Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Remote Start Question

When I start my vehicle through the app, the engine starts, but I've noticed no lights come on. Is this normal? Is there a way to set it so the parking lights are on when the vehicle is remotely started? I've never had a car that didn't turn on the parking lights when using the remote. Obviously, it's not a big deal. I just like the visual confirmation that the car is running.
Also, who thought it was a good idea to ONLY be able to remotely start this vehicle through the app, and not also be able to use a button on the key like almost every other vehicle on the road?? That's honestly my biggest complaint about the Defender, which I suppose does tell you how great this truck is. But, it's still dumb.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:08 AM
Huc
Mudding
Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Having used remote start numerous times here in the past few months, I'm not aware of any setting within the Remote Start App that turns on any lights or other interior options. Basically one can set the temp and fire the vehicle up for 30 minutes seems about the extent of things. Edit: There may be other options for opening windows I have yet to try in the winter months

I find it interesting as there are, as you pointed out, a few other functions that would be beneficial. In chats with friends and family with other remote start capable vehicles the options seem to vary greatly between brands.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 01:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JayO
When I start my vehicle through the app, the engine starts, but I've noticed no lights come on. Is this normal? Is there a way to set it so the parking lights are on when the vehicle is remotely started? I've never had a car that didn't turn on the parking lights when using the remote. Obviously, it's not a big deal. I just like the visual confirmation that the car is running.
Also, who thought it was a good idea to ONLY be able to remotely start this vehicle through the app, and not also be able to use a button on the key like almost every other vehicle on the road?? That's honestly my biggest complaint about the Defender, which I suppose does tell you how great this truck is. But, it's still dumb.
Pretty sure I read somewhere that not putting a button on the key had something to do with European Union requirements, and that by doing it through an app they could offer remote start and get around that law? I could be totally making that up...

With that said, just be glad it starts. My experience with the app is that about 12 percent of the time it will start as it should. 28 percent of the time it won't respond to anything because it's in sleep mode after being parked too long. 33 percent of the time it says it started on the app and is running but the Defender never actually started, and 27 percent of the time the app crashes.

buzzinfrog (12-22-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 07:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Its absolutely insane that there is no remote start option on the key.. Its my only big complaint about my new Defender. You would think a 100k+ vehicle would have remote start as standard but nope, they lock it behind a paywall in a app that doesn't work. Mind boggling they got away with it.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:06 AM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Huc
Having used remote start numerous times here in the past few months, I'm not aware of any setting within the Remote Start App that turns on any lights or other interior options. Basically one can set the temp and fire the vehicle up for 30 minutes seems about the extent of things. Edit: There may be other options for opening windows I have yet to try in the winter months

I find it interesting as there are, as you pointed out, a few other functions that would be beneficial. In chats with friends and family with other remote start capable vehicles the options seem to vary greatly between brands.
I agree with Huc and that is my experience. Compared to my tesla and other cars through key fob it is really bad tech. I haven't been able to get the climate set to what I want really either. Have to mess around with it more. I spoke with my sales guy, who also owns a tesla. He says LR is not a tech company and that is where they lag behind all other car manuf. He said their Pivipro is finally something that is sort of on par with al the other car companies in car tech. He agreed they hired a company to do the LR app and they all realize it's really a bad non intuitive system.
It took me forever to realize the climate was how to start it. It doesn't even say it will start the car, just that it will start the climate.

I like the fact that I can lock my key inside the car using the lock/unlock part of the app for when I dont want to carry that big key fob around.

ficklma1 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 06:14 AM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never had the functionality before, but really like it.

I don't find the app bad to use. I actually have my phone with me far more than my car keys, so remembering I'm going to leave in 15 mins, it's easier for me to trigger the start via the app than going and finding the keys.

If the car's not parked outside your house, when you're shopping or if you're coming back from a hike, etc, it's useful to have it in the app. I dont know how other models do this using the key?

On the lights off thing - i think it feels slightly more secure if a vehicle is stealthily running without the lights on (especially when parked in public). I live in a city and have to park on the street, away from my house. It would definitely draw attention if a car was idling with the lights on and nobody inside.

The following 3 users liked this post by XplusYplusZ:
mdgs (02-17-2023), paule (12-11-2023), Phil McCracken (12-12-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Every single car I know of, that has a remote starter, has a button on the fob to start the car. My Jeeps had dedicated buttons, BMW's have you push the logo (lock button) three times, etc. This clearly isn't Tesla level tech. Having the app is nice - when it works, but these are vehicles that are supposed to be able to go anywhere. I'd imagine there are times when someone is staying somewhere without great cell service, and therefore is unable to use the app to start the car, Again, I understand this is a first world problem for sure, but it' still annoying.
Also, I've noticed the remote start doesn't work 90% of the time if the vehicle is unlocked. In the past, and vehicle I've had will just lock the doors and then start the car. The Defender seems to have a problem with that more often than not.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:05 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Every single car I know of, that has a remote starter, has a button on the fob to start the car. My Jeeps had dedicated buttons, BMW's have you push the logo (lock button) three times, etc. This clearly isn't Tesla level tech. Having the app is nice - when it works, but these are vehicles that are supposed to be able to go anywhere. I'd imagine there are times when someone is staying somewhere without great cell service, and therefore is unable to use the app to start the car, Again, I understand this is a first world problem for sure, but it' still annoying.
Also, I've noticed the remote start doesn't work 90% of the time if the vehicle is unlocked. In the past, and vehicle I've had will just lock the doors and then start the car. The Defender seems to have a problem with that more often than not.
I believe the manual states that the vehicle must be locked and alarmed to use the remote start. If it is not locked, then just lock it using the app, then start it. Mine works 100% of the time.

The following 6 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
ficklma1 (02-17-2023), Huc (02-17-2023), MattF (02-17-2023), mdgs (02-17-2023), paule (12-11-2023), SpyHop (12-12-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2023, 02:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Tried mine for the first time this morning (18*F). Set temp to 70*, decided after 15 minutes to shut it off via the app, “command failed”. So yeah…semi-reliable.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:48 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

I understand the frustration of not having the ‘Remote Start’ button on the key fob, but in reality, one must be in range for the key fob button to work. Which is great on a cold/hot morning getting ready for work and all you need to do is press the button on the fob to start it. BUT, if you think about it you may even have to go to the front door or window nearest the vehicle to get the fob in range. With the app, the functional range is not an issue. My greatest benefit from the app system is being able to begin packing up my beach gear on a stifling Florida day, start my Defender remotely, while still on the beach, to activate the climate system while the interior temperature is about 120 degrees, so that when I reach my vehicle in the blazing parking lot, it is already cooled down to a livable temperature. Which, by the way, you cannot do with a button on a key fob. Additionally, I like the app because I can open it on my iPhone, verify that it is locked, alarmed, windows up, doors closed, how much fuel is remaining and the remaining miles until empty. And I can check my past trips in ‘Journeys’, see the time between my start point and arrival at my destination and the average miles per gallon for each trip. Can’t do that with a button on a key fob.

The following 4 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
ficklma1 (02-19-2023), Huc (02-18-2023), paule (12-11-2023), SpyHop (12-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Remote Start Question