Sponsored by:

P300 vs P400 at altitude

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by evomind
Nice....
I like em all as well and have owned many of them.

2 Moto Guccis?
I almost bought the MDX21 but the prices nowadays got out of hand.
I like the Audice or whatever its called.

What are the MG like to ride?
I guess we've fully hijacked this thread lol.

I first found Guzzi nearly 2 decades ago. I spent most of my 20's on Harleys and BMWs. I really felt at home on the Harleys ergonomically but also liked the air-cooled/shaft drive BMWs. When I found Guzzi I realized it was like the red-headed bastard step-child of a Harley and a BMW.

Guzzis have 90° V-twin which I find more visceral than the BMW Boxer twins, yet rev more freely and are more naturally balanced than the 45° Harley.

The Guzzis offered a shaft drive and excellent Brembo brakes long before Harley did.

Ironically my first Guzzi was a 2000 California Jackal that basically had the same Weber-Marelli EFI system of my first EFI Harley (a 1996 Road King I picked up new and rode all over the country in my 20's). The two were so similar a few parts, like the TPS, were interchangeable. Both ran flawless, though open-loop only. Both were great bikes and reminded me of each other, though the Jackal was ~100# smaller/lighter, maybe closer to a Harley Dyna in chassis size.

Our two current Guzzis are V7 smallblocks - one Heron head (first production run of the single-throttle body models) and one Hemi-head (first production run of Hemis). They are simple 750cc air-cooled, 2V/cylinder pushrod twins. I was attracted to them as something smaller, lighter, more basic. They remind me of what the BMW Airhead line might have become if they'd just modernized the motor with EFI and added things like ABS instead of going/growing to whole new chassis and engine designs. They are small and light and relatively slow, but are a blast to ride especially in the twisties as you can wring their necks without risking life and limb.

By contrast the Ducati is also a small and simple air-cooled 2V desmo twin (696 Monster) and it my wife's first love/first choice when she rides. I love it, mostly from afar, as it's a little lighter and twice the hp of the Guzzis and too easy for me to misbehave on.

The Harley is a Police bike that was never put into service. It is the last year of the TC motors, but equipped with electronically linked Brembos. It is a bit of beast size-wise, but that disappears on the road and is the first choice if I need/want to be a couple of states away in short time. But I don't ride like that enough these days (young busy family) and it's currently on the sales block. If it sells I'll enjoy the smaller fleet for a while and buy another (maybe slightly smaller one) someday again in the future. If it doesn't sell, I'll continue to enjoy it when time allows.

Before I picked up that Harley on a whim one day 5 years ago (like literally stopped at the dealer for something and had to run home for me check book) I had actually spent a few years looking at various stripped touring bike options, including the Guzzi Cali 1400s which were fun enough to ride. But I wasn't happy with some of the mechanical choices they made, and the chassis was cartoonishly large with very poor choices of accessories/options etc. The one thing you have to hand Harley is that if you can dream it, someone else already has and it is available.

< / Hijack >

Old 10-31-2022, 07:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 29 Posts

Went ahead and ordered a P300 today. Took a 110 for a relatively long test ride in Denver. No issues merging onto interstate and seemed to have plenty of power for what I'm after. I'm thinking the difference in performance between the 90 (which I ordered) and the 110 I drove will somewhat equal the difference attributable to elevation.

Now the wait starts. Now I'm wishing I would have ordered 6 months ago

Old 11-02-2022, 02:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Its so good to hear that the p300 is sufficient for highway cruising.
I would like the SE model for the engine and some of the other goodies, but the extra bag of cash required pushes the cost out of my comfort zone.
I have to wait till Feb to order though so I can still change my mind.
LOL

Old 11-02-2022, 02:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I just got the Indian and had the 116 kit installed. Last month a guy in an old Prius was kind enough to pull out right in front of me and I ran into him. Nothing I could do. His fault.
If not for a quality helmet I wouldn't be here right now.
That said I have a broken wrist and a rebuilt ankle.
Hopefully they total out the bike. I dont want it back....Bad juju.
Gorgeous bike and a better ride (in my opinion) than my previous Road Glide Special.

The Diavel Carbon is one of my favorite bikes Ive owned. Just raw enough but comfortable enough as well.
Im thinking replacing the Indian with a Rocket TFC.

Sorry for the highjack but its still a great thread with pics!

Old 11-02-2022, 06:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by evomind

I just got the Indian and had the 116 kit installed. Last month a guy in an old Prius was kind enough to pull out right in front of me and I ran into him. Nothing I could do. His fault.
If not for a quality helmet I wouldn't be here right now.
That said I have a broken wrist and a rebuilt ankle.
Hopefully they total out the bike. I dont want it back....Bad juju.
Gorgeous bike and a better ride (in my opinion) than my previous Road Glide Special.

The Diavel Carbon is one of my favorite bikes Ive owned. Just raw enough but comfortable enough as well.
Im thinking replacing the Indian with a Rocket TFC.

Sorry for the highjack but its still a great thread with pics!
I was gonna like the post, but I can't like the wreck. Heal up and ride safe.