2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you custom-order your Defender or buy off the dealer lot?
Custom-order / custom configuration
77.08%
I couldn't wait! I bought from what was available at the Land Rover dealer
22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Custom-configured vs Dealer stock

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Poll: Custom-configured vs Dealer stock

Given the large number of configuration options, I'm curious as to how many people custom-ordered their Defender versus buying from available dealer stock? Custom ordering gives you exactly what you want at the best price (not paying for options you don't need), but it's at the expense of long wait times. I have a custom order in now (since January), but admit I've been tempted to just give-in and buy something to enjoy now!

Old 02-21-2021, 09:15 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

with dealer stock you may or may not have some discounts. I ordered mine last year and I am happy with ALL the options I put in and some options the factory was not able to put in due to changes in packages. If you can wait, I would but if you see a fully optioned one in the dealer's lot I will take it.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I originally did a custom order at the beginning of January with the local dealer. After 4 weeks of them telling me it would be submitted “next week when we get an allocation”, I couldn’t wait any longer and just went shopping and found one that was almost exactly what I wanted. Only difference is it was an X-dynamic SE vs just an SE. I’m very happy with my decision.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

we were looking for a p300, steel wheels, green or blue with white roof, with off road pack, cold weather pack and towing pack and the jump seat. We were on the fence about the sunroof, because we wanted the roof rack, which pretty much blocks the sunroof. We found one with everything except the front-row jump seat (which we didn't find practical when we saw it) and the sunroof, so we just bought it. It has the interactive display.

Oh, one major bummer so far. We built one on the 2020 configurator when it first came out, and were sure the ClearSight camera was standard. We thought we had it, but alas, our 2021 doesn't have ClearSight.

If you can wait, I'd recommend custom ordering.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:10 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer stock = expensive mall cruiser.

I wanted a real off-road capable solution without most of the mall options, although I did add HUD and adaptive cruise control. An expensive build with winch and roof options but I love it.

Last edited by gwelland; 02-22-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:49 AM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brydup
we were looking for a p300, steel wheels, green or blue with white roof, with off road pack, cold weather pack and towing pack and the jump seat. We were on the fence about the sunroof, because we wanted the roof rack, which pretty much blocks the sunroof. We found one with everything except the front-row jump seat (which we didn't find practical when we saw it) and the sunroof, so we just bought it. It has the interactive display.

Oh, one major bummer so far. We built one on the 2020 configurator when it first came out, and were sure the ClearSight camera was standard. We thought we had it, but alas, our 2021 doesn't have ClearSight.

If you can wait, I'd recommend custom ordering.
wow. That’s pretty much my spec. Finding that on a lot is pretty awesome! I’ve got it in custom order.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

i spend HOURS looking at Land Rover's website and calling dealerships to make sure what was advertised was on the lot! But it was worth it. I love it, but we've never had a real off-roader, the learning curve is steep on the gadgetry.

One thing I hate that I didn't notice until last night: the car projects some laser thing on ground that says "Defender," it looks soooo stupid. We rented a Mustang convertible in Key West a couple years ago, and we laughed and laughed at the Mustang logo being projected by the doors.

Now we have it and I can't figure out how to turn it off.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah most of the stuff on the dealer lot are just really expensive pimp wagons if thats what you want.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:58 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gwelland
Dealer stock = expensive mall cruiser.

I wanted a real off-road capable solution without most of the mall options, although I did add HUD and adaptive cruise control. An expensive build with winch and roof options but I love it.
I did the same. All the dealer stock models that were close to what I wanted had 22" wheels or some junk that I just didn't want. I ended up ordering the HSE with off-road and towing packages with adaptive and heads up also.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:28 PM
Drifting
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Contrary to what some are saying here, there are a some “non-mall cruisers” that can be found on the lots. I found, last week, a defender exactly how I would have outfitted it if I had ordered. It is not easy, but takes some diligence. I drove 8 hours to pick up my defender because it is exactly what I wanted.

However, please note that dealer stock seems to be decreasing rapidly...at least for models that met my criteria.

The following users liked this post:
evomind (02-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Poll: Custom-configured vs Dealer stock