2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Cabin Mod - glass and dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 09:39 PM
Mudding
Received 115 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Quiet Cabin Mod - glass and dynamat?

Looking into my next major modification, which is going to be an upgraded aftermarket sound system.

As part of the upgrade, I’d like to further reduce road noise. Questions for people who have gone this route:

1. I have Dynamat in the front and rear doors already. If I tell the installer to go to TOWN with the headliner etc, will I get much noise reduction? Has anyone done it?

2. Double glazed/ laminated glass - my Range Rover had some type of laminated glass. Looks like the attached photo. The Defender only has a single pane.. I am in the SE model.

Can anyone with a higher spec HSE or X model confirm whether the double laminate glass is deployed there? I’d be open to finding a part number and having it installed.

any other tips to decrease road and wind noise?

cheers.

(here is an example of the dual laminated glass)

Old 01-12-2023, 12:15 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

i completed a full upgraded audio upgrade. I sound deaden all the doors with multiple layers of dynamat material and final layer or closed cell foam. ended up doing the trunk space where my new subs and amp rack sits.

i would start with sound deadening the entire floor before messing with the headliner. i heard it’s difficult to put back

with what i have done so far it made a major difference in reduction of road noise and much quieter cabin.

what’s the new audio plan look like

Originally Posted by Pangea123
Looking into my next major modification, which is going to be an upgraded aftermarket sound system.

As part of the upgrade, I’d like to further reduce road noise. Questions for people who have gone this route:

1. I have Dynamat in the front and rear doors already. If I tell the installer to go to TOWN with the headliner etc, will I get much noise reduction? Has anyone done it?

2. Double glazed/ laminated glass - my Range Rover had some type of laminated glass. Looks like the attached photo. The Defender only has a single pane.. I am in the SE model.

Can anyone with a higher spec HSE or X model confirm whether the double laminate glass is deployed there? I’d be open to finding a part number and having it installed.

any other tips to decrease road and wind noise?

cheers.

(here is an example of the dual laminated glass)

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 06:07 AM
Winching
Received 212 Likes on 152 Posts

I do not believe the double glazed laminated glass is an option on the Defender.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

I played around with the configurator a lot before I ordered mine. In the USA at least, I didn't see double laminated as an option ever on the defender, even with the X or V8 X.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:09 AM
Winching
Received 212 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekkie
I played around with the configurator a lot before I ordered mine. In the USA at least, I didn't see double laminated as an option ever on the defender, even with the X or V8 X.
That is correct.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:15 PM
Winching

great video comparing different levels of sound deadening/ sound proofing

Old 01-12-2023, 02:05 PM
Mudding

Thanks for all the good information everyone.

Too bad about the glass. Sounds like more sound deadening will help but not crazy amounts.

Ehloo, I am going to the installer today to get a quote on the system. If you don’t mind, can you share some details on the audio you installed?

Do you like how it sounds? How much improvement? Any photos!

Jrunr619 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 12:45 AM
Winching

My installer post a full build log of every project on Facebook. FB won’t allow me to post the link. search Simplicity in Sound Facebook in google. once you get to the page scroll a little down the page and you will see my full build. It’s the v8 carpathian. My installer also did another defender and full build log is further in

not sure what’s your budget but both the other defender and my build is prob more than most would swallow. Mine was actually considered on the lower side

i really enjoy music and in the car a lot so a hifi system was really important.

The Morel speakers are amazing. i heavily researched before starting my build and can help with some nuances with the defender meridian system that could cause your installer some issues.

i went with dual 10 inch woofers with about 1000 watts rms. Audio control bass ****. Really love that i can keep it tame majority of the time or let it boom on those rough days and drive home

Originally Posted by Pangea123
Thanks for all the good information everyone.

Too bad about the glass. Sounds like more sound deadening will help but not crazy amounts.

Ehloo, I am going to the installer today to get a quote on the system. If you don’t mind, can you share some details on the audio you installed?

Do you like how it sounds? How much improvement? Any photos!

Last edited by Ehloo; 01-13-2023 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:53 AM
Mudding

Ehloo, thanks for the input on your system. I looked your build up on FB and it sounds like a real winner. Nice blacked out V8 by the way!!

The installer I’m looking at is Audio Toyz in Orange County CA. I’m attaching what they’re recommending.

it’s a combination of Audison amp and Hertz speakers and sub.

they are confident with the defender having done several. Their approach to the artificial engine noise is to tune it out. I brought up the possibility of coding it out and they stated they’ve been successful in the past, so I should wait and see, and then could go the additional step if needed later on.

does anyone have a contact for someone in CA that can code out the artificial engine noise by the way just in case?

they will also add additional noise deadening.

one more question - I have a dog and the subwoofers are supposed to go under the loadspace. In your build, is the bass still satisfactory when you turn the **** to zero and use only the OEM sub? I don’t want to bother my boy when he’s back there!

ficklma1 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 01:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Just do what I did. Spend LOTS of time over a few decades bird hunting. Specifically upland bird hunting. It involves lots of walking and then sudden, ear piercing explosions. Also, supplement that with decades of shotgun practice. Often without adequate ear protection. Then, you'll be amazed at the quality of sounds other people hear - but have NO affinity to their efforts to sound proof a pretty quiet vehicle.....

ficklma1 (01-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Quiet Cabin Mod - glass and dynamat?