Sponsored by:

Plastic Creaking Sound That Drives me Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 06:29 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Creaking Sound That Drives me Crazy

Dear LR Community,

I bought my new Defender 110 X D300 6 months ago.

After 8000 miles I have noticed strange plastic sound coming from right front passenger doors or B pillar.

Sound is most noticeable in these two scenarios:

1. Driving slowly on uneven road or going slowly over road dip.

2. When accelerating or breaking I hear short creak at the same place i mentioned above.

I tried to locate the sound and I have noticed right front passenger door hinge sound differently from all other doors but only when you give them short open/close swings. It sound like there is small but really small gap that I believe could potentially produce that sound in mentioned scenarios.

Hope someone with more experience knows how to solve this before I take it to the dealer.

p.s. I tried to use silicon lubricant but with no luck since I cant find the sound source.

Is it normal that big cars produce more interior creaking noise when driving on bumpy roads or i have some kind of OCD 😂

Thank you for your time

Old 06-07-2024, 07:14 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue as you - and found a post here that said they solved the problem by removing the handles mounted to the ceiling and cutting off the plastic tabs on either side and reattaching. That solved it for me too. I tried this after silicone on the door seals. Maybe this is your source. . .good luck.

The following users liked this post:
chpsk8 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 10:09 AM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Aki_0623
Dear LR Community,

I bought my new Defender 110 X D300 6 months ago.

After 8000 miles I have noticed strange plastic sound coming from right front passenger doors or B pillar.

Sound is most noticeable in these two scenarios:

1. Driving slowly on uneven road or going slowly over road dip.

2. When accelerating or breaking I hear short creak at the same place i mentioned above.

I tried to locate the sound and I have noticed right front passenger door hinge sound differently from all other doors but only when you give them short open/close swings. It sound like there is small but really small gap that I believe could potentially produce that sound in mentioned scenarios.

Hope someone with more experience knows how to solve this before I take it to the dealer.

p.s. I tried to use silicon lubricant but with no luck since I cant find the sound source.

Is it normal that big cars produce more interior creaking noise when driving on bumpy roads or i have some kind of OCD 😂

Thank you for your time
Since you say that the sound seems to be emanating from the right front passenger door hinge, have you tried putting a ratchet and socket on it and tightening it? Shortly after taking delivery of my ‘22 I felt a slight looseness in one of the door hinges and found that I was able to get a socket on it and tighten it slightly, eliminating the problem. Try that first, might be your problem also.

Old 06-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Mudding
Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by gasol1
I had the same issue as you - and found a post here that said they solved the problem by removing the handles mounted to the ceiling and cutting off the plastic tabs on either side and reattaching. That solved it for me too. I tried this after silicone on the door seals. Maybe this is your source. . .good luck.

I did this last year, it may have been my post you saw.

OP it's worth trying this first. It's super easy and takes 5 minutes. There are tabs on the grab handles that allows the grab handle to be press fit into the headliner. Then during assembly they slide the headliner in with the handles and other pieces like lights etc already mounted. The tabs rub on the headliner and make noise. I cut mine out after a month of listening and chasing sounds. It's silent now.

The following users liked this post:
lightning (06-09-2024)