Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with aftermarket side ladder

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 07:37 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Question for those with aftermarket side ladder

For those with an aftermarket side ladder -- what's the spacing/gap between the backside (underneath) the ladder to the body/window?
Anyone willing to measure and/or post pictures? Even if you have a OEM ladder, it would be nice to see pics of the spacing/gap.
Thanks!

Last edited by ficklma1; 05-12-2023 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:25 AM
Drifting
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

I think that regardless of aftermarket or OEM, the holes in the frame dictate the placement. its super tight up against the back door....like cat whisker tight...id say no more than a 1/4 inch at the best. In fact when I did the install, I even had to shimmy it a touch to get it where it did not hit the door. For what its worth...mine is aftermarket, Vulcan, and it is pretty fantastic as far as I can tell at this point...only been 2 weeks. Bought the rack and lunch box as well. Even got the lunch box pre painted by them in Tasman blue, which looks pretty freaking sweet

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 07:55 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by EyeJayEhh
I think that regardless of aftermarket or OEM, the holes in the frame dictate the placement. its super tight up against the back door....like cat whisker tight...id say no more than a 1/4 inch at the best. In fact when I did the install, I even had to shimmy it a touch to get it where it did not hit the door. For what its worth...mine is aftermarket, Vulcan, and it is pretty fantastic as far as I can tell at this point...only been 2 weeks. Bought the rack and lunch box as well. Even got the lunch box pre painted by them in Tasman blue, which looks pretty freaking sweet
Thanks [utag= 864802]EyeJayEhh[/utag] for sharing.
Unfortunately I think my message wasn't clear. What I'm curious is the space behind the ladder to the body and window underneath. If you can take a pic from the side of the Defender (from back to front) that should give me a good idea. I have an aftermarket version that I installed yesterday and I can put my fingers behind the ladder with some room left over. To me it seems like the spacers which attach to the body at bottom of ladder may be too long?

Last edited by ficklma1; 05-12-2023 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:39 AM
Drifting

So I tried to get the spacers in there for ya as well. So when I slide my hand in there, it doesn't go clean and scrapes a bit on the ladder. Not scientific but one thing I found during the install is that you need to make sure the holes you put in the trim piece are large enough. 20mm i believe so that the spaces fit correctly and at the appropriate distance from the car. Maybe someone with an oem can chime in as well

ficklma1 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 10:27 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

My aftermarket looks the same. I can get my fingers behind it. The ladder should run parallel to the side of the truck.

ficklma1 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 11:03 AM
Mudding

Thanks [utag= 864802]EyeJayEhh[/utag]!
Thanks [utag= 864811] MattF[/utag]!

Would either of you mind measuring from window or body to back of plastic trim?

Last edited by ficklma1; 05-12-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:14 AM
Drifting

So assuming based on the thread that this is what you are looking to see...looks to be just above a 1/2 inch or so. So are you worried about the install? The ladder itself? The parts and process? Happy to help and really just curious

Old 05-12-2023, 11:28 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by EyeJayEhh
So assuming based on the thread that this is what you are looking to see...looks to be just above a 1/2 inch or so. So are you worried about the install? The ladder itself? The parts and process? Happy to help and really just curious
Yeah, wondering about "my" install job and also trying to determine if the aftermarket parts happen to be different than others, etc.

You can see mine is almost 3/4 from the lowest part of the window. I think my spacers are just about 1/8 to 1/4 too long?

Also the bottom is close to 3/4 as in picture and the top is closer to your measurements so it not 100% parallel to the window

Attached Thumbnails Question for those with aftermarket side ladder-ladder-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by ficklma1; 05-12-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Honestly....I don't know if it is supposed to be 100% parallel to the window. Mine sure is not, its narrower at the top, but still not touching the side.(I looked at this again and id say its pretty parallel all the way up....maybe a touch narrower at the top, but if you were not looking for it, you would never know) I have been up and down it (for testing and for no other reason than I have a ladder on my truck) and have not noticed anything other than comfort and stability. Only other thought with this is that when you are using a regular ladder, it isn't positioned vertically 100% is it? Nope, its always angled toward the thing your climbing up to fiddle with. That being said, I also have a degree in Recreation Management....so not really a qualified engineer (math not train....I think)

Last edited by EyeJayEhh; 05-12-2023 at 01:58 PM.
ficklma1 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Asking for a friend, of course.....So what exactly is that ladder used for?

Quick Reply: Question for those with aftermarket side ladder