2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Stall issues (?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 03:32 PM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

The stalling effects only the P400 Hybrid Electric Defenders I assume?

Old 02-09-2022, 08:31 PM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Add me. Took delivery of my 2022 P400 X-Dynamic in January 2022 and it happened to me at 250miles on the car and again today with 980miles on the car. Does the body control module record this problem?

Old 02-10-2022, 08:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

When the light turns green and you go to press the gas while it's stopped, TAP the gas's pedal just enough to start the engine but not enough to release brake hold.

A couple of seconds later, once the engine has fully started, press the gas again to remove brake hold and go.

THis seems to not only be smoother on the restart but I've never had a stall since.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@_Allegedly - I've played around with this at stop signs, etc. Usually I'm like most folks and manually turn it off by hitting the button. But sometimes I forget. What I've noticed is that it doesn't really take the gas. I've just let off the brakes and it will start up. Seems logical because there's a lag between brake off and gas (if you one foot drive!) that allows a bit more time to get things going. I suspect if folks are two foot drivers they could be having issues if the sensor is in the brake action (as well as torching their brakes<g>).

Old 02-10-2022, 09:11 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@_Allegedly - I've played around with this at stop signs, etc. Usually I'm like most folks and manually turn it off by hitting the button. But sometimes I forget. What I've noticed is that it doesn't really take the gas. I've just let off the brakes and it will start up. Seems logical because there's a lag between brake off and gas (if you one foot drive!) that allows a bit more time to get things going. I suspect if folks are two foot drivers they could be having issues if the sensor is in the brake action (as well as torching their brakes<g>.
That's really strange because mine never turns on when I let go of the break. I do use brake hold all the time though.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

I love this forum because the group minds can figure things out better. I have the brake hold off all the time. Maybe I'll waste some time and see if it changes things.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I love this forum because the group minds can figure things out better. I have the brake hold off all the time. Maybe I'll waste some time and see if it changes things.
With brake hold off, yours is working like a traditional stop start on any other jlr product before they had brake hold. The engine starts back up when you let go of the brake.

With brake hold on, you have to push the gas to get the engine to start again.

​​​​​​I'm wondering if the issue is with people that have brake hold turned on. With it set up that way, when you go to press the gas it can definitely be rough off the line if you're not smooth about it (hence the stalling??)

What works for me is that very quick tap that pushes the pedal down about 3/4" to 1" then I pull my foot back and off the pedal completely almost an inch and push down again right away in one smooth motion. This has not only ended all the stalling issues for me but makes the restart and acceleration a lot smoother.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (02-10-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 06:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

I have the P300 engine and had a stall incident yesterday. 10k miles and never had any kind of engine issue before now. I'll go over the order of events.

Cold icy day, we had so much ice build up overnight that the side mirrors could only open part of the way when I unlocked it in the morning. That's unusual but happens in the area sometimes. Its been a rough winter. Noticed during the morning coffee run I did have quite a bit more random beeping from the parking sensors, low speed maneuvering sensors. The snowbanks are high on the sides of the driveway. I figured one or two sensors were iced over but wasn't sure however it was definitely acting up unusually as far as these sensors go.

Fast forward to lunch time, I was at a stop light waiting to pull out from the supermarket onto the main road. The beeping from the sensors started going off a bunch more than expected again, it's a long stop light and by now the beeping is too annoying so I went into the settings real quick and toggled off the low speed parking assist stuff. Light turns green and after pulling onto the main road maybe 1/4 of a mile traveling approx 30-40 mph the engine loses power, then surges forward for a second or two regaining power then loses it again and stalls completely.

Luckily nobody was immediately behind me at the time. I coast onto the shoulder and try to restart, it turns over but that's it. I shut everything off get out of it lock it and then wait 30 seconds, get back in and it starts up, check engine light is on but I'm able to drive. I'm near the car wash so I run it through there just in case, just to clear off the icing or whatever's going on. From there it's only a couple of minutes to ride home. Back home I opened the LR remote app on the phone it says engine is faulted, bring it in for service.

I called the dealership, got the expected status from them about how bad the parts situation is right now and how loaners are almost unobtainable, even rentals are being used but they'll see what they can do. Fortunately they called right back, they had a loaner for me so I picked that up immediately. On the trip to the dealership CEL light was off right from the very start and stayed off. Ran like a top for the entire 20 minute trip. <shrug>

Edit: And now for the funny part, my son likes the loaner better, a 2020 F-Pace. I'll be honest it's not hard to live with so far. The two-door 90 has been a burden on the kids and a 110 is a massive vehicle. I had configured several E & F-Paces prior to going all-in on the new Defender, even had my son sit in the back of the E-Pace to see if he fit in there ok. Well, I love the Defender but I'll have to consider it. At least the Defender hasn't lost any value so it's an option to jump ship I suppose...

Last edited by Chief65; 02-19-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:34 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Red Light stall Issue 2020 Defender P400 6cyl hybrid

I am experiencing the exact same issue when at a red light if the Auto Stop/Start activates while the brake hold is also active the Defender will stall or shut off and the people behind me do not enjoy my stalling tactic at the intersection.
I almost got rear-ended last week so this is a real safety issue in my view.
I have about 3k miles on this Defender and it has stalled or shut off about 4 times since delivery always under the exact same scenario, this has the smell of a software glitch that needs to be addressed ASAP by LRJ.

Old 02-24-2022, 03:35 PM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

We also had another occurrence last weekend. It's in the dealer today to see if a fault was logged.

Quick Reply: Potential Stall issues (?)