Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reverberation with added rack & sun roof open 2021 110

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 03:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default reverberation with added rack & sun roof open 2021 110

2021 Dfender X-110 HSE : Anyone annoyed with the fact you can not drive at speeds higher then 20 mph if you have the optional luggage rack mounted and with the sunroof open? Unless you like the very LOUD flutter noise... its really a bad design. I need to come up with a wind deflector of some type - or, maybe something else that looks good and changed the wind pattern so you can enjoy the truck with the roof open whilst driving on the road. maybe a light bar or?? does anyone have an idea on how to fix or sources that have alternatives?

Old 01-12-2022, 06:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

The Expedition OEM rack?

I haven’t had this issue at all.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:11 PM
4wd Low

Glad for you I don't know how that could be though if its the same rack? unless they (factory) decided to forget something on mine when installing it! my wind noise is deafening - especially at highway speeds. even cracking various windows on the truck doesn't allow me enough solace to enjoy the option

Old 01-13-2022, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@TIE1ONALWAYS - Have you taken it to the Dealer? NOT that I recommend that, just wondering what lame **** response they might have given you since it's not a common complaint if it's working as designed. In some other threads people have pointed out that two things could be the cause of all that noise. If you've done these, ignore this and someone else may benefit on a search. If not read on.

Neither are difficult to solve, you just need a ladder, patience, sockets and a torx key (like a hex key but star shapped). (It may be a safety torx in some, I forget. If so, welcome to the life of excuses to buy new tools). Anyway: Option #1 is that some of the rubber trim up there is missing or, worse, loose. In my experience missing isn't as much a big deal as loose and flapping. Run your hand, visually check all the rubber gaskets that run with each of the cross bars up there. If there are no ends flapping around or fronts pulled up then try Option #2.

#2 is to check to make sure ALL of the torx bolts up there are properly tightened. Can't find anything on proper torque if you want to be precise, but everything else up there is between 27nm - 32nm. This is the install instructions (LAND ROVER ACCESSORY FITTING INSTRUCTIONS). Then check ALL of the bolts that hold the rack to the clamps, clamps to the rails, rails to the roof, AND the cross tracks with the side supports of the actual rails (that use the torx). I suggest starting with just a firm hand shake at each mounting point. That typically results in something wiggling (loose) or clunking (very loose). I was surprised with how many of those things had worked loose (if they were ever tightened).

Also note, while the recommendation is not to drive >80mph, I live in Texas where many of the roads are 80mph or 85mph. You can imagine what actual speeds are. I've not had any excess noise from the Expedition rack. Now, other stuff I did made it worse, but my fault and not the rack...

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2022, 09:56 AM
4wd Low

GrouseK9:
thank you for the great & detailed reply. As soon as I get my truck back from having the Calipers painted (since the dealer had no answer on why my fronts were med gray and rears where 10 shades lighter /silver ????) I couldn’t look at it anymore and spent $1500 having them powder coated (Land Rover green). I will check ALL the expedition roof rails and mounts and any rubber. I will also Ck the vertical air blocker that sits just behind and below the lead edge.
what I think I am experiencing is wind noise and how when the roof is open the air is forced into & thru the roofline? When you crack a window - traditionally the rear) it changes or lessons the pitch or tone - but really not the volume. I too live in Texas and yes I do drive ALL of the speed limits here ++ I have much to do and less time to do it !!! (I always wanted to be a race car driver as soon as I Ck this all out - I will report back for the benefit of all as you have.
bless our fellow LR owners!
patrick

Old 01-13-2022, 01:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by TIE1ONALWAYS
GrouseK9:
thank you for the great & detailed reply. As soon as I get my truck back from having the Calipers painted (since the dealer had no answer on why my fronts were med gray and rears where 10 shades lighter /silver ????) I couldn’t look at it anymore and spent $1500 having them powder coated (Land Rover green). I will check ALL the expedition roof rails and mounts and any rubber. I will also Ck the vertical air blocker that sits just behind and below the lead edge.
what I think I am experiencing is wind noise and how when the roof is open the air is forced into & thru the roofline? When you crack a window - traditionally the rear) it changes or lessons the pitch or tone - but really not the volume. I too live in Texas and yes I do drive ALL of the speed limits here ++ I have much to do and less time to do it !!! (I always wanted to be a race car driver as soon as I Ck this all out - I will report back for the benefit of all as you have.
bless our fellow LR owners!
patrick
LR green is the caliper color I'm debating right now. Thought that would be a great choice! Small pop of color without being obnoxious. Pics please when done!!

Last edited by _Allegedly; 01-13-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:33 PM
4wd Low
Default Painted calipers for 2021 Defender x-110

Painted by UNIT -F14 - located in Plano TX … installation this Friday

The following 2 users liked this post by TIE1ONALWAYS:
mopadzi (01-14-2022), warkeld (01-14-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 01:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by TIE1ONALWAYS
Painted by UNIT -F14 - located in Plano TX … installation this Friday
Nice! What color is your truck?

Old 01-20-2022, 03:15 PM
4wd Low
Talking Painted Calipers

My Truck is Santorini Black - it has what looks like purple & green metallic flake in it ? Anyway - I should have most everything buttoned up this weekend. I am getting excited to see the end result! pics will follow