2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Permanently disable/mute parking sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 07:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Permanently disable/mute parking sensors?

I have a MY21 Defender and I’m having a problem with my parking sensors.

My vehicle is fitted with the genuine Land Rover Australian Spec bull bar in the front, as well as a WARN winch. I also have a front number plate mount installed on my winch fairlead because my state requires front license plates. In the back I have Maxtrax mounted horizontally over the rear spare using a GPFactor bracket.

All this to say that my parking sensors go nuts any time I put the vehicle in gear (drive or reverse) starting from park. The stuff I have mounted to my vehicle is tripping the proximity sensors and the vehicle doesn’t have any calibration option to teach the computer about the gear I have mounted.

Even though I can silence the parking sensor alarm every time it goes off, there doesn’t appear to be any way to disable/mute the alarm permanently. Every time I start the vehicle it forgets my mute setting on the parking sensor screen from the last time I turned it off.

I took the car to the dealer and they confirmed that the sensors are functioning normally, but that they will continue to beep at me unless I remove my add-ons - which I’m obviously not willing to do.

Is anyone else having a similar issue? Does anyone know of a way to disable or permanently mute the parking sensors?

Old 05-20-2021, 08:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Yep, a challenge.

I drove mine without the sensors connected, and it did not give off a buzzer, only a fault on the dashboard which goes away. So, an option is to unplug them.

I have my recovery boards mounted quite high on the spare -- just below the view of the clear view camera. They avoid the sensors.

For the front, I moved the sensors to be at the same height of the fairlead, but outboard. I am in a rear bumper only license plate state, fortunately. I thought about it and could not easily figure out how to mount a U.S. front plate. I would probably make it easily removable for winch use (but then it would cover the camera -- which I left in its original location).