Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P400 Towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 08:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default P400 Towing

I’m expecting delivery of my P400 in Feb/March timeframe and was hoping to get some feedback of anyone whose towed with it.

We plan on towing a 25’ travel trailer that weighs roughly 5k lbs fully loaded. The manual recommends against using a weight distribution hitch (WDH) but it’s worked great for us on our other tow vehicle - X5 M50i, to counteract sway. Has anyone towed something similar with/without a WDH with their P400? Any thoughts on why LR would recommend against using one?

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2020, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

scroll through the different post, Triorover has posted his experience towing with his P400.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks. I read that but don’t recall anything specific to towing with and without a weight distribution hitch. Was hoping for insights in that. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2020, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

My LR4 also recommended avoiding a weight distribution hitch, but we used it, and it worked well for 10 years towing 1 23' single axle travel trailer, and at the end a 26' 2 axle travel trailer. The first time we towed with the Defender we continued to use the the weight distribution hitch, like you, I think it makes a difference in regards to sway. I'm not certain how well the BMW tows, but both Rovers tow extremely well particularly with the towing pack. The P400 easily accelerated to 75MPH, I set the cruise and it never seemed to struggle, not did I ever feel any hint of sway (I assume without my hitch there would have at least been some). The only down side was the mileage, the first 100 miles we only achieved 6MPG, I did turn it to "Eco" mode afterwards and it seemed to do much better, but as it was mixed driving afterward I don't know the actual MPG.

So to answer your question I believe in using a weight distribution hitch and use it on my Defender, just as I did my LR4 before. With a trailer of 5000lbs I don't think you'll notice any performance issues putting the car into ECO mode, but I do believe it will help gas mileage.

The following users liked this post:
LR4USN (12-05-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Great, thanks for the feedback!

AZTXrad (07-14-2021)
Old 12-04-2020, 03:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

I believe it is not necessary to use a weight distribution hitch on a JLR product with active air suspension, because the vehicle adjusts the suspension force in real-time based on what is necessary to maintain a level, controllable ride. The rear axle is designed to carry this load and the braking capability and computer logic of the vehicle is designed to have the rear axle under a much heavier load than the front.

The only theoretical concern one might contemplate is the effect of a weight distribution hitch is to shift weight off the tongue to the other axles in the vehicle and the trailer. Those transferred weights must remain within the specifications of each axle, the overall gross vehicle weight, the ratio of tongue weight to trailer weight, the overall trailer weight and the combined vehicle and trailer weight. I think the JLR engineers might be concerned that under a weight distribution hitch the front axle may be either under or over - loaded because of the weight re-distribution.

in any case, I suspect they might say that if the weights are within specification and the air suspension can happily level the vehicle, all is fine.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 12-04-2020 at 04:32 PM.
GavinC (03-21-2022)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I towed this disco 100 miles in my p400 and it was awesome. Truck had plenty to give and felt very sure of itself. Didn’t feel twitchy at all doing 70 on the way home

The following 2 users liked this post by turf63:
Dewman7770 (12-07-2020), TrioLRowner (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

If you search the web for weight distribution hitch and unibody vehicles, you’ll find many an explanation as to why it’s not recommended. If the Defender manual says not to use one, it’s probably for the same reasons other unibody vehicles come with the same guidance. Clearly a use at your own risk type of situation.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks all for you thoughts and perspective. Being an engineer myself, I understand the stress a WDH applies to a unibody; however some unibody vehicles do allow the use. In the manual, it states that they are “not recommended” instead of “not permitted”; I was wondering if anyone had seen any formal communication from LR strictly not to use a WDH on with the new Defender. I’m assuming the issue is with the sway control of the WDH preventing the Defender’s Trailer Stability Control from fully operating. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget that you will have to install your own brake controller. Surprisingly the tow package does not come with a controller. Search this forum and you will see a Redarc controller installation that is pretty much plug & play. A project that I need to do in the near future.

DonMitsu (12-08-2020)

Quick Reply: P400 Towing