Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cargo Door Inside Release

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 12:05 PM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Rear Cargo Door Inside Release

I have not seen this addressed before, but I think it would be great to be able to open the tail cargo door from the inside. I am thinking primarily that such a feature would be handy when car camping, but it might also be a means of emergency egress.

The exterior door handle has a button that actuates a solenoid that unlatches the door and it springs open a bit. It seems that it would be straight forward to wire a switch in that circuit. The switch could be located in the hand hold on the top of the door liner.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 12:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the LR4, it's become a popular modification to add something to the inside of the rear hatch that operates as a mechanical release of the rear liftgate actuator. The actuator can fail over time, and if it fails when the hatch is closed (which it always does), then it's a colossal PITA to get it open to work on it. Thus, the mechanical release serves two functions: allowing you to open the rear door from the inside, and a failsafe if the actuator bricks.

I'm curious if the new Defender has a similar actuator, of if it's less failure-prone. Anyway, adding a mechanical release may be better regardless.

Here's PowerfulUK's video on adding it to the LR4:

Here's the part:

https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/...iscovery-l319/

I wonder if they can make one for the new Defender (or if this same part can somehow be used).

Old 06-21-2022, 12:34 PM
Mudding

Mechanical would be the way to go as then you would not need electrical power, say if the battery was dead. The door lock circuit I believe is normally live, that is not dependent on the ignition being switched on.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to add, one time when I was out camping for a few days the battery went flat and I could not open the rear door ... had to jump start my car and only then could I get it to pop out.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Oh, this has GOT to be on Simon's list. I think a lot of folks would like this add to the Defender. PowerfulUk, where are you? You're my only hope...

Old 06-23-2022, 01:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Oh, this has GOT to be on Simon's list. I think a lot of folks would like this add to the Defender. PowerfulUk, where are you? You're my only hope...
Looks like they have already go t a start. Bring on the video!

Rear Door Internal Release Tap-In Loom for Land Rover Defender L663

Part No. EWL138-Door-Kit

£15.00
Sorry - this item is currently out of stock
Notify me when back in stock:
  • Email:

Rear Door Internal Release Tap-in Loom

for Land Rover Defender L663
This listing is for a rear door release tap-in loom for the Land Rover Defender L663.

This loom allows you to install an internal switch to open the rear door from the inside of the vehicle.

This would be handy if you camp in your Defender 'overland style'.

Note: This kit does not include a switch, so you just need to source and install a switch of your choice.

This kit includes a custom made plug-and-play tap-in loom, so no alterations to your vehicles wiring are neccessary.

We also supply you with a spring-lever connector for easy connect/disconnect.

Once the tap-in loom is plugged in you just need to connect your switch (not supplied) via the spring lever connector.

This is not a genuine Land Rover accessory.

Fitting details
Fitting video coming soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by Drednot:
catman (06-23-2022), GrouseK9 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 02:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Perfect!! Everyone else beat me to it and it's now backordered. At least I signed up for the product alert when it happens. Warms my heart that they are leading the market here.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

SWEET. Uhhh, anyone have URL for this item on their website. Not coming up in search / menu bar?

Old 06-23-2022, 04:03 PM
Mudding
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

I bet this would be super cool install. What I'm not sure of is

1) Given the wiring in the door, if a dog hit an added switch, would the door unlatch and potentially open when the Defender doors are locked?
2) And would it open if doors are unlocked and car is moving (or stopped in traffic, etc).

Either would be a big ruh roh with rowdy dogs like mine -- or is the power switched off to the latch while moving or if doors are locked. Guessing it is... so it's likely "if the door can't be opened from the ouside, the additional button inside on the same circuit also wouldn't activate the un-latch.

For cosmetics of the switch... Not sure about depth behind various areas of the interior Defender tail door panel for mounting options. Two genuine switch ideas could be a very clean install... either the LR3/LR4 lower tailgate switch w/ rubber cover, or maybe the Evoque switch?

Last edited by nashvegas; 06-23-2022 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Cargo Door Inside Release