Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking sensors firing at low speed for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 06:35 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default parking sensors firing at low speed for no reason

does this happen to anyone else? random parking sensor freak outs in traffic at low speed. there is an option to disable automatic parking sensor mode when maneuvering at low speed, which i expected would end this issue, but it has no effect.

anyone else experiencing this? extremely annoying to pull away from a stoplight with the radio volume up only to be deafened by the shrill piercing noise of a solid shriek from the front sensor saving me from nothing at all.

The following users liked this post:
LRDEF2LR (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 07:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ghosts!!!

But seriously, mine does all the time. I just thank it and ask it to calm down. Mine is especially egregious in rain/snow.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jackr86:
Elektrapops (06-29-2022), LRDEF2LR (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Wait, I thought that was the car wash needed warning!!

All joking aside, this happens to me every time I go for more than a few weeks without a car wash. The camera lens or possibly the bumper sensors are getting dirty and causing false positives in the depth sensing system. Maybe try cleaning them off and see if it gets better?

GrouseK9 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:21 PM
Drifting

not a question of cleaning. the sensors are sonar, and should be tuned to ignore rain, snow, dirt, and other environmental noise in favor of concrete objects with normal reflectivity.

LRDEF2LR (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

I believe that for the bumper sensors, but the camera will absolutely be affected by a dirty lens.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,157 Likes on 624 Posts

Fun fact: mine does this from time to time at traffic lights, sitting in my driveway area, etc.... and I can't figure out how to stop the beeping. Realized that if you hit the camera button, then top left of the main camera image, there's an icon that let's you mute it temporarily.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:26 PM
Drifting

sure, but i'm not aware of the camera playing a role there.

i suspect it's a faulty sensor or similar, but i was mostly curious if others have run into this. it's oddly transient, and will momentarily freak out, and disappear just as quickly. i would expect anything static (like a dirty lens) playing a role in that algorithm would behave the same way until addressed.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine kind of does this.
not when I am first in line, but when surrounded by cars.
I thought it was a legitimate alarm, other vehicles being too close.
not all the time, and only a quick beep then gone.

it goes bananas every time I go into my garage.
I thought similar scenario.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

In order of suspicion: 1. Clean the sensors. Yes, it's radar - radar doesn't do well thru mud. Or the dessicated carcass of some large flying insect (dragonfly, cicada, Florida mosquito, or some similar flying animal you struck). Some would consider my Defender absolutely filthy and I think it's way cleaner that usual. I love all those beautiful polished, ceramic coated, black Defenders. Mine's not treated that lovingly. 2. Sensor failure. Get it checked FAST. These beasts have pathetically short warranties. If it's the same sensor, corner, spot each time - this may be an easy one. I would likely attempt this on my own. 3. ECM, Controller fault. The "Oh F***" moment when you better have a warranty. Ditto bringing it in. Basically, if your vehicle is free of mud or insect exoskeletons, then your only hope is going to Service.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

You can turn it off in your settings. You can turn off the speaker in the screen when it pops up too.

Quick Reply: parking sensors firing at low speed for no reason