Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the 2023.5 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 04:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the 2023.5 build

Dallas, TX here. I placed an order for a 2023.5 Defender dynamic SE set to come in June. My build consists of the following options:
-Comfort and Convenience pack
-Extended leather upgrade
-Extended black exterior pack
- Adaptive CC
- Cold climate pack
A few questions as I'm reading/seeing so many different things.

1. I understand the 23.5 models lost the clearsight camera. However, website still shows under it is under the umbrella of the "3D surround camera" standard feature, can anyone clarify?

2. My build sheet says that I do have the interactive driver display. I'm seeing many 23.5 defenders on this post with the analog display. On the contrary I'm searching new inventory on cars.com and seeing defenders x dynamic se coming with interactive driver display. My sales rep says it's up in the air for that. Any clarification?

3. My build sheet says manually adjustable steering column. Did LR drop a power adjustable steering column?

4. My build sheet says black exposed rear recovery eyes, what exactly does that look like.

5. Whenever building my car, I opted in for the Vintage Tan/Ebony windsor leather and robustec. I understand that this automatically includes the extended leather package. Does this include a leather airbag cover? When I build the car on the online configurator it shows it with a plastic cover but I know that the online configurator is not the most accurate depiction.

6. I did not opt in for air suspension. I have the regular coil suspension on my defender. How is the ride of the coils in comparison to the air suspension. My sales rep i wouldn't be able to tell the difference...but people on here seem to know more than the sales reps selling the cars.

7.Even with the smaller navigational display, is carplay still wireless?

8. My build sheet says Meridian Surround Sound system, I'm reading many reports that they are not doing the surround 14 speaker system on 23.5 and downgrading new orders to a 10 speaker. Can anybody clarify with their own experience?

Thanks Everyone. My fullsize RR is almost going to reach 100k and it's a sexy *** equipped car that ill be trading in for the defender...If I'm going for a defender I at least want a interactive display.

PS. I think it SUCKS that 23.5 don't get the 11.4 display. I drove a defender in aspen a few weeks ago and it was just straight up beautiful...and I'm pretty sure it was a base model that seemed more optioned out than the one i'm purchasing..it had like every option that i'm asking about.

Last edited by Nhajnasr; 02-07-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Black tow hooks are on the rear bumper which you can see one on my car here. That's an option you def want because it's annoying to add after the fact!

Suspension - I would say you will notice a difference between air and coil. I briefly drove a coil defender and it felt different compared to my air but was still nice. I just love the air suspension for long road trips and the extra height you get when offroad. If you're concerned about reliability I understand but if not I would get air all day.

Carplay - Yes regardless of screen size it's still wireless.

Sorry here is a better pic of the hooks. At work and just working with what I have on my computer. I have a step on one of them.

Last edited by inater; 02-07-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:31 PM
3rs
3rd Gear

I have a MY23.5 110 D300 SE on its way, should arrive next month, I will post some photos and let you know what I found.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:43 AM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

1. I understand the 23.5 models lost the clearsight camera. However, website still shows under it is under the umbrella of the "3D surround camera" standard feature, can anyone clarify? Not part of the 3d surround pack. The 3d surround images are visible in the centre display screen, not the rear view mirror. You DO still get camera's viewing backwards, but they only work up to a certain speed, and shouldnt be used as a replacement of the rear view mirror/clearsight.

2. My build sheet says that I do have the interactive driver display. I'm seeing many 23.5 defenders on this post with the analog display. On the contrary I'm searching new inventory on cars.com and seeing defenders x dynamic se coming with interactive driver display. My sales rep says it's up in the air for that. Any clarification? I have a 23.5 x-dynamic S, and it came with IDD. There have been some deliveries without IDD though. So cross your fingers.. (and ask for a nice sweetener from your dealer if you dont get it!)

3. My build sheet says manually adjustable steering column. Did LR drop a power adjustable steering column? HSE seems to include electrically adjustable.SE is manual adjustable. annoying if multiple drivers. no biggee if its just you.

4. My build sheet says black exposed rear recovery eyes, what exactly does that look like. Pics from previous poster above. These are two very strong fix points protruding from the rear bumper. standard on xdynamic packs.

5. Whenever building my car, I opted in for the Vintage Tan/Ebony windsor leather and robustec. I understand that this automatically includes the extended leather package. Does this include a leather airbag cover? When I build the car on the online configurator it shows it with a plastic cover but I know that the online configurator is not the most accurate depiction. It should be leather, but it looks like black leather. You can tell the difference in the configurator as there is stitching visible on the leather version, no stitching on the plastic cover. it does seem to toggle accurately on the UK site at least.

