Sponsored by:

Parking Garage | Height Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Parking Garage | Height Issues?

Hi All,

I just learned that my dealer will be able to submit my order next week. I am totally undecided on my spec in terms of aesthetics, but that's another story. My question today is around air suspension and whether it is essential for access to garages. I'll be straightforward and say that I do not want air suspension; my preference is coils. That said, I wonder how inconvenient that would make the car with regard to usability - train station, city garages, mall, etc.

My wife's '16 LR4 seems to be pretty similar in height, and I do lower it into access mode in many garages, mostly because I'm not actually certain how much clearance there typically is (even despite the height restriction signs at the entrance of most garages... not sure how accurate that really is with ramp angles and surface joists, and I do think it's pretty tight in many instances). My W463 G500 would routinely hit the roof, and it was as unpleasant as it sounds.

So, anybody with coils on a 110 who has had issues with clearance? Or for that matter, issues with air when not at access height?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 09-09-2021, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

My wife was volunteering for something down at the Philly airport the other week. She said when she got the parking garage that signs showed something really low like max clearance of 6'6" or something like that. She locked the air suspension in full low and crept into the garage saying it looked like there was less than an inch clearance.

The following users liked this post:
TheJMG (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 12:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Many years ago, I drove my vehicle into a parking garage and after hearing a metal shearing death of a bicycle did I remember it was up there. Years later another bike on my roof took out every round decorative light bulb surrounding the roof edge of a Bojangles Drive-thru. Since those tuition payments, I am WELL educated on clearance in parking decks, drive thru's, tunnels, garages, etc.

I have never had any challenges with my Defender. Now, I pay CLOSE attention. Nothing have I entered come close to 77.4" (6' 5.4"). Sorry, don't have that in mm. Regardless, haven't had an issue to date. I am really sure that there are some places that it is not low enough, but haven't had the problems yet. My personal thoughts are if the difference between parking is the couple inches between coil & air, you likely need a different vehicle. There will be locations that challenge it. To me, none of those yet and I HIGHLY recommend you get a Defender.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
angelboing (09-09-2021), TheJMG (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
My wife was volunteering for something down at the Philly airport the other week. She said when she got the parking garage that signs showed something really low like max clearance of 6'6" or something like that. She locked the air suspension in full low and crept into the garage saying it looked like there was less than an inch clearance.
According to Land Rover, the Defender height is 6' 5.4 inches, but it really doesn't specify if that's in normal or access height. I have a parking deck at work that lists the clearance at 6'6" and so far I've just been parking on top instead of underneath because I'm afraid I won't quite fit. One of these days I'll take the time to back up to the opening and get out to look, since the tallest part is the radio/satellite/camera fin on the top rear.

The following 2 users liked this post by D-Fens:
Kev M (09-09-2021), TheJMG (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 01:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks. I'm actually in the PHL burbs. I'm guessing your wife is a Dr/nurse. There's a Pangea 110 by us at the beach, great color!

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Many years ago, I drove my vehicle into a parking garage and after hearing a metal shearing death of a bicycle did I remember it was up there. Years later another bike on my roof took out every round decorative light bulb surrounding the roof edge of a Bojangles Drive-thru. Since those tuition payments, I am WELL educated on clearance in parking decks, drive thru's, tunnels, garages, etc.

I have never had any challenges with my Defender. Now, I pay CLOSE attention. Nothing have I entered come close to 77.4" (6' 5.4"). Sorry, don't have that in mm. Regardless, haven't had an issue to date. I am really sure that there are some places that it is not low enough, but haven't had the problems yet. My personal thoughts are if the difference between parking is the couple inches between coil & air, you likely need a different vehicle. There will be locations that challenge it. To me, none of those yet and I HIGHLY recommend you get a Defender.
Pragmatic and great point.

Last edited by TheJMG; 09-09-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Kev M (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 01:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
...Years later another bike on my roof took out every round decorative light bulb surrounding the roof edge of a Bojangles Drive-thru.
Who among us hasn't had a brush with the law or two at a Bojangles?

GrouseK9 (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Following this thread as the parking garage at BDL is 6'8" max. I have ordered the 110 with the expedition rack and figured I may be parking in the surface lot when I have to fly out of there. Should be fine at PVD where the height limit is a little more reasonable 7'2".

Takes me back to when I drove a 2500 4x4 suburban with racks and was rarely able to fit into a parking garage.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
Following this thread as the parking garage at BDL is 6'8" max. I have ordered the 110 with the expedition rack and figured I may be parking in the surface lot when I have to fly out of there. Should be fine at PVD where the height limit is a little more reasonable 7'2".

Takes me back to when I drove a 2500 4x4 suburban with racks and was rarely able to fit into a parking garage.
I'm kind of surprised those airport garages are so low. I usually find them to be some of the tallest!

The DC area has to be home of short parking garages. My old work garage was 6'7", but across the street there was one at 6'2". I saw a Range Rover once take some damage when they decided to ignore the sign.

There was also the garage across the river in Arlington that got progressively tighter. In a back section the clearance was posted to be 5'10". I wouldn't have even been able to stand up!

Old 09-09-2021, 11:06 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a 1 inch lift, expedition roof rack, 20inch rims and I can’t get into parking garages even with access height....

Old 11-29-2023, 02:18 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can verify that!

Quick Reply: Parking Garage | Height Issues?