Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint protectant and xpel

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Default paint protectant and xpel

have you guys applied a ppf film in your defender? I'm planning to apply a face xpel ppf. any particular ceramic brand? dealer installed the NSD paint and interior protection already any experience with it?

Old 03-13-2021, 06:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xpel

I just had the full front wrapped in xpel last week (fenders, bumper, full hood, and mirrors) plus the door sills. Had it done locally (not at the dealer). All I can say is that it looks great (I had them take the D E F E N D E R letters off for a clean install and may or may not put back), time will tell how it functions.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:05 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by skokes
I just had the full front wrapped in xpel last week (fenders, bumper, full hood, and mirrors) plus the door sills. Had it done locally (not at the dealer). All I can say is that it looks great (I had them take the D E F E N D E R letters off for a clean install and may or may not put back), time will tell how it functions.
I'm doing a precut for the defender letters.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:15 AM
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have mine fully wrapped and ceramic coated. well worth it for the peace of mind off road with branches dragging along the side of the truck. . only issues ive had is the film doesn't like to stick well to the satin finish plastic bumpers.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

What’s a typical cost for something like this? I’ve never even thought of it before, but this Landy is hugely expensive for me...

Old 03-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the whole truck done door sills down so that I could fight off trail whiskers etc. nothing on the back gate or the roof. modesta ceramic coatings on the wheels glass and the ppf and the whole thing cost me 5500. My guy was a smaller Indy and I’m kinda fighting with him over documentation related to proving it was expel ultimate (which I have my doubts whether he used that or not) but I’m happy with the outcome. Have them remove the defender badge and order a new one off powerful uk for like 25$ Makes the hood install way better than cutting around it.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by turf63
.........Makes the hood install way better than cutting around it.
I like the ppf around the defender. If it's computer cut, it is wider. At least I know they're legit with computer cutter vs hand cut.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:34 PM
Winching

My partial front face with mirrors, grille, bumper, hood is $950.00. Not sure if I would go full fender, full hood. Driving usually just exposes the front. My 2015 Escalade platinum with 247,000 highway miles is still perfect!

Old 03-13-2021, 02:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Geez....Theses people have become very expensive.
10 years ago I had my whole H1 done except roof and he charged me 1200 bucks.
Same thing with an H2, I think he charged 500.
The H1 is much harder to do because of the topography of the body panels.
I had found a guy who had a little shop. Maybe he really needed the money, idk but this service used to be reasonable now its way up there.
My guy custom cut everything by hand and was done in about 4 hours.
Maybe im in the wrong business.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
I like the ppf around the defender. If it's computer cut, it is wider. At least I know they're legit with computer cutter vs hand cut.
If you haven't had it done yet. I'd recommend pulling the letters and reinstalling them after the film is installed. I had XPEL installed and they did the "computer cut" think and there are pretty wide areas around the letters that are unprotected. Suspect that the letter cutouts are OK on the pre-install film, but the pulling and pushing of the install stretches the film.

I'm probably going to take it back to the installer and have him do it the other way once the weather clears up,

Quick Reply: paint protectant and xpel