Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud Rhino Winch Mount Install + Camera Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:16 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud Rhino Winch Mount Install + Camera Issue

Hi All, just finished installing the Proud Rhino Stealth Pack Winch Mount and Warn VR EVO 10S winch (PROUD RHINO STEALTH PACK WINCH MOUNT – lucky8llc.com) . The winch and tray works really well, and I think the look very clean and practical.

However, after completing the install I've discovered a problem. It seems the front camera is pointing too high, and shows my track "going into the sky". This also makes the front 360 view and under hood view malfunction. Has anyone else installed this kit, and if so did you run into this issue? I suspect what's happening is the camera angle is not preserved when following the instructions provided. The original grill bracket appears to be at about a 15 degree down angle, and the new location appears to be 0 angle. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by recalibrating the camera, or will I need to try and create some kind of shim or new bracket? Odd that the kit would miss this pretty obvious issue. Thanks, any help/advice greatly appreciated!

The other problem is that my metal skid plate needs some kind of bracket that has not been made yet, so I had to put the original plastic skid plate back on. Hopefully the skid plate bracket will be available soon.

The completed install

The new camera location

How the track is projected incorrectly

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2023, 12:30 AM
Mudding
Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DamianP
Hi All, just finished installing the Proud Rhino Stealth Pack Winch Mount and Warn VR EVO 10S winch (PROUD RHINO STEALTH PACK WINCH MOUNT – lucky8llc.com) . The winch and tray works really well, and I think the look very clean and practical.

However, after completing the install I've discovered a problem. It seems the front camera is pointing too high, and shows my track "going into the sky". This also makes the front 360 view and under hood view malfunction. Has anyone else installed this kit, and if so did you run into this issue? I suspect what's happening is the camera angle is not preserved when following the instructions provided. The original grill bracket appears to be at about a 15 degree down angle, and the new location appears to be 0 angle. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by recalibrating the camera, or will I need to try and create some kind of shim or new bracket? Odd that the kit would miss this pretty obvious issue. Thanks, any help/advice greatly appreciated!

The other problem is that my metal skid plate needs some kind of bracket that has not been made yet, so I had to put the original plastic skid plate back on. Hopefully the skid plate bracket will be available soon.

The completed install

The new camera location

How the track is projected incorrectly

Thanks!
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have this kit on order and have been concerned about the camera angle and have been looking for options. Was considering a 3D printed bracket. Would be curious if others have found better options?

Old 09-03-2023, 09:54 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ORDPA
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have this kit on order and have been concerned about the camera angle and have been looking for options. Was considering a 3D printed bracket. Would be curious if others have found better options?
Yes, eventually (after 2-3 days or so) the camera does adjust and compensate for the new angle, so the issue "solves itself". That said, because of the fisheye effect, I did get a little bit of distortion in the various camera views, although it didn't affect the overall usability/function of the system. When I went to get my skid plate re-installed (after Lucky8 made the required bracket available), I had landrover adjust the camera angle a bit to make it more level. A bracket, or wedge of some sort would be an interesting idea. The camera is stuck on with glue/tape in the install process, which seems a bit weak to me (although I've had no issues).

Old 09-03-2023, 11:58 AM
Mudding
Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DamianP
Yes, eventually (after 2-3 days or so) the camera does adjust and compensate for the new angle, so the issue "solves itself". That said, because of the fisheye effect, I did get a little bit of distortion in the various camera views, although it didn't affect the overall usability/function of the system. When I went to get my skid plate re-installed (after Lucky8 made the required bracket available), I had landrover adjust the camera angle a bit to make it more level. A bracket, or wedge of some sort would be an interesting idea. The camera is stuck on with glue/tape in the install process, which seems a bit weak to me (although I've had no issues).
Good to know. Honestly I am not a fan of where lucky8 has put it anyway. I think I will try a 3D printed Mount that I can mount under the grill. Might have to cut the mesh grill from lucky8 around it. Also could use that sort of bracket to attach to a cross bar on the bull bar when it is installed. Not sure what I will do but I will post when done.