2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Locker compulsory on these trails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear Locker compulsory on these trails?

I'm considering a beautiful and available 2020 Defender with all the right options but for a rear locker. That makes me slightly nervous, the last two Jeep Wranglers I owned had Rubicon specs that I made full use of - front and rear lockers, sway bar release, lift, winch etc. These days though, I'm happy to stay at the "fun but adventurous trail level" so my question is do I really need a rear locker or can the advanced electronics in the new Defender with off-road tires handle my needs. Doesn't have to match the Jeep, I'm trying to avoid those trails where your passengers actually get out of the car in complete horror of what's ahead... and no more winching up vertical cliffs for me (honestly). I'd appreciate some feedback from folk that have actually trailed a Defender with and without a rear locker. I'd want a rig at least capable of the usual gamut of Moab/Utah trails without embarrassment... Fins, Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider etc. Did anybody run those without the rear locker? Finding a Defender (non X) in the US with the rear locker is near impossible, not sure why the dealers didn't spec them given the brand. I could custom order, but hearing of long delays now. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't have the rear locker but I have done Fins without issue. Poison Spider and Hells Revenge if you hit every obstacle are more challenging but also have bypasses so if you need to move around something you can't handle there is that option. But I do know back when the prototypes were running around Moab they did these trails, just don't know if the locker was on those versions.

Good tires + airing down go a long way!

Old 01-19-2021, 02:47 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I’ve done most trails in Moab. My Defender doesn’t have a rear locker but it did everything a fully locked 2020 Rubicon did easily. Now don’t get me wrong, if you can get the locker do it, but if you don’t have one or are purchasing one without one I wouldn’t worry.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:51 PM
Mudding
Old 01-19-2021, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Old 01-19-2021, 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Not a problem, if you are willing to sell the vehicle and purchase one (new or used) with a rear electronic diff., if you decide your needs have changed -- as it is not realistic to ever think it can be added post-purchase.

I lived for years with my LR4 with no rear locker and I always regretted it (and the 19 inch stock low-profile tires) ---- and yes, I did get stuck a few times because of it. But, realistically, over the long-term, it was still great to have the rest of the capability of the vehicle.

Up to you ......

Old 01-19-2021, 04:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Great feedback from you both - very helpful. Love the pictures too! I wouldn't expect the need of a rear locker on Fins, but certainly some of the other trails. I'm impressed if you stayed with that locked Rubicon with no issues, I know what mine is capable of and if a Defender can do that in essentially standard drivetrain trim then fantastic news. It also looks like you are both running 20's which offer little in sidewall protection. I assume you only air those down to 30 lbs or so. The Jeep looks set up similar to mine so 15-18 lbs gives plenty of flex. I see a few folk modifying their rear brakes on the P400 to allow for 18" wheels but I'd prefer to avoid that, would hate to wreck a nice set of 20" rims though. Did your wheels survive the test, any recommendations?

Old 01-19-2021, 04:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Not a problem, if you are willing to sell the vehicle and purchase one (new or used) with a rear electronic diff., if you decide your needs have changed -- as it is not realistic to ever think it can be added post-purchase.

I lived for years with my LR4 with no rear locker and I always regretted it (and the 19 inch stock low-profile tires) ---- and yes, I did get stuck a few times because of it. But, realistically, over the long-term, it was still great to have the rest of the capability of the vehicle.

Up to you ......
Yeah. I have that seed of doubt that I'm try to overcome with my questions. Will I regret seeing my buddies disappear in to the distance (trail rules) while I get the gloves on and roll the winch out in search of a friendly tree...

Old 01-19-2021, 07:03 PM
Mudding

Two things:
1. The LR4 terrain response system is nothing like the 2020 Defender. The LR4 is 2016 tech and the 2020 TR & TR2 are WORLDS APART!

2. The 20's im running i aired down to 13 psi and no issues with traction.

I know everyone loves to compare different vehicles but it really needs to compare apples to apples.aplease only compare 2020 other land rovers to the 2020 defender only. Any other comparison doesnt give credit to what land rover did for 2020 terrain response.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1107
The LR4 terrain response system is nothing like the 2020 Defender. The LR4 is 2016 tech and the 2020 TR & TR2 are WORLDS APART!
I'm thinking the LR4 terrain response is 2010 technology at best and more likely the same as the LR3 2005 terrain response technology.

Quick Reply: Rear Locker compulsory on these trails?