Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential buyer - question on reliability & service

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 10:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Potential buyer - question on reliability & service

I'm considering a new Defender 110 (p400). Alternatives include the new GX550 and a couple of other options.

I'd be all over the Defender, BUT here's my issue..I'm almost 4 hours from the nearest Land Rover dealer. Am I out of my mind for considering this? How has the Defender been in terms of requiring dealer service? I'd really like to hear from new Defender owners to figure out if I'd just be putting myself through the wringer by doing this.

Old 05-28-2024, 11:12 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts

After 4 years of ownership, we've gone back in for a recall (programming issue with the front sensor/camera, we never actually had an issue) we had a rear door that would stick, and the LED "Halo" DRL on the drivers side went out. That's less than once/year and all 3 times I did leave it over night, but they always had it back the next day. The maintenance I've done myself.

The following users liked this post:
jclaffee (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 12:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts

Complete list of issues or services I've had on my 2020 X below.... you can make your own determination if this is reliable. I think it's an incredibly good product.

...4 recalls
1) The grey colored taillights on my X were recalled for a problem
2) the headlight software needed to be updated (software update recall)
3) some PCV valve
4) a stop/start software recall

-- Heated steering wheel stopped heating
-- 2 oil changes at dealers @ 10k, 20K, the most recent one I did myself
-- changed engine air filter (I did myself this year)
-- changed brake fluid (at dealer at 20K service)

Nothing else. Except things I've broken off-roading.

The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
ba_ (05-28-2024), jclaffee (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 04:10 PM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

I had a turbo fail in the first ten thousand miles - was able to get home using limp home mode and it was replaced under warranty.

Other than that, I think there was one recall for a sticker placement. My Audi had 7 or 8 recalls in the same first 3 years of ownership.

Every fool on the internet will tell you that their uncle's sister's father in law had a range rover that exploded into flames after 4 miles of driving, but the reality of the L663 Defender is that it's more reliable than most new vehicles today. Especially if you actually follow the break in / run in instructions and don't do what people on this forum have done and drive off road within days of picking it up, or collect it from a dealer across the country and then drive it at 80+ mph for the first 2000 miles.

<<look at me jinxing myself, I'll probably walk outside to a smoldering pile of ashes tomorrow>>

The following 5 users liked this post by DoctorofRocks:
D110Xd (05-28-2024), Iceman153 (05-29-2024), Newbie01 (05-29-2024), PaulLR (05-29-2024), Termite (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

12K miles on my 2023 D90 P400. Had a coolant leak that was fixed in one day. Some interior squeaks, most I tracked down and fixed with felt. Otherwise nothing else. Broken in by the book, 3 oil/filter changes in 12k miles.

Old 05-28-2024, 06:27 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a 2022 Base model certified used with 17K miles.

- Nav wasn't working - required second visit to replace the whole unit under warranty once they could get the $3500 part.
- Rattling sound in suspension - loose tie rod. Easy fix to tighten, but required second visit to replace it since they felt it was worn. Also had to order the part.
- Changed the oil myself along with fixing a couple rattles in the interior.

Still four visits in first month of ownership. That said, it has been 100% reliable for the last six months and I love, love the car.

But to answer your question, I would not by a new car where the nearest dealer was four hours away. Used with a decent mechanic nearby, but not one under warranty.

Chris

Old 05-28-2024, 06:36 PM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

2020 110X bought at very end of 2020.

- Had key fob receiver relocation TSB done years back to improve fob usability...which did completely resolve the problem
- Last year had a check engine light. They did some emissions related update (or something like that?) and they also did a number of other updates I just hadn't bother to go in for, but none were causing any problems
- I do my own maintenance

33K miles now. I love the vehicle and would buy it again...or if they come out with a significant enough refresh/update I would get another one.

Old 05-28-2024, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

It's always a good idea to go with what you really want so that way there's no buyers remorse but IMO that's way too far from the dealership. I guess how far the other dealerships are would factor into the decision, I mean if everything is two or more hours away I suppose that's kind of different? I'm working full time and need loaners, I wouldn't go much more than an hour away, maybe a 90 minute drive at the most. Everyone has a different level of tolerance. I got tired of bringing mine in and I'm about 30 minutes away, just had too many things go wrong.

Last edited by Chief65; 05-28-2024 at 07:04 PM.
WAFOX (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 07:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

2022 D90 P300 bought used in 2023.

So here’s a little different perspective. I only had to take the car in twice but…….

First time it was in the shop for 2 months while they worked with Land Rover in England to troubleshoot a wiring issue. Ended up being bad harness.
Second was for water in the battery tray 2 weeks to troubleshoot. Ended up being a disconnected drain hose for AC.

Would that scare me off of a new one. Nope. Every car mfg has issues. At least with my Defender and previously my Jag F-Type (also considered a risk due to “poor quality” but only went in once in 6 years.) They have always given me a loaner. I don’t get that with my wife’s Bronco Sport which we bought new.

So yeah I really wanted to be in my Defender instead of a Range Rover Velar but not exactly a terrible place to be for 2 months. The second trip they gave me a D90 P400 so I got to see how much more I enjoy my 18s with air suspension. Also not a bad deal. As long as they will give you a loaner - which they should - then no worries. As far as I know Land Rover will give you a loaner even once it’s past warranty. I had a 98 Land Rover Discovery for 25 years and if I ever took that in got a loaner with that too.

Old 05-28-2024, 10:21 PM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

4.5k miles on my 24 110 xdynamic. No issues. Oil changed at 860 miles, planning again at 5k and every 5k afterwards. I bought instead of leasing and 5k OCI is the best preventative engine maintenance you can do on any vehicle. Early on, the defender had some issues, pretty much all of them due to immature software becoming confused and firing off warning lights. Along the way, we learned that low battery’s can also trigger alarms. JLR updated software fixed the false positives and you will change the battery every 2.5 years as preventative maintenance and you will probably be fine. Nobody can say more than that for any vehicle.

I had the same q’s as you and have no regrets. The p400 engine is mechanically sound, whereas the engine in Toyota’s new Tundra is blowing bearings for some owners.

The Defender isn’t a Range Rover parts bin, it’s a new design built in a different and new factory. It’s looking more reliable than the Range Rover lineup. Just don’t ask consumer reports, they are Toyota fanboys and hate domestic and European vehicles. Even with all of Toyota’s software and engine issues in their latest models, they are golden according to CR.

As others have said, take the negatives you hear from non owners with a grain of salt.

PaulLR (05-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Potential buyer - question on reliability & service