynamics don't get all jacked up and overly revvy or firm. I use Sport for brief periods when driving more aggressively -- e.g., a quick highway pass, a quick intersection jump. You get a little more oomph without the vehicle feeling all jittery and without any laggy displays to toggle. I think you could drive in this mode full-time and actually like it a lot. If you never want to think about engaging Sport mode... just get the P400.

The following 8 users liked this post by patpatriot6:
angelboing (02-22-2021), Freemey (02-21-2021), Iceman153 (02-22-2021), Moretti (02-20-2021), PatriotDefender (02-22-2021), TCole (02-20-2021), tnt_nz (11-04-2021), TrioLRowner (02-21-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2021, 05:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I literally just walked in the door with my 2021 p300. We flew to Raliegh, bought it off the lot, dropped her at the airport in Charlotte on the way back, then drove it back to New Orleans through the night. First new vehicle since 1987. Came from 2007 Volvo XC 90 V8 AWD (216k), loved the Volvo. Never a problem with it. Anyway, the p300 felt really good on the highway, quicker than the Volvo and a lot quieter. I was skeptical of the 4 cyl turbo, but everything I've read said the engine was "adequate," I felt it was more than adequate. The mountains/hills of the Carolina's were a good test. Drove the first tank without cruise control, didn't push it hard at all, 70 - 80mph, stopped to get gas with a quarter tank left at about 292 miles. 2nd stint was cruise control 77, 3/4 tank was 269(?) but when I got to the red tick (1/8 tank) was 318. I'm guessing terrain and weather. (no roof rack yet). I didn't stomp on the accelerator, but had no trouble passing, even up hill when I was on the throttle. When I hit the resume button on cruise, the car seemed to respond much quicker than it did to my foot. Anyway, I love it. Have a tee time at 11, so I'm going to sleep a little.

The following 3 users liked this post by brydup:
angelboing (02-22-2021), PatriotDefender (02-22-2021), tnt_nz (11-04-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
I'm guessing this thread might get a lot of views over time as folks do their research. No matter what you read here, I encourage anyone considering a Defender to test drive the vehicle before you buy it. So much is personal, and you'll see opinions on any side of any issue in these forums. There is no objectively wrong answer on any particular option that the manufacturer offers -- the only thing that matters in the end is what works for you.

I didn't want to go through the order process and found a dealer stock P300 that I loved. On paper, I never would have expected the P300 to be enough power. It felt great on the road during a test drive, and I haven't regretted it. I don't tow anything -- if you do.... just get the P400. I don't rock crawl or do highly technical offroading -- if you do... just the get the P400. I don't have elevation concerns on the East Coast -- if you do... just get the P400. If you're an aggressive highway weaver or love passing folks on 2 lane roads with questionable passing openings... just get the P400. If the abstract concept of horsepower is important to you -- either for peace of mind or bragging rights -- just get the P400. Beyond these more aggressive power usage scenarios.... you'll be more than fine.

One thing that I've always appreciated about LR vehicles is the Sport mode. I love that Sport is instantly available with quick tap left of the shifter in the Defender (better than older LR rotary gear shifter, which are still way better than other systems where you need to cycle through a variety of settings like how Terrain Response works just to get to Sport) . I love that the vehicle dynamics don't get all jacked up and overly revvy or firm. I use Sport for brief periods when driving more aggressively -- e.g., a quick highway pass, a quick intersection jump. You get a little more oomph without the vehicle feeling all jittery and without any laggy displays to toggle. I think you could drive in this mode full-time and actually like it a lot. If you never want to think about engaging Sport mode... just get the P400.
I love patpatriots6 's write up. Entertaining and right on !

The petrol engine choice really makes the 110 Defender two different vehicles -- one a zoom zoom machine and one a stately cruiser. The price difference tests every buyer to make a choice of what they need (or want ). I too am very happy with the P300 choice.

But, its not the one I would have made two decades ago .... a right time for everything. Enjoy!

Old 02-21-2021, 08:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

P400....

Old 02-21-2021, 09:40 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Yikes- everyone is right-last chance for us to own a nice petrol engine I am afraid. I have a P300 which I thought about a lot. It is truly more than adequate over the mountain passes with two and luggage here in Washington State. It is really composed around town or for short drives to the big city. Because it is lighter and still has quite a bit of torque developed at around 1500 rpm it should be just fine in more challenging off road situations.

Both would be fine but I cannot imagine needing any more zoom especially if in Sport mode. If I was pushing the tow limits it would have been easy choice for P400 but I am not.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

Just drove from Seattle to the Oregon Coast and back this weekend. It was our first major road trip and the P300 was perfect, actually better than I even imagine. JARVIS was loaded with two adults, a toddler, two 40 pound dogs, luggage, a cooler, roof rack with a Roam storage box. Needless to say, the Defender was packed. On the trip down, we average 18.5 mpg and back home we averaged 19 mpg. The mpg was on low side but considering the roof rack, the storage box, rolling terrain, and the heavy winds it would was great.

The best part was on a 3-mile climb out of a valley. Line of cars behind a slow car just tapped the gas and the Defender took off. Next thing you know we had passed everybody without any sort of strain from the engine. I did shave about 3 MPG off the average but made them back on the downside.

The wind sound wasn't bad, kept the basic stereo at 15 and got some wind noise. I also do NOT have the sunroof.

Freemey (02-23-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:29 AM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
Just drove from Seattle to the Oregon Coast and back this weekend. It was our first major road trip and the P300 was perfect, actually better than I even imagine. JARVIS was loaded with two adults, a toddler, two 40 pound dogs, luggage, a cooler, roof rack with a Roam storage box. Needless to say, the Defender was packed. On the trip down, we average 18.5 mpg and back home we averaged 19 mpg. The mpg was on low side but considering the roof rack, the storage box, rolling terrain, and the heavy winds it would was great.

The best part was on a 3-mile climb out of a valley. Line of cars behind a slow car just tapped the gas and the Defender took off. Next thing you know we had passed everybody without any sort of strain from the engine. I did shave about 3 MPG off the average but made them back on the downside.

The wind sound wasn't bad, kept the basic stereo at 15 and got some wind noise. I also do NOT have the sunroof.
I'm at altitude, and my take has always been that the turbo REALLY helps with dealing with it. Means the P300 shouldn't suck wind (as it were) even up here at 5000'. Certainly didn't seem to on my test drive; it got up and went as much as I'd expect so big a truck -- especially after I had driven a 1987 K5 Blazer for a while.

Freemey (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 02:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Either engine has plenty of power to haul just the truck itself up and over anything.

If you want to tow, then the p400 gives you a nice cushion of extra power.

If it’s a daily driver and you like to drive fast, again the p400 is probably better.

For purely off-road performance, I’d think the p300 might have a slight edge... more than enough power, and lighter weight. Not to mention 18’s out of the box with no mods.

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 02-23-2021 at 02:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Owners Poll - P300 vs P400