2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remarkable capability

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 01:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Yes, TFL underinflated according to LR’s recommendation. But why does LR have that recommendation? As my comments above pointed out, it’s because of the weakness of the sidewall of the Goodyear — the TFL video AND my personal experience last week verified that obstacles which shouldn’t rip out the sidewall of an offroad tire do exactly that in Wrangler Adventures. In my case at recommended pressure (light load), in theirs at lower pressure that’s even more likely to rip a sidewall. Thassall I’m sayin’…

Sure, they inflated down to a pressure that is likely to rip a sidewall when encountering a rock, but again, that’s my point. If you want more comfort (like the Jeeps he sees, according to the OP), you need to run 15 pounds. My comment was that you can’t do that with the Wrangler because of the sidewall weakness.

Another way to look at it is, if TFL had replaced the Wrangler with a Nitto Ridge Grappler in stock 20” sizing do we really think we’re having this conversation? The size is much less of a contributing factor than the tire, IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GrouseK9 (05-29-2022), TrioLRowner (06-01-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 03:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I gotta admit, when I was looking for my replacement tires, I spent a lot of time looking for Kevlar versions. Back east, not a big deal. The Hill Country of Texas is nothing but sharp limestone that started life as a sharp coral reef. Agreed that the OEM are laughable when off-road. I'm sure that some get gashed when they hit the curb at the Starbucks drive-thru.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:44 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
If the video you reference is the one made by TFL then I'm afraid we can't take that seriously. Instead of following our recommendations they chose to deflate their low profile tyres before entering a rocky area. Low profile tyres should not be deflated beyond our recommended settings in this type of environment. In fact, none of our tyres require deflation below our recommended lowest setting.

Unfortunately, we live in an age where anyone with a digital camera can pose as an automotive expert. While there are some people on Youtube that possess engineering backgrounds or have extensive experience with advanced off-road theory- the folks at TFL are not in that group.
I’d read that lowering tyre pressures on the new Defender wasn’t recommended, but thanks for confirming. It seems that lowering pressures is standard, but I thought in mud you want to cut through the surface, so not lower pressure. And on sand, I’ve been told by a 4WD touring company around Fraser Island, a large sand island, that lower pressures aren’t needed on his Discoveries. Just use low traction launch if you get stuck…but his view is you only get stuck if you don’t drive properly on sand. I don’t know anything, so it has all been very confusing.

Nevertheless, with standard pressures of 3o+psi, I happily trundled up that muddy hill behind massive off-road beasts. It almost felt comical.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon14
I’d read that lowering tyre pressures on the new Defender wasn’t recommended, but thanks for confirming. It seems that lowering pressures is standard, but I thought in mud you want to cut through the surface, so not lower pressure. And on sand, I’ve been told by a 4WD touring company around Fraser Island, a large sand island, that lower pressures aren’t needed on his Discoveries. Just use low traction launch if you get stuck…but his view is you only get stuck if you don’t drive properly on sand. I don’t know anything, so it has all been very confusing.

Nevertheless, with standard pressures of 3o+psi, I happily trundled up that muddy hill behind massive off-road beasts. It almost felt comical.
My one and only trip to fabulous Fraser Island, I got off the ferry and promptly got myself bogged in a LandCruiser. Not too badly. 10 minutes or so of digging with my mates and we were on our way. Great craic. Of all Fraser's sights, the two Dutch lasses I met that trip, their disdain for clothes notwithstanding, had to be the finest.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (05-31-2022), Simon14 (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 03:58 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
My one and only trip to fabulous Fraser Island, I got off the ferry and promptly got myself bogged in a LandCruiser. Not too badly. 10 minutes or so of digging with my mates and we were on our way. Great craic. Of all Fraser's sights, the two Dutch lasses I met that trip, their disdain for clothes notwithstanding, had to be the finest.
I think it happens to a lot of people. The guy I know who runs a 4WD touring company gave me two pieces of advice. Build momentum when you see soft sand. If the car starts to struggle, don’t keep going. Stop, reverse a couple of cars length and go again. He basically said momentum, not more accelerator. In the two days I was there in his Discovery 3, I never once got stuck but helped dig out several vehicles and a caravan on the tracks I was using. And I really had no clue beyond his instructions.

It is an amazing place though. The beach driving was amazing and the clear creek that you float down was stunning. The inland lakes were beautiful too.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (05-30-2022)