6. I did not opt in for air suspension. I have the regular coil suspension on my defender. How is the ride of the coils in comparison to the air suspension. My sales rep i wouldn't be able to tell the difference...but people on here seem to know more than the sales reps selling the cars. I havent tried the coils. Obviously there are pros and cons to both. The coils are probably a better bet if you plan to keep it longer term.. but the air suspension is very very good. I would notice a difference I'm sure. You get more clearance and slightly more supple ride with air sus. Get it if the cost isn't an issue.

7.Even with the smaller navigational display, is carplay still wireless? yes

8. My build sheet says Meridian Surround Sound system, I'm reading many reports that they are not doing the surround 14 speaker system on 23.5 and downgrading new orders to a 10 speaker. Can anybody clarify with their own experience? I have the 10 speaker system, it has a sub so is really quite good as a base spec. Of course comparing to a surround system side-by-side you'd notice a difference, but for me personally, the meridian system is perfectly sufficient. I just sure you have a FFRR - not sure what you have in terms of current sound system - but you may indeed notice a difference if your RR had a fully specced system then move to the 10 speaker.

Thanks Everyone. My fullsize RR is almost going to reach 100k and it's a sexy *** equipped car that ill be trading in for the defender...If I'm going for a defender I at least want a interactive display. I have the IDD and I find the IDD actually quite limited in functionality over the analogue dials. The truly practical benefits of IDD are pretty minimal. The main benefit for me for the IDD is the easy to view Map. BUT, carplay maps are NOT visible in IDD - rendering the IDD slightly pointless if you use carplay maps (google/waze). Sure I can have a nice picture of the radio station I'm listening to, and a view of the extension of my suspension/diff locks.. but do i really need them front and centre..

PS. I think it SUCKS that 23.5 don't get the 11.4 display. I drove a defender in aspen a few weeks ago and it was just straight up beautiful...and I'm pretty sure it was a base model that seemed more optioned out than the one i'm purchasing..it had like every option that i'm asking about. It is a nice screen, but the smaller screen does look more in keeping with the design. The larger screen has a slightly 'bolt on' look which isn't as clean as the smaller display that sits nicely in the dashboard.

Last edited by XplusYplusZ; 02-08-2023 at 04:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (05-02-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 07:59 AM
4wd High
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I have MY23.5 Build Delivered Oct 2022

Originally Posted by Nhajnasr
Dallas, TX here. I placed an order for a 2023.5 Defender dynamic SE set to come in June. My build consists of the following options:
-Comfort and Convenience pack
-Extended leather upgrade
-Extended black exterior pack
- Adaptive CC
- Cold climate pack
A few questions as I'm reading/seeing so many different things.

1. I understand the 23.5 models lost the clearsight camera. However, website still shows under it is under the umbrella of the "3D surround camera" standard feature, can anyone clarify?
No clearsight. 3D camera works great.

2. My build sheet says that I do have the interactive driver display. I'm seeing many 23.5 defenders on this post with the analog display. On the contrary I'm searching new inventory on cars.com and seeing defenders x dynamic se coming with interactive driver display. My sales rep says it's up in the air for that. Any clarification?
My Dynamic X SE model came with IDD. According to Macrumors, the next Apple CarPlay will extend to all of the screens in the car. Land Rover is one of the companies that will have this feature.

3. My build sheet says manually adjustable steering column. Did LR drop a power adjustable steering column?
No power steering column on mine.

4. My build sheet says black exposed rear recovery eyes, what exactly does that look like.
Yes, they are two recovery loops in the back that will be needed for recovery.

5. Whenever building my car, I opted in for the Vintage Tan/Ebony windsor leather and robustec. I understand that this automatically includes the extended leather package. Does this include a leather airbag cover? When I build the car on the online configurator it shows it with a plastic cover but I know that the online configurator is not the most accurate depiction.
Mine came with extended leather package but no leather airbag cover.

6. I did not opt in for air suspension. I have the regular coil suspension on my defender. How is the ride of the coils in comparison to the air suspension. My sales rep i wouldn't be able to tell the difference...but people on here seem to know more than the sales reps selling the cars.
Air suspension is amazing.

7.Even with the smaller navigational display, is carplay still wireless?
10.2 screen is perfect and it operates with CarPlay wirelessly. The 10.2 screen in perfect because with hand on the shift lever, your fingers will reach all of the screen so you can touch and swipe as needed.

8. My build sheet says Meridian Surround Sound system, I'm reading many reports that they are not doing the surround 14 speaker system on 23.5 and downgrading new orders to a 10 speaker. Can anybody clarify with their own experience?

Thanks Everyone. My fullsize RR is almost going to reach 100k and it's a sexy *** equipped car that ill be trading in for the defender...If I'm going for a defender I at least want a interactive display.

PS. I think it SUCKS that 23.5 don't get the 11.4 display. I drove a defender in aspen a few weeks ago and it was just straight up beautiful...and I'm pretty sure it was a base model that seemed more optioned out than the one i'm purchasing..it had like every option that i'm asking about.
P.S. It doesn't SUCKS. The 10.2 screen is perfectly designed for your fingers. Besides, you are not watching a movie on it.

Recovery Loop

Black Leather interior

The following users liked this post:
Migs8416 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

Just like to add, no issues at all on my 2022 D250
No squeaks rattles or software issues. Trans was a bit jerky at first when in traffic but improved and by 4,000 miles was smooth as silk.

l have base specification with coil springs. Have done mild off road.

l have the 10.2 screen and it's absolutely fine, l
love the way it integrates into the console.

Only ten speakers? Being the Commercial l have only four speakers, and still the audio sounds nice. A subwoofer would be an advantage but it's not available on this model.

l don't have any reservations about keeping the vehicle long term.

Last edited by lightning; 05-02-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:18 PM
3rs
3rd Gear

Took MY23.5 D300 SE Pangea Green/White roof delivery last month.

I did not get Meridian Sound System (10 speakers + 1 Sub), instead I got the Sound System (6 Speakers only).
10in touch screen.
Clearsight
Configurable/Premium Cabin light
Interactive Driver Display

I have not tried Meridian Sound System before can someone share their experience compare to 6 speakers? a big gap?, Im abit dissapointed meridian sound is sonething that I wanted for the SE as standard, I understand now the MY 24 dont have model line SE anymore, is called X Dynamic SE, which has the merdian sound system.

Last edited by 3rs; 05-02-2023 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

We took delivery of our 110SE last week. The only thing "missing" was the interactive display. Will never miss it though.
We were able to get the 11.4" center screen though. A very nice addition!
The surround sound is also surprisingly good!

Regardless, don't get too hung up on what is missing, these are really fun, unique vehicles!

The following 2 users liked this post by ZL1Ragtop:
3rs (05-03-2023), ficklma1 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 05:37 AM
7th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with the above. I just took delivery a few weeks ago on an X-Dynamic with Vintage Tan, IDD, Feb 23 production. Can confirm it has extended leather package but the steering wheel cover is not covered in leather. Wanted it too but no big deal. Did not come with Clear Sight, which I of course would’ve welcomed but I will say it’s been fine adjusting to the limited view out of the back, and I’m coming from an X5 and a Macan.

IDD seems to be a mixed bag right now. I started the process by trying to modify an April production vehicle, but couldn’t get IDD and the 22” wheels in silver that I originally wanted. Wonder if it’s a parts limitation with the First Edition 130’s… which I think are also getting Clear Sight.

Mine also has the smaller vs larger center screen… again, would’ve welcomed the larger size but it’s honestly been fine and I agree looks good with overall design. If you ever want to feel better about it, just go drive a 2022 Macan and see how life feels with CarPlay only taking up about 5” of the screen. I think my vision got worse from it!

All this to say, you may not get every single thing you want but it’s a great vehicle. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Good luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by EigerCT:
3rs (05-09-2023), FareWarning (05-07-2023), WAFOX (05-07-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 01:51 PM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rs
Took MY23.5 D300 SE Pangea Green/White roof delivery last month.

I did not get Meridian Sound System (10 speakers + 1 Sub), instead I got the Sound System (6 Speakers only).
10in touch screen.
Clearsight
Configurable/Premium Cabin light
Interactive Driver Display

I have not tried Meridian Sound System before can someone share their experience compare to 6 speakers? a big gap?, Im abit dissapointed meridian sound is sonething that I wanted for the SE as standard, I understand now the MY 24 dont have model line SE anymore, is called X Dynamic SE, which has the merdian sound system.
How is the 6 speakers? Are they okay or awful?

Quick Reply: Questions about the 2023.5 build