2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Locker compulsory on these trails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 05:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately I don't have any real world off-road experience with the LR terrain response over the years, but it sounds like the 2020-21 Defender is far superior. Nevertheless, my dealer has given me an option on an April build that could be tweaked to have the Off-Road Package and Active Rear Locker added - pondering, but I think this might be the way to go for me, I'll give up a sweet 2020 model at a reasonable price in exchange for a 2021 with exactly my needs. Just need a little patience for delivery. I'll have a vehicle that might retain more value since there are seemingly few non-X with this capability and I'm hearing aftermarket lockers are not likely. Thanks for all the help.

The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage12
Unfortunately I don't have any real world off-road experience with the LR terrain response over the years, but it sounds like the 2020-21 Defender is far superior. Nevertheless, my dealer has given me an option on an April build that could be tweaked to have the Off-Road Package and Active Rear Locker added - pondering, but I think this might be the way to go for me, I'll give up a sweet 2020 model at a reasonable price in exchange for a 2021 with exactly my needs. Just need a little patience for delivery. I'll have a vehicle that might retain more value since there are seemingly few non-X with this capability and I'm hearing aftermarket lockers are not likely. Thanks for all the help.
I can’t speak to the capability on those trails as I’ve never been (but would love to one day). But I did spend months looking for a Defender with a rear locker. I called dealers up to 350-400 miles away regularly to see what they had available both on their lot and incoming. The few that had the rear differential locker had other options I didn’t care for or that wouldn’t work for my needs. In the end I sat down with my local dealer to order one to my exact spec and couldn’t be happier. I’ve had the car for only a week now and I’m loving every drive. I’m probably responsible for 40-50 builds on the LR site.

Order the one you want, exactly the way you want it and you won’t regret it. It’ll be here before you know it and you’ll be glad you did!

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go back into the garage and stare at mine...

The following 2 users liked this post by 4Corsa:
jusmax88 (01-05-2023), TrioLRowner (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:59 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with all of the above posts - the modern terrain response and traction control capabilities in the stock config of the new Defender are incredible and even an open dif here is far better than the older-gen models have ever been.

But since you asked for feedback........I would say get the e-diff. If it was someone coming new into the offroad community with little or no offroad experience than I would say No need for the e-diff. But given your background and the previous trucks you've used/wheeled, i would think it would nag at you to not have that option and also you would likely notice (more than others) what not having that capability does in terms of limitations and compromises out on the trail. Sure you could find away around those obstacles - but do you want to?

I had your same concerns and similar background though my wheeling before was with my '04 D2 and then my older D110. When i got this one I could have been convinced to get a truck without e-diff but spent some time to try and find one and ended up getting both offroad packs on my P400 SE. My dealer had several on the lot with the offroad pack options. Have you asked your dealer to do a search?

Get the one you want - you'll never regret that decision.

AndrewT

The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi,

I've had 3 other Rovers and two of them had the rear locker. They are more capable with the locker for sure. But i have ran Fins and Things and Hells revenge with all of them, even the unlocked Discovery and they will do it.

I can tell you the Defender is way more capable than my previous 2017 Discovery. Approach and Departure angles make the most difference but the Terrain response two system is pretty nice.

Rob

Old 01-22-2021, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Great community, great feedback.

Yes, the dealer has searched inventory in the US, none with the two color options I was looking at along with a few other packages including towing. Of course the choices narrow the more options you want.

While I have some experience with difficult trails I think my priority these days is towards safe fun. I know I'm not going to run a new $80K Defender in to Pritchett's Canyon. So, I was trying to convince myself an open diff vehicle would be fine to run the trails I mentioned. I guess it is. Decisions decisions. Left or Right. Years ago it was obvious which way I would turn ... (hopefully not a sacrilegious picture of the current chariot to make the point